new machine, same system? is it possible?

18 posts in this topic

hello,

i'm planning to build a new machine (i7 3770) because my old core2duo is not enough for what i'm doing (music... and gaming)

the question is: will my hdd with mountain lion works on the new machine or should i backup everything (maybe with time machine) and restart from scratch with a fresh installation?

thank you.

Edited by ktzyeah

The core OS install will work without a problem. However, you are changing CPU and MB which will require several changes from your present configuration. The current DSDT will not work, you will need a new smbios file which reflects the new cpu and MB, audio will be different, ethernet will be different and whatever you are using for 'sleep' will need to be changed.

I suggest cloning your present install to a new drive, then modify that install to reflect the kexts necessary for you new hardware. The 'modified' install will not work on your present hardware but if you have made the correct mofications it should boot when installed with your new hardware.

I have used a similar process to install on three different laptops using a cloned desktop install. They all booted the first time except for one where I forgot to remove the DSDT file.

thanks for your advices, you have confirmed what i already thought :)

luckily i'll use the same audio card (usb) and gpu (gts450) and i've never configured the sleep function so, maybe, the process will be even easier.

i'll give you some updates as soon as i'll do the upgrade!

• 1 month later...

Ok, i've purchased:

mobo: Gygabyte GA-Z77-DS3H

cpu: i7-3770

ram: 8gb 1600mhz Vengeance Corsair

I'll keep you updated when i'll receive the stuff from amazon and update my machine. finger crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes this is possible on OS X because it's built to run on a limited set of hardware (compared to Windows) and all system files are present after installation, rather than tailored to each "Mac" it's installed on. Because of this you can just delete the caches and redo your hackintosh specific stuff such as smbios.plist and your DSDT, as others suggested (of course it helps to have compatible hardware). At least in theory, I've never done it myself. I'm glad to hear that it works in practice.

The only issue I can think of is that whatever software you were using that was locked to your previous platform/hardware UUID will stop working, but the OS itself should run fine with no issues if you clean up in the right places.

Now try the same thing with Windows - if you can get it to boot at all, it's never going to run well.

ahah the "funny" thing is that Windows 7 shows me a BSOD after 2 seconds of the loading animation. I tried to recover it but there's nothing left to do: i will reinstall it from scratch.

ahah the "funny" thing is that Windows 7 shows me a BSOD after 2 seconds of the loading animation. I tried to recover it but there's nothing left to do: i will reinstall it from scratch.

Windows is VERY hardware specific OS. it should be prepared to migrate (Sysprep tool include in Windows or using a 3d party tools). No to mention the need of reactivation on the new hardware. PITA, to say the list.

How, exactly is Windoze a very hardware specific OS?

It will load and start up on any combination of CPU , Ram, Video cards (ATI or nVidia) right from the install DVD. I don't follow this logic.

The Mac Intel OSX on the other hand is REALLY picky!

It will load and start up on any combination of CPU , Ram, Video cards (ATI or nVidia) right from the install DVD. I don't follow this logic.

You're missing the point, we're talking about Windows after it is installed. Of course the install DVD will boot on any PC that meets the minimum requirements, wouldn't be much of an OS if it couldn't do that. The point is that Windows configures itself to your specific hardware during installation and will not easily boot on different hardware after the fact.

It is much easier to move an existing OS X installation to another "Mac".

How, exactly is Windoze a very hardware specific OS?
It is in the scope of the topic. If we talk about migrating an existing installation of an OS to a different hardware (read take a HDD from desktop PC with say G31 chipset and install the HDD to a different PC with say H67 chipset). It's impossible to move Windows installation from one PC to another (except cases with identical/similar configuration), without preparing it first (be it a build-in Sysprep or off-line methods provided by a third party developers).

With OS X it is much easier task.

• OS X installed on a Mac can be booted on a different Mac without any preparation/modification (for instance move your HHD from Mac Pro to iMac)
  • OS X has a build-in feature of migrating all the stuff (including settings, applications, files, account), so one could do a clean install and transfer all the needed stuff from an existing OS X installation

Sure, Apple has very specific list of hardware to be supported, so implementation of the above functions, probably wasn't very difficult thing to do.

Windows is designed to work on many different configurations and is sold as a product itself (hence has to have a licensing related features). In this scenario migration becomes much more complicated thing.

Not missing it at all.

I have installed and run Windoze from XP up through 8 on both and Intel and AMD machine.

With both nVidia and ATI graphics cards in each. Including HDMI.

And moving OS X to another 'Mac" only works if that other 'Mac" is basically the same as what you are coming off of. You won't be able to move from an Intel machine to an AMD machine. It won't boot. Won't work in the other direction either.

Not missing it at all.

I have installed and run Windoze from XP up through 8 on both and Intel and AMD machine.

With both nVidia and ATI graphics cards in each. Including HDMI.

And moving OS X to another 'Mac" only works if that other 'Mac" is basically the same as what you are coming off of. You won't be able to move from an Intel machine to an AMD machine. It won't boot. Won't work in the other direction either.

Can you stop spelling it 'Windoze' too. It's childish and immature.

What they are trying to tell you, and you are not getting, is that when you install Windows, maybe 50% of it's drivers you install after. Move to a new machine and Windows loading those drivers will probably kill your boot before you even get to the desktop (this is especially true for chipset drivers and pre-AHCI SATA drivers). And if you knew much about OSX you would know that moving from Intel to AMD is perhaps one of the hardest things to do on a Mac so it's an almost trollishly poor example of the point.

OS X on PC, not Macs, is a bit more flexible, because Chameleon is designed to get 99% of hardware bootable from the very start, and OSX undergoes very little modification to its core files since Boot-132 and vanilla installations. As a result, switch system and OS X will simply stop using any new kexts you brought and either go back to inbuilt/bootloader ones like Graphics Enabler or to VESA mode/no QE/CI. Either way its a hell of a lot more functional than a blue screen.

• Like 2