Repair kext permissions from single user mode?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a GTX 560 and I posted here a few days ago about intermittent freezes following the 10.8.3 update. After a few minutes on Google I realized that I was experiencing the long-reviled "Fermi freeze", which experienced an uptick following the release of 10.8.3.

Stupidly, I attempted to install a bunch of kexts and frameworks listed here[1] , but they comprised a solution for 10.8.2, not 10.8.3. Upon my reboot I was greeted with glitchy, unusable graphics performance. The finder would reboot about twice every second.

So, I booted into Windows to attempt to restore the kexts and frameworks from their backups. Using the Paragon HFS+ driver, I restored my earlier backups of my Extensions folder and the three frameworks that were replaced by the tonymac download.

I'm almost certain that, were I able to restore my kext cache and repair permissions, my Mac partition would boot without issue. However, I am unable to do so.

Upon booting in single user mode, and fsck'ing, I am unable to run 'diskutil repairPermissions /'. The error message displayed is:

Unable to run because unable to use DiskManagement framework. Common reasons inclde, but are not limited to, the DiskArbitration framework being unavailable due to being booted in single-user mode."

I also tried to selectively repair just the Extensions folder with this[2] method (starting with the command:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

) -- but now the sudo command has stopped working! I get the error

sudo: unable to initialize PAM: No such file or directory

{censored}!

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on? I had previously experienced a problem with kexts misbehaving, but I was always able to fix it by restoring the kexts under Windows and then repairing permissions in single user mode.

I also don't have a repair disk with me, so I'm up the creek without a paddle, as it were. I really don't want to use Windows for the rest of my life...

certain functions like diskutil are not available in single user mode because their frameworks aren't loaded yet. There should also be no need to use "sudo" in single user mode since you already have root access. There is a way to force load certain frameworks from single user mode, I don't know the commands off the top of my head but I'm sure you can find them via google if need be. chown and chmod should work fine without sudoing though, so try that if you haven't. If you still get an error without sudo, somethings wrong there.

for diskutil run in single user mod you need launch this

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.notifyd.plist

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.kextd.plist

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd.plist

launchctl start com.apple.diskarbitrationd

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.configd.plist

diskutil repairPermissions /

• 2 months later...

Good morning/afternoon/evening !

My computer (a Mini 311c hackintosh under MacOS 10.6.7 that worked well) fails to start after I used Onyx (I run Onyx approximately once every two weeks and never had a problem with it).

It starts OK in single-user mode.

Given the fact that Onyx repairs permissions, the problem might be a permission that Onyx broke.

So I wanted to repair permissions in single-user mode with your set of instructions :

for diskutil run in single user mod you need launch this

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.notifyd.plist

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.kextd.plist

launchctl start com.apple.diskarbitrationd

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.configd.plist

diskutil repairPermissions /

It failed : the computer entered an endless loop after i typed the fourth instruction ("launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.kextd.plist").

By "entered an endless loop", I mean that it did not display the ":/ root# " prompt again, but it displayed the text if I typed any on the keyboard.

I then tried another tutorial I found here : http://www.fishdan.c...ssions-106.html :

After the Command-S startup, type the following on the command prompts, allowing time for each to do its thing:

/sbin/fsck -y<return>

/sbin/mount -uw /<return>

/sbin/autodiskmount -va<return>

/usr/sbin/diskutil repairPermissions /

The result was the same : after the last instruction ("/usr/sbin/diskutil repairPermissions /"), the computer entered the same endless loop (it has been stuck there for 3 hours, now).

Do you have any solution to this ?

Thanks !

Cobus.

Thank you !

I used Applejack on a previous install. I liked this software very much.

But on the broken install, I did not have Applejack (I forgot its name meanwhile :thumbsdown_anim: ).

I hooked my SSD to another computer, and managed to install Applejack thanks to the Terminal (Applejack installer only accepts to work on the startup disk).

I booted in single-user mode, typed "Applejack", and saw that my Applejack install was a success : I could use Applejack to "[1] repair disks". :-)

But when I then tried "[2] repair permissions", I had the following result :

Permissions repair...

- All supporting services are not loaded.

Let's mount the startup file system for write access...

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

Done.

Configuring minimal Snow Leopard services...

And it's stuck there. :-(

I guess, Applejack tries to do the same as I did manually ("launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.kextd.plist"), and has the same problems.

So I guess, it's a good time for a reinstall. :-(

Anyway, thank you for your help !

Cobus.