MacGirl Needs New "Mac"

TheWineLover

4 posts in this topic

Hey y'all. I'm a web designer & front end developer who is a die hard Mac user. Currently, I'm typing this on a 2010 C2D MBP... it tends to overheat with Photoshop running and pretty much anything else at the same time. So, I'm in the market for a new computer for my business.

Currently, I'm looking at "real" iMacs and Mac Minis but the price for my little business is astronomical. So, I'm considering trying my hand at a Hackintosh. I'm looking at getting this: ASUS Zenbook UX21ERF-DH52. Specs for this little ditty are here: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/asus-zenbook-ux31e-dh52/4505-3121_7-35033683.html

Has anyone attempted to make this a Lapintosh? If so, what were your findings both pros and cons. Also, being a die hard Mac user, is there a "feel" difference in speed & performance with Hackintoshes? I've never had the pleasure with working with one.

Hi!

For serious work with a hackintoshed laptop, i wouldn't use no other than a HP ProBook. To be candid, i'd never use any laptop for a hackintosh intended to be used for serious work, since a laptop is basically a pre-made combo in that only limited changes can be performed, leaving you with few options in case of unsupported hardware. The user experience on a laptop hackintosh usually doesn't begin to compare to a MacBookPro, for instance. So what i can say is: assemble a desktop computer with OSX-compatible parts. That means a Gigabyte motherboard (Asus and AsRock and even other brands can be used with varied degrees of success, but Gigabyte is the safest), a Intel Core i CPU (there's some new pentiums that share the same architecture, thus being a cheaper alternative), a nVidia Kepler series graphics card (get the 660 ti, which is basically the same as the 670 but a lot cheaper) and the TP-Link WDN4800 wi-fi card, if you really need bluetooth. It will cost you less than an iMac, and probably have a lot more power to offer.

Private message the user RampageDev, posting the link of this topic to him: he is the guy to recommend you a fully working build based on your budget.

All the best!

P.S.: when i saw "MacGirl" in the topic title, i thought it was a long retired hackintosher who had come back to activity. Just coincidence, lol.

• Like 1

I so appreciate your honesty and recommendations. I'm certainly not a newbie in the tech realm just in the hackintosh arena. I'll certainly take your advise and see what RampageDev has to say. :)

Nope... no relation but at least the title got your attention! ;-)

Cheers!!!

Hi!

For serious work with a hackintoshed laptop, i wouldn't use no other than a HP ProBook. To be candid, i'd never use any laptop for a hackintosh intended to be used for serious work, since a laptop is basically a pre-made combo in that only limited changes can be performed, leaving you with few options in case of unsupported hardware. The user experience on a laptop hackintosh usually doesn't begin to compare to a MacBookPro, for instance. So what i can say is: assemble a desktop computer with OSX-compatible parts. That means a Gigabyte motherboard (Asus and AsRock and even other brands can be used with varied degrees of success, but Gigabyte is the safest), a Intel Core i CPU (there's some new pentiums that share the same architecture, thus being a cheaper alternative), a nVidia Kepler series graphics card (get the 660 ti, which is basically the same as the 670 but a lot cheaper) and the TP-Link WDN4800 wi-fi card, if you really need bluetooth. It will cost you less than an iMac, and probably have a lot more power to offer.

Private message the user RampageDev, posting the link of this topic to him: he is the guy to recommend you a fully working build based on your budget.

All the best!

P.S.: when i saw "MacGirl" in the topic title, i thought it was a long retired hackintosher who had come back to activity. Just coincidence, lol.

• Like 1