How to recognize all RAM?

xj0hnx

29 posts in this topic

Vanilla install, everything seems to work, except that it only sees 4 of the 12GB of RAM I have installed. What do I need to do to get it to see, and use it all?

i7 920

EVGA x58 E758

HIS HD 6870

12GB Corsair RAM

What other info do you need?

thank you for the reply, I'll check when I get home, but I do not remember seeing an error. I downloaded and looked in Chameleon, there is an option to force 64 bit, but I really need to learn more about Chameleon options before just pushing buttons. Is there a Wiki for Chameleon that goes into better detail of each setting, and what happens when you use them?

hello

probably using another smbios....

find in system info if u don't have ram error...

and boot in 64 bit

good hack

In the System Profiler is shows a 2GB stick in all six banks, sees the Manufacturer, Part Numbers, and Serial Numbers of each stick, no errors that I can see. I used the Mutlibeast package when I installed, but it did not have anywhere near the amount of options Chameleon has. Having used the other, would there be conflicts if I were to use Chameleon now and see if hte Force 64 bit option works?

Is/are there any certain file/files that I would need to have, remove, or list to know what's going on with it?

hello

what smbios are u using ?

macpro3,1 / 4,1 / 5,1

try to use chameleon wizard is a nice app to install and configure chameleon (google it )

hack mac os x is try to copy the config from a real mac...

mac os x is developed for mac...

good hack

Ahh ok,

I am using MacPro3,1

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.65 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: #####.tonymacx86.com

SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

Serial Number (system): G88451935J4

Hardware UUID: 5FFCAF86-9D64-5F3E-AB99-4BBECA44A7D7

So, any ideas on on this? I will be eternally grateful if someone can help me get this sorted out :)

So I installed the new Chameleon 2.1-r2069, but nothing seems to have changed. When I boot off my Windows drive, which has the EasyBCD boot menu, and select Mac OSX it lets me that there's no boot loader. When I boot off the MAc OSX drive, which is where Chameleon installed, it hangs in the same place, which is right after it hits "Verifying DMI pool ....", it just sits there. And booting from the DVD drive with the ib0ot disc is still the only way I can get into OSX. Is it being a MacPro3.1 a possible reason for it not using all the RAM? Should I update SMBios for it to think it's maybe a MacPro 5.1? Because the 3.1 is a LGA775, while the 4.1 and 5.1 are 1366, which is what my mobo is, or actually the 4.1 is closer to my actual specs.

I have the Chameleon Wizard app, but there are so many options that I don't know what to choose, and I am afraid I am going to break something that is now working. I am however antsy to get this going, and get OSX to recognize, and utilize all the RAM that's installed, I installed Parallels and this is a perfect operating system now.

It's the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist screen that freaks me out. Things such as the Miscellaneous menu, "Kernel - mach_kernel"? "Use Kernel Cache"?, "npci=0x2000" or "0x3000"? "darkwake=0"? Obviously I would like the "Force 64bit (-force64)", "Graphics Enabler"? "Use ATI ROM"? "PCIRoot=1"? I've been Googling, and reading, but I am not having an easy time putting it all together as a big picture, and how it is going to effect my machine if I select certain options. I don't want to just select a couple options I understand, and leave out something that I would really need. Is there a Wiki, that takes item, by item, and explains each option, what it does, and how it effects you machine?

In 32bit OSX supports up to 32GB RAM and Windows supports up to 4GB.

Seems like you have a kernel flag in your bootloader (maxmem=4096) that reduces usable RAM to 4GB, or a broken DSDT that does the same.

In 32bit OSX supports up to 32GB RAM and Windows supports up to 4GB.

Seems like you have a kernel flag in your bootloader (maxmem=4096) that reduces usable RAM to 4GB, or a broken DSDT that does the same.

