10.8.3 and AMD 7870 Eyefinity 6

Tirnion

5 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone!

I'll start at the end on this one. My end goal is to get my graphics card working with OS X. I am using an AMD 7870 Eyefinity 6 on a GA Z77-DS3H motherboard with an i7 3770k processor.

I have tried looking through kext files to add a Device ID, but only ATI7000Controller.kext had Device ID strings. That one included 0x68181002 in the strings section, so I don' t think that should be the problem. I also checked ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext, but neither of them had Device ID strings.

I've tried Chameleon, Chimera, and Clover, but none of them work. Chameleon and Chimera, I could only get mirrored screens working in Safe Mode, but nothing working otherwise. Under these conditions, it would not recognize my graphics card as anything other than AMD, it does not detect any kexts, and it tells me I have 3MB of vram. With Clover, I can get it to boot, but it gives me either a blank white or black screen, depending on settings. I can still operate volume controls and make some system sounds, but that's where it ends. One time, I did get Clover to boot to white screens with a cursor that went from one screen to the other, but I have been unable to reproduce this.

If I run on internal graphics, all of them boot fine, except Clover, which usually hangs somewhere around

IO80211Controller::dataLinkLayerAttachComplete(): adding AppleEFINVRAM notification
IO80211Interface::efiNVRAMPublished():

I have gotten Clover to boot in safe mode, but it would be nice to move past that.

I'm going to repost this across several forums, just to try to get any kind of answer. I'm not spamming, I'm just at the end of my proverbial rope on this issue.

Hi, you might want to do some reading:

http://www.insanelym...70#entry1877434

http://www.insanelym...page__hl__ 7870

To sum it up: You will most probably need Clover in UEFI mode and a VBIOS update.

EDIT: You might want to try framebuffers "OPM" and "Ikura". They are the only ones supporting 6 MiniDP ports.

Edited by k3nny
  • Like 1

With Clover, I can get it to boot, but it gives me either a blank white or black screen, depending on settings. I can still operate volume controls and make some system sounds, but that's where it ends. One time, I did get Clover to boot to white screens with a cursor that went from one screen to the other, but I have been unable to reproduce this.

Hi, I figured out there are 3 situations when using Clover to succesfully boot with my HD 7870 XT;

1. White or black screen, it needs sleep trick. It happens when I use Clover EFI (legacy booting). Meanwhile, incorrect framebuffer will gives me no signal.

2. Hangs on framebuffer (before login screen / no white/black screen). It happens in both modes (legacy and UEFI) when I set PCIe card as primary even with matched framebuffer.

3. No sleep trick. In UEFI mode, when I set onboard GPU as primary but my monitor connected to my ATI card. Again incorrect framebuffer gives either no signal or black screen.

theconnactic,

I've tried the sleep trick. I can't get it to work. I've tried quick taps and press and hold, but they both fail, and I end up needing to reboot. I even tried writing an applescript to run on login, but the computer just rebooted itself.

k3nny,

I'm reading through those articles and trying your suggestions now. Thanks!