Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nemorosus

Merging Partitions

4 posts in this topic

I've run into a bump with my hackintosh laptop, and i had to install another Mountain Lion system on an back-up 40GBs partition. So i left my first original partition (let's call it Macintosh HD), and made a new one (Macintosh HD2). Now when booting into Macintosh HD2 i deleted Macintosh HD, but i can't seem to reallocate the space to Macintosh HD2 because the free space is not below the Macintosh HD2, but on top of it. So how the hell do i merge them??? Please help?

cb8634fd270449cfb352cbf.png

Advertisement

At least three options exist here.

1. Format the partition that is now empty to HFS+ then clone the current system to it. Then erase the partition #2 to get a free space after partition # 1. Expand the partition #1.

2. Using PartedMagic Live CD relocate/rearrange partitions. This however may not always work correctly with GPT disk.

3. Clone the partition you need to a USB HDD (using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner). Repartition the HDD the way you want this. Clone the system back.

Thanks for the answer. So stupid action taken by me to do that!

Well i'll try PartedMagic Live, as i do not have any very important documents on my disk! Thank you very much!

4th option: Boot the installer and use DiskUtility there, so your not modifying drive your booted from. Should work?