I didn't use a DSDT on this install. The first time I installed a couple weeks ago I tried to use a pre-made DSDT, airwalk I believe, and it broke my system, KP that I couldn't fix. This time I avoided pre-made DSDT's like the plague. I was considering trying to learn how to make one for my motherboard, but this install has been going great so far and I have been distracted from it.

Where can I read to learn how to edit the boot loader, and which file is it that I need to look at to see if this flag is the problem? Or would using Chameleon withe the Wizard app over-write it and possibly fix it?

hello

try to apply another smbios like macpro4,1

about the chameleon flags , what u don't know google about... chameleon is well documented.

good hack

I am going through it right now, have been for hours actually, one thing I haven't found yet that maybe you or someone else can answer really quick, can I create/save a new SMBios without installing the boot loader also? It appears I can if the process is simply choosing my options in SMBios tab and hitting save, and then rebooting. I guess just a clarification/confirmation that the SMBios and the rest of the tabs are separate processes.

Ok, so I saved the SMBios for the 4.1 in Chameleon after filling in all the info I could then saved it, and when I go to Mac OSX > /Extra/smbios.plist, rebooted and look at it in Plistedit Pro it shows that it says 4.1 and all the option I filled in are there, but when I click "About This Mac" > "More Info..." it still says MacPro3,1. It seems I remember reading there is another in Private/Extra/smbios.plist, but I can not find it. I've got hidden files set to show, and looked all over in the private folder, but there is no /Extra, or smbios.plist.

Upload your SMBIOS and let me fix it for you.

The one I can find? Or the one it is actually using lol.

I can only find one, and I get this when I try to upload it ...

Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

I copied it out of Plistedit Pro to a .rtf. But this is the one in Mac OSX > Extra, but "About This Mac" is still saying it's MacPro3,1.

smbios.plist.rtf

Wow, thank you!!! Here is the org.chameleon,Boot.plist.

One tihng that is odd, or maybe it's not, I am still very new to Mac. When I am in Finder looking at Mac OSX (the disc I have OSX installed on). and I search, the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file does not come up in the search. There's one in a back Chameleon.Backups folder that shows, but the one in /Extra does not. Is this normal? The smbios.plist shows.

Oh, and earlier I tried

sudo nvram boot-args="maxmem=32"

in the Terminal, but it changed nothing. After restarting once I did that I was met with a panicking kernel, so I rebooted again, and everything was fine, except same RAM. Then just now when I renamed the original smbios.plist to smbios.plist.bak, and moved your plist in the /Extra folder and restarted I got a kernel panic again, hard reboot, and then it booted right up and here I am and "About This Mac" still says MacPro3,1. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Ok, so I went ahead and tried Chameleon, rebooted, and KP'ed, but then when I rebooted, my system hang when it was going through the hard drive checks just before it hands off to the boot loader. So I reset CMOS, nothing, started unplugging drives until only the Mac drive was left, and voila, it booted, but not into Chameleon, in Chimera. So anyway it starts loading, and KP's, I restart again, change some stuff in BIOS, and it finally boots, and here I am.

EDIT II: In the above I was mistaken, it did boot into Chameleon, but it had the tonymac apple character, it was Chameleon 2.2 not the one I had just installed from the Chameleon Wizard, the ib0ot disc I use is Chimera 1.xx. Also, once it finally booted it KP'ed again, and then when I went through BIOS and set it up, I got a BIOS check sum error, and it loaded the defaults, which I switched again. One thing I was thinking it was, was that I selected HPET 64bit, because with that set to HPET 32bit it booted.

org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip

You should have double click on the zip file to extract it, not rename it.

And seems like you uploaded the wrong org.chameleon.Boot.plist, not the one your system is using at the moment.

Good info on editing SMBIOS.plist

http://prasys.info/2...n-smbios-plist/

Mac model can be specified in two ways (at least). Via SMBIOS.plist and via org.chameleon.Boot.plist/com.apple.Boot.plist. Like

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>

In the same section you can add other flags if needed like:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 MacPro3,1 arch=x86_64</string>

npci=0x2000 fixes "PCI configuration begin error" (well like workaround rather then fix), MacPro3,1 specifies model name, arch=x86_64 specifies that system should be booted in 64-bit mode.

