9500GT 512 MB: Black screen or no acceleration

13 posts in this topic

Hi, recently I got iAtkos ML2 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2) and everything went fine during installation but after Apple's logo I got a black screen.

Tried GraphicsEnables=No, didn't solve...

tried PCIRootUID=0, didn't solve...

tried to remove all "NVDA" and "GeForce" kexts from the extensions folder and it did solve but of course I don't have any video acceleration.

so I tried to replace the "NVDA" and "GeForce" files with the Snow Leopard ones (my graphics card works fine on SL) but it didn't work either

Any suggestions? thank you.

Specs:

Core 2 Duo E6300, Asus P5VD2-VM, XFX 9500GT 512 MB GDDR3

Just wondering, does booting with -x work?

Had this card, running Leopard, Core 2 Q6600, Asus P5K-E SLI. Got it working at some point, so perhaps you need to dig a bit deeper into that. Forgot how i got it working, was 3 years back.

What i do remember, is that i had to use a Display override.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/208410-fixing-scrambledstretched-or-wrong-resolution-laptop-display-problems/

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Have the 9800 GT (basically the same card) working with a custom DSDT. Couldn't get it working otherwise and tried just about everything. RampageDev (google him) helped me write it. You should ask him. He's super knowledgable about these cards.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Just wondering, does booting with -x work?

Had this card, running Leopard, Core 2 Q6600, Asus P5K-E SLI. Got it working at some point, so perhaps you need to dig a bit deeper into that. Forgot how i got it working, was 3 years back.

What i do remember, is that i had to use a Display override.

http://www.insanelym...splay-problems/

Hope that helps.

didn't try boot with -x, gonna try it! but I got this card working flawlessly in Snow Leopard so I believe it's a specific problem with Lion/Mountain Lion, I used to get video distortion on Lion and now no video at all on Mountain Lion.

Thank you.

Have the 9800 GT (basically the same card) working with a custom DSDT. Couldn't get it working otherwise and tried just about everything. RampageDev (google him) helped me write it. You should ask him. He's super knowledgable about these cards.

Good Luck.

Oh i'm gonna need some help to write one of those indeed, gonna try all the suggestions, thank you very much.

RampageDev is a user on Insanelymac also, and yes, he is a genius if it comes to NVIDIA cards. Right him a pm, and ask him to reply to the topic, don't think he will solve the issue by PM, others need to learn from it also.

• Like 1

hey guys, i fixed it... here`s what I did

after all those failed attempts above i was almost losing hope when i did a clean installation, this time i selected English instead of Portuguese (i don`t know if it has something to do with the problem anyway), i installed the NVIDIA retail drivers for 10.8.2 (304.00.05f02) (you can select the option in the iAtkos menu or download the package from nvidia`s website), selected GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIRoot=1 and proper resolution on Chameleon and it did work... now I have full acceleration, QE/CI and stuff.

I stil have some issues though, sometimes i get some random freezes and graphic distortion that comes to normal a few seconds later but i believe that is not a OSX issue cause I also keep getting `nvidia driver stopped responding` on Windows, so i believe my VGA maybe damaged... though I hope this topic will help someone in the future, thank you very much.

Edited by Monica Melegari
  • Like 2