Help me figure out wiring diagram?

WhatTheTech

4 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm going to show just how much I DONT know about electronics here. I bought some momentary switches a couple of years ago, forgot about them, and just found them again. I'm thinking of putting one in another case, but I can't figure out wiring. Can someone take a look? I know that L1 and L2 would go to the PWR LED on the motherboard, but would PWR switch simply go either from 1/2 - 3/4, or 1-2 / 3-4?? Side note: these are a PERFECT fit for the G5 case (diameter is exact), but so far I have only found them in blue...

Thanks!!

T2eC16JzUE9s38-JIBQV9rFlZP60_3_zps4448aa8c.jpgT2eC16NE9s2fqQdBQV9rOl9mw60_3_zpsca0b9028.jpg

As L1 is +(positive IN voltage), L2 is -(negative IN), I guess 1 is +, 2 is - (the OUT #1) pins and 3 is +, 4 is - (the OUT #2) pins. Most likely it is two position switch i.e. if pressed once voltage goes from L1, L2 to OUT #1 and if pressed again the voltage goes from L1, L2 to OUT #2. IMO

You can check it either with multimeter (the one that can test if circuit is not broken by beeping) or using a 3v battery and a LED. Connect the battery to L pins and two LEDs to 1-2, 3-4 pins accordingly.

EDIT:

L pins are for the LED inside the switch. So the other four are IN/OUT pins. Most likely 1 + IN, 2 - IN and 3 + OUT, 4 - OUT. :)

1 and 2 are permanently and internally connected together in the switch, as are 3 and 4.

So you can use any of 1 +3, 1+ 4, 2+ 3 or 2 + 4 for your power switch to mobo connections. As there is no common earth between the switch and the LED polarity does not matter.

For the LED of course,L1 must be the positive terminal for the mobo diode connection and L2 the negative.

And on a less technical note ohhhh blue nice.

• Like 3

1 and 2 are permanently and internally connected together in the switch, as are 3 and 4.

So you can use any of 1 +3, 1+ 4, 2+ 3 or 2 + 4 for your power switch to mobo connections. As there is no common earth between the switch and the LED polarity does not matter.

For the LED of course,L1 must be the positive terminal for the mobo diode connection and L2 the negative.

And on a less technical note ohhhh blue nice.

Excellent, thanks a ton for this! If they were white, one would be in my Mac Pro already (the power button broke...sigh...) but since I swapped out my GPU LED for a white one I'm not going to put blue in simply because it fits!

On my Lian-Li however...