Basically there is nothing much to be added to *.*.Boot.plist only basic options. Some advanced options are only needed when something goes wrong and you know that it CAN be fixed with Boot.plist options. Like:

You can edit it with Property list editor (if you have Xcode installed or PlistEdit Pro or chameleon wizard. Don't use text editors for this, it would result a corrupted file which will not work.

You should have double click on the zip file to extract it, not rename it.

And seems like you uploaded the wrong org.chameleon.Boot.plist, not the one your system is using at the moment.

That's what I thought, but the problem is that's the only one I can find. I have Finder set to show hidden files/folders, but when I do a search, the one I uploaded is the one in my /Extra folder, there's also another one in a Chameleon back-up folder, but those are the only two I can find. Like I said earlier I read that the one I really need is the one in the /Private/Extra, but I have no such file, and I can only recall readin that in one place, so it may be BS.

Where else could my system be looking to get the org.chameleon.Boot.plist/smbios.plist if it isn't the files in the /Extra folder?

Good info on editing SMBIOS.plist

http://prasys.info/2...n-smbios-plist/

Mac model can be specified in two ways (at least). Via SMBIOS.plist and via org.chameleon.Boot.plist/com.apple.Boot.plist. Like

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>

In the same section you can add other flags if needed like:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 MacPro3,1 arch=x86_64</string>

npci=0x2000 fixes "PCI configuration begin error" (well like workaround rather then fix), MacPro3,1 specifies model name, arch=x86_64 specifies that system should be booted in 64-bit mode.

Basically there is nothing much to be added to *.*.Boot.plist only basic options. Some advanced options are only needed when something goes wrong and you know that it CAN be fixed with Boot.plist options. Like:

You can edit it with Property list editor (if you have Xcode installed or PlistEdit Pro or chameleon wizard. Don't use text editors for this, it would result a corrupted file which will not work.

Thank you for the link, reading it now. Unfortunately I am at work, and don't have access to my machine. I've been using PlistEdit Pro, my system apparently doesn't support Xcode, needs to be Lion+ I believe, which is one of the reasons I want to get this, and my boot issues all squared away before I upgrade to ML, I want Xcode. Unfortunately my system doesn't recognize my Mountain Lion install USB as bootable or I'd be troubleshooting all this from ML already :)

Unfortunately I am at work, and...
It's not unfortunate to have a job, it's good to have a job :)

Jokes aside. Xcode is included with each and every OS X disk/Image. If you have SL DVD, then you could install the SL version from the disk.

com.apple.Boot.plist is also located (the original that OS X on Macs uses) in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

Actually it is good to have a job :) I will try to install it from my disc when I get home, I just remember that I downloaded a version that would not install, I think it had some updated too that I wanted is why I DL'ed the version I have.

I'll look for the right com.apple.Boot.plist when I get home. So it doesn't use the one that's in /Extra?

I'll look for the right com.apple.Boot.plist when I get home. So it doesn't use the one that's in /Extra?
I don't know. This is the only other place (except /Extra) where this file should be located. By default, if you use a properly installed Chameleon, it should use the one that is located in /Extra, not the system one.

Here's the one from /Library/Preferences/system configuration.

By default, if you use a properly installed Chameleon, it should use the one that is located in /Extra, not the system one.

I have a vanilla install off the retail disc, used ib0ot to install, and MB after install for the set up stuff, don't know if this makes a difference.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

I am considering copying my applications/user folder to one of my HDD's, and doing a reinstall with the tools from here. This time though I will e installing on my SSD over my Windows install, and then reinstalling Windows on the Raptor. This way if there's any thing I need to post about the utilities will e from here instead of tm's site.

Are there any issues installing on a SSD? Specifically an Intel 335 series?