PowerMac G5 TITAN

djulink

28 posts in this topic

Hi,

Let me introduce my build.

(already shown @ tonymacx86.com)

It's a PowerMac G5 late 2004 (I suppose) ; I'm using BlackCH Front panel kit.

Hardware :

- Intel i7 3770 @ 4,3 GHz

- GTX TITAN (Zotac)

- AsRock Z77 Pro 4-M

- DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600 (16GB : 8x2)

- OCZ Agility 3 (120 GB)

- WD Caviar Green 15-EARS (1,5TB x 2)

- LG BR Combo reader/writer

- LEPA G750-MAS

- Bluetooth dongle

- D-link DWA-127 Wireless N150

- Scythe Mugen 2 revB (CPU Cooler)

- Noctua PC NF-P14 FLX 140 mm (PSU Fan Cooler)

I went through an easy-way, using Dremel to cut out the rear panel, just enough to get to the different plugs and stick the motherboard with the original G5 stands off.

post-134949-0-58937600-1364558752_thumb.jpg

post-134949-0-41261600-1364558785_thumb.jpg

post-134949-0-64893400-1364558820_thumb.jpg

post-134949-0-62239700-1364558867_thumb.jpg

post-134949-0-89768800-1365266131_thumb.png

• Like 3

is that a samsung tv on your g5 ?

Yep, and strange as it seems, it's steady :

post-134949-0-62008600-1364564519_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Any pics during the build process ?

Not much :

post-134949-0-43234500-1364564573_thumb.jpg

post-134949-0-30972300-1364564602_thumb.jpg

post-134949-0-04844600-1364564656_thumb.jpg

Fantastically clean mod, really well done on this!

Txs, it's a never ending addiction ^_^

• Like 1

Very well done mod. Surprised you have the mod posted without issue on 'he who shall not be named''s site - it being a non-gigabyte board and all. Got OSX running on there yet?

Very well done mod. Surprised you have the mod posted without issue on 'he who shall not be named''s site - it being a non-gigabyte board and all. Got OSX running on there yet?

Not yet - about OSX running, this machine gaming profile is keeping me with win 7 at the moment; fortunately I'm writing to you from my 2011 MBA work machine :)

I did not have any problems posting on Tony's site, and found - after reading - "strange" points of view about it here... I guess, after all, we're all modders, right ?

Great looking mod!

I have just started working on a G5 mod very similar to yours. I am also keeping the apple HDD caddy, using a mATX board and locating the PSU up front on the deck.

One question: How did you secure the PSU to the chassis? did you make a bracket or is it just placed on the deck?

I will be posting a thread of my build soon, I am making a bracket to hold the PSU in place.

@MiniHack

I wanted, for once in my life at least, to buy the high end GPU of the moment; my wife does not appreciate tremendous graphics as I do, I guess... :wink2:

@streelydan

I used a simple velcro to hold it down, and it's working perfectly (no metal contact vibrations and - with the Noctua Fan - no sound at all)

• Like 1

post-134949-0-64893400-1364558820_thumb.jpg

This is one of the less "back panel cut" I remember having seen. Congratz. Do you already know how you will put the final touch for the connectors opening ?

Well, I don't know yet... but am thinking of it.

Any ideas are most welcome

I remember what aquamac did, but there is no infos how it was done. Could anyway help you find a way.

Yep... I remember when I was "dreaming", looking at his mods ; that would be the holy grail to get something like that

Baudouin - to get a simple panel like that is not desperately hard but it is motherboard specific and you also have to have a motherboard that has a layout that supports having such a big gap between the IO panel and the PCI-e slots. The type of holy grail panel shown came from the careful selection of a mobo that works with the confines of the case and then the acceptance of which compromise to make.....

It does though look fantastic.

Any standard IO will require the rect. panel to be really hard up against the PCI slots and also (on the pro) will not quite fit on the "flat" of the rear panel while retaining the original 5 slots.

On the G5 the problem is slightly different in that the IO of a mATX board is cramped by the height to be not quite accessible through the slot without doing more surgery to move the fans.

