ESXi 5.1 799733

4 posts in this topic

Guys, Please help me out, Ive patched the Datastore with the latest v110. I created a new Host with 10.7 64bit, trying to install ML, or LION, but keep getting the apple splash screen and nothing else. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Do I need to mask the CPU ID ?

THanks

O

Guys, Please help me out, Ive patched the Datastore with the latest v110. I created a new Host with 10.7 64bit, trying to install ML, or LION, but keep getting the apple splash screen and nothing else. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Do I need to mask the CPU ID ?

THanks

O

O, OS X ML or L should run fine under ESXi 5.1 build 799733 or later including the latest build 1021289 with the unlocker v1.1.0. So we are going to need a little more information, i.e. details of your hardware including CPU, is VT-x turned on in BIOS, are you using a retail version of OS X (downloaded from the App Store)?

Yes its the ML from the appstore, I grabbed the install.dmg converted it to iso, I have two different ESXi hosts I used it on, one is a Dell Inspiron 537 w Pentium E5700 Dual Cores, the other is a AMD A8-5500 HP box. The Pentium box gets shell screen with HD and CD unsussefull, the AMD gets the Apple logo. I didnt turn on VT-x I will do that see if it makes a difference.

turned on VT-x form the vsphere client, wont let me in BIOS, only option is EFI.

Yes its the ML from the appstore, I grabbed the install.dmg converted it to iso, I have two different ESXi hosts I used it on, one is a Dell Inspiron 537 w Pentium E5700 Dual Cores, the other is a AMD A8-5500 HP box. The Pentium box gets shell screen with HD and CD unsussefull, the AMD gets the Apple logo. I didnt turn on VT-x I will do that see if it makes a difference.

turned on VT-x form the vsphere client, wont let me in BIOS, only option is EFI.

O,

This is probably NOT the correct place for your question.

This is a duplicate of the response in the "ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker" thread for completeness, please respond in the other thread.

OK, in terms of your AMD box, retail OS X is never going to work as the OS X kernel contains no code to work with an AMD processor, you would need a modified kernel.

In terms of your P5700, it does support VT-x, but unless you can enable this in BIOS OS X is not going to install, and even if you could performance would be very poor. Also it is unlikely your processer would be supported in OS X L or ML, it may work with SL.

I am fairly sure if you have taken the server out of the vCenter cluster it will not be causing the issues you are having, I think the issues are down to the CPU's you are using, also having a mixed CPU environment is not ideal, you cannot easily move VM's between Intel and AMD systems without either using the standalone converter or create an OVF, so better to stick with Intel if you want to run OS X VM's, both Intel and AMD are fine for Windows and Linux VM's.