Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sshanky

Can't boot. Can I reinstall bootloader or even OS X without starting over?

1 post in this topic

Hi,

I have been unable to boot into my Hackintosh. First, I had a boot loop at Darwin (brief flash of apple logo before rebooting), but I could get in using a stick with Chimera on it. Then, I noticed when I tried with the hard drive I got the boot0 error, so I followed the guide online involving moving a file to the boot volume. Nothing worked.

I wonder if there is a way to just reload the bootloader, overwriting some of the old stuff, but preserving the data. I originally used Tony but not sure if that was best choice...i could reload it with unib. but i'm afraid it will overwrite everything and my data will be lost.

thanks a lot..

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mattbatt
      First post, thank you all for any help offered. I am coming from a certain commercialized hackintosh community - after seeing such amazing vanilla installs and reading of the talent here, I decided to have a go at not using such software methods. And I immediately got myself into a predicament 

BACKSTORY
      I successfully upgraded from Mavericks to Mojave 10.14.2 but decided to start over and do a clean install because my Vega Frontier was not playing OOB even with Lilu & whatevergreen - and there was a lot of 'code junk' Clover barfed at boot from this 'commercialized software'.

SUCCESS
      I created Mojave USB installer from scratch using the latest Clover, it worked fine, got me to the Mojave install screen.

PROBLEM
      For reasons unknown to me, I decided for one last ditch effort to see if I could get my already installed Mojave playing nicer - instead of starting over clean. So I installed the latest Clover on my Mojave SSD, (it had a Clover version YEARS ago when I last installed Mavericks) and I replaced the EFI file with the kexts and config of my USB EFI file because I figured, since the USB installer launched, it was all good to go.

Now nothing boots after BIOS. Not my Mavericks drive, Mojave SSD, nor my USB Mojave Installer. They all hang right where Clover usually launches. I look at my USB lights and nothing flashes...

The only drive I can use is Windows 8.1 (my testing environment) and not from Clover. That's just booting windows up without any HD's plugged in.

Is there a way to rescue my predicament? I don't have another Mac computer and CloverConfig only runs on Mac. Is there a way to fix the USB from Windows? Thanks!

Specs: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 rev. 2.0, FC BIOS, i7-980x, Vega64 Frontier Edition, Nvidia GTX480, 24 GB 1333 RAM, SSD + various hardrives
    • By shmn
      Hey guys, my hack gets stuck at the attached screen, saying the 'VirtualSMC EFI module is broken' and it's waiting on some boot media. It does boot once in a while, but I cannot reproduce what makes it work, removing all USB devices doesn't help for instance. I know this seems to be a common issue, but the solutions I found didn't help.
      Please find attached the screenshot and my Clover folder. Any support much appreciated! (:

CLOVER.zip
    • By MikixIT
      Salve ragazzi, io ho un pc con sopra Windows e Sierra(che ho installato grazie a questo fantastico forum)
      Recenetemte ho avuto problemi con gli aggiornamenti windows 10(Che uso urgentemente per lavoro)
      E girando per i forum di Windows, ho capito che il problema era dato da un "interferenza" di clover di quando windows faceva i soliti riavvi quando aggiorna.

Io volevo chiedere se era possibile selezionare MOMENTANAMENTE Windows come avvio primario e quindi non su clover, una sorta di bypassare clover
      e quindi il pc avvia o riavvia e va subito ad avviare windows senza passare da clover, in modo da fare aggiornare Windows e poi "RIATTIVARE" Clover esattamente come prima
      Esiste un modo di fare ciò senza perdere clover o dati etc? 
      Grazie se risponderete, buona serata ragazzi!
    • By NRJ1024
      Hey there, I was on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 which was working perfectly. But yesterday I decided to update it to 10.14.0 Mojave from app store. I could see both Install macOS from USB as well as macOS main drive and recovery partition even in the reboot during installation but after it finished, it was all gone.
      Interestingly, there is a boot entry in UEFI called Mac OS X but clover can't see it.
      Another thing I would like to point is that my EFI partition number changed from 9 to 8 after installation.

Motherboard:  Asus H81M CS CPU:  i3 4150 Graphics:  GTX 750 Ti