Still, the difficulty in getting a clean mod is what keeps us all interested isn't it?

IMHO it is a question of choosing what is the best compromise for you and then going with it.

BTW, allegedly support may be coming in 10.8.4 for your lovely GPU.....

Even more jealous now.

;)

Baudouin - to get a simple panel like that is not desperately hard but it is motherboard specific and you also have to have a motherboard that has a layout that supports having such a big gap between the IO panel and the PCI-e slots. The type of holy grail panel shown came from the careful selection of a mobo that works with the confines of the case and then the acceptance of which compromise to make.....

It does though look fantastic.

Any standard IO will require the rect. panel to be really hard up against the PCI slots and also (on the pro) will not quite fit on the "flat" of the rear panel while retaining the original 5 slots.

On the G5 the problem is slightly different in that the IO of a mATX board is cramped by the height to be not quite accessible through the slot without doing more surgery to move the fans.

Still, the difficulty in getting a clean mod is what keeps us all interested isn't it?

IMHO it is a question of choosing what is the best compromise for you and then going with it.

I totally agree with you MiniHack. I have been thinking for a while how to manage this. I have to check the dimensions of the IO from the AsRock Z77 Pro 4-M to make an opening which matches. What amazed me is there was no cut made by djulink to move the fans here.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you MiniHack. I have been thinking for a while how to manage this. I have to check the dimensions of the IO from the AsRock Z77 Pro 4-M to make an opening which matches. What amazed me is there was no cut made by djulink to move the fans here.

Yes, but you can see the area at the top of the IO is cramped in as a result....but it is pretty good as only some audio ports look to be blocked and they are not used anyway.

The method would work really well with a board that has low profile IO. Could nicely finish it off using similar method to how I do my mATX kits. Suspend a trim plate off the 2 x 92mm fan carrier with a couple of 10mm standoffs to give a three quarters border to an IO shield. Could trim the raw surround of the case with a bit of edge trim (like on fan blow holes) and it'd tidy it up a bit more too.

• Like 1

@ MininHAck

I looked closely and carefully your pix on your site and now I do understand what you are meaning. Thanks .

@ djulink

I think there is only one holy grail back panel I/O for each Mobo, that makes the dream bigger.

Btw, you get one grail already with your dreamed graphic card.

Yes, but you can see the area at the top of the IO is cramped in as a result....but it is pretty good as only some audio ports look to be blocked and they are not used anyway.

The method would work really well with a board that has low profile IO. Could nicely finish it off using similar method to how I do my mATX kits. Suspend a trim plate off the 2 x 92mm fan carrier with a couple of 10mm standoffs to give a three quarters border to an IO shield. Could trim the raw surround of the case with a bit of edge trim (like on fan blow holes) and it'd tidy it up a bit more too.

In fact, I've changed the motherboard not long ago (had a Gigabyte 880 mATX when I put up the mod) ; on this AsRock z77 model, the PCI-E 3 port was very close to the CPU socket.

So to be able to use the PowerMac G5 genuine PCI slot for the TITAN and the PCI-E 3 port (and not a PCI-E 2 with my Grail GPU), I had to un-glue the G5 original stands-off, relocate them higher ; that's why there is so much space below, when you look to the I/O cut.

The aquamac solution would have been the perfect one, but I'm not skilled enough to work metal like that ; I tought instead, using long and thin plastic sticks to dress-up the I/O nasty cuts.

Indeed, I'm not using the audio plugin since I'm enjoying the sound capability of HDMI connection and Nvidia High Def driver.

• Like 1

Minihack, have you had a look at Kustom's G5 mesh?

Is it almost identical?

http://www.kustompcs.../info_1330.html

It is close but not identical I think. Probably it is as close as any other off the shelf sources though. For reference, G5 mesh is 5.8mm one direction, 6.25mm in the other (i.e. visually the horizontal distance looks v. similar to the vertical but isn't - typical Apple) and it looks like the mesh at KPC has a larger difference in the dimensions. It also seems to be permanently out of stock, but an enquiry to Graeme might solve that.

• Like 1