How much free space to leave on external multimedia storage drive?

2 posts in this topic

I have a Mac Mini which I only use as a server hosting iTunes to my Apple TV's, files to other computers, and HandyPrint to my iOS devices. I have USB hard drives connected to it which house several TB's of MP4's. The hard drives are formatted as Mac OS Extended.

I'm fairly new to Mac and always followed the rule of thumb in Windows to leave 10% of the drive unused for defragmenting. Is true with Mac formatted hard drives too? How much if any free space should I leave if the drive is just holding MP4 files for my iTunes server to host to my Apple TV's, iPad's, and iPhones?

With 7.5 TB, i'm loosing close to 750gb of valuable storage space leaving 10% free. That's kinda hard to swallow.

Thanks in advance.

AFAIK there definitely should be some free space on a drive, but it's not necessary 10%. More like 10-20Gb should be free regardless of the size of a disk. This however (IMO) is more critical to internal drives, rather then to external ones. Internal drives are accessed much more frequently then external ones (esp. if it's a system drive) therefore should be de-fragmented to speed up R/W (IMO it doesn't help much though).