BCM57781 10.8.3 network connection broken ASRock Z77E-ITX

Koekwous

5 posts in this topic

hi,

I have a ASRock Z77E-ITX mainboard and last week updated to 10.8.3 without any issues (combo update). I only have to install the IONetworkingFamily.kext (which i also used in 10.8.2) and audio kext, but i have some strange behavior with downloading files and for example youtube movies. I can easily reproduce the error to do some speedtest @www.speedtest.netand do a test, the test wil abort after a while. also download a speedtest file of 1GB it says network connection broken. On some youtube movies i see that some movies are not fully downloaded and abrupt sometimes. i have tried to reinstall the kext (first deleted), but also same issue. i also cannot find a newer version of this kext: "IONetworkingFamily.kext BCM57781" i use (BuildVersion - 602).

someone any idea? tips?

• 4 months later...

Just chiming in here since we have the same motherboard 'n stuff.  I've had the ethernet port working off and on, including 10.8.3 and 10.8.4.  Lately when I've been restarting the ethernet port stops working and in the Network preference pane it just lights up as red saying "Cable Unplugged."  Then when I delete the Ethernet interface and try adding it back again it's completely gone from the choices.  I've gotten it to work but for the life of me, I can't figure out what really is the "magic" setting.

I was using the IONetworkingFamily.kext file from this link (http://www.osx86.net/view/3089-broadcom_netlink_bcm57781.html) but that link goes nowhere now (apparently).

Basically, the ethernet port has worked great for me… when it works.

Alex, I followed your link and was excited to see this note(!):

v2.3.5 solved reboot problem which had some users. Solved problem with unplugged cable where was incorrect status.

Now the Ethernet interface shows up (YAY!!!), but I'm still having problems connecting with it.  I'm getting an invalid 169.254.XXX.XXX IP address, and setting an IP manually doesn't work either.  Here are my exact steps I've done:

1)  Downloaded the ML_BCM5722D.kext.zip

2)  Copied original IONetworkingFamily.kext from System > Library > Extensions

3)  In this copy, placed BCM5722D.kext into Contents > Plugins, like you suggested

4)  Installed modified IONetworkingFamily.kext into Extra > Extensions with Kext Wizard

5)  Rebooted

6)  Went to System Preferences > Network and immediately was notified of a new interface (and added it successfully)

Here's what System Information reports:

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x16b1

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1849

Subsystem ID: 0x96b1

Revision ID: 0x0010

Link Width: x1

BSD name: en1

Kext name: BCM5722D.kext

Location: /Volumes/Hackintosh SSD/Extra/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BCM5722D.kext

Version: 2.3.5

I've done some furtive searching elsewhere on the invalid 169.254.XXX.XXX IP address issue and the only advice seems to be to make sure to use the right .kext file.  Should I be concerned that the fix only seems to list BCM5722D, when my actual ethernet card is a BCM57781?

Thanks for the tip, and I hope to finally solve this annoying problem!!

I have BCM57780 that should be close to your model. I have internet after sleep and my internet stopped not once since I'm using 2.3.4/5 version.

Would you install Debug version and give a feedback in the same place

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/247470-bcm5722-bcm5754m-bcm5755m-bcm5787m-and-bcm5906m-nic-driver-3264-bit/?p=1939708

Maybe either I or Mieze contrive something.

----

Forgot to say, show kernel.log(Console) afterwards.