Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet FIXED

killerz

135 posts in this topic

Got an Acer 5585 with the same damn network adaptor. No Go. sigh.. could it be that there are changes to the addresses or some other settings on the acer?

Installing Windows 1st then check it on system properties, or you can download any live linux distro then check it there.

lspci | grep Et

Yes, we do feel the same sentiments :thumbsup_anim: if i find a way to make it work i will post it here, please do the same also :) hhahahhah

Man we are in the same boat :P if we both find a solution i will post it here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, 88e8038 has a lot of subclass, and each one has its own device id, but the adrress is :''http://listing.driveragent.com/pci/11ab/4352?PHPSESSID=5fbd453b0826897085167c31e51d6444". Anyone who try it and report the result here, please!I find that marvell yukon 88e8038 has a lot of subclasses and each one has its own device id. The acer specific 88e8038's device id is 1025:0101 or 1025:0110. Anyone who try it and report the result here. The information above can be seen here :"http://listing.driveragent.com/pci/11ab/4352?PHPSESSID=5fbd453b0826897085167c31e51d6444".

Anyone who try it and report the result here, please!I find that marvell yukon 88e8038 has a lot of subclasses and each one has its own device id. The acer specific 88e8038's device id is 1025:0101 or 1025:0110. Anyone who try it and report the result here. The information above can be seen here

Ok, i loaded up Hirens Boot CD (great tool for those messing around like this) and after trying a few system profiling tools, i found the one for the 88e8038. it showed 1025:0110 like vigor listed.

so i tried that as per the instructions at the begining of the thread, no dice.

I MIGHT try throughing the 10.4.5 IOnetworking kext in there, see if that spices things up over the JAS 10.4.8 version.

cheers

I also have this bad Acer/Marvell combo. However I believe there is hope!

What I'm working with is Acer Aspire 3680, Marvell Yukon 88e8038 with DEV=4352, VEN=11AB, and SUB=01101025.

I have been trying to use the port of that SKGE linux driver for Marvell 88E8001 Ethernets that's around here on teh board.

The reason I'm trying that is to be found here:

http://listing.driveragent.com/pci/11ab/43...a0c85225aaff2d4

^^It's a driver download page for the specific subclass of Yukon that's in the Acer 3680, and that driver lists it as compatible with the 88E8001/8003/8010. Now to be clear this is the specific Windows driver for the 88E8038 - 01101025 Yukon cards that nobody can get to work.

I have tried changing the Info.plist inside the SKGE.kext, but that gives kernel panic reboot screen. I tried that with it installed in the main Extensions directory AND with it removed from there and inserted into the IONetworkingFamily.kext Plugins folder.

Right now I'm having to use frickin' Winders Veesta to write this online, but my next attempt will be something like this:

Open IONetworkingFamily.kext Plugins folder, open AppleYukon.kext, and replace the actual driver file inside the SKGE.kext package into the MacOS folder inside the AppleYukon driver.

But I'm confusing myself already.

Anybody have thoughts on this? Does it not stand to reason that if the Windows drivers for 88E8001 etc are compatible (and recommended) for this particular 88E8038 with 0110:1025 subclass, that the MacOS driver for 88E8001 should be somehow useable? Or maybe close?

For mine, it is vendor 11ABDevice 4351it might be different between machines. please check!Click the Details tab and read the vendor id and device id. The vendor id is going to be "11AB"2)

In OSX, go into Terminal and edit the following file:sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist

if u get an "Open with" dialog, right click the file and click "Show Package Contents"Scroll down and find the following:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x436211AB</string>

Replace the bold numbers with the device id you found above.Save the file.Exit the file.

3) Delete the following files. In Terminal, type (or copy and paste):

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

4) Repair permissions.

In Terminal, type:diskutil repairPermissions /5) Reboot

mine is gigabyte ethernet marvell 88e1116

vendor : 10DE

devidce : 0373

I tried to modify the kext as you told, but at last it doesnt work all the same.

<string>0x037310DE</string>

so how to make it work??? Do you guys have any methods to make it work ????Any thanks !!!Thanks in advance !!!Thanks in advance !!!Thanks in advance !!!

Still no luck here with my crazy ideas. I tried a few things with the SKGE.kext, but it seems to always give a hardware lockup (the big "restart your computer" with the power button picture error screen) whenever the SKGE kext is loaded.

I have had an important realization about this Yukon NIC - It's not a gigabit ethernet adapter, but the AppleYukon driver is for gigabit ethernet Yukons. The 88E8038 model in the Acer Aspire 3680 is only a "Fast Ethernet" adapter, meaning 10/100Mbps not 1000Mbps.

Could this be why the Acer 3680 can't get the AppleYukon driver to work?

If there is any regular 10/100 "Fast Ethernet" driver for Yukon cards, maybe it could be modified to support the problem Yukon 88E8038.

...And if nobody can ever fix it, guess what? We could still have ethernet in Mac OS via this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-USB-To-Ether...1QQcmdZViewItem

^^^ It's a USB-to-Ethernet adapter for Mac OS 10.3 and up. He specifically lists "MacBook" in the subtitle and says it comes with Mac drivers, so that means it should work on Intel/x86 Macs. The Acer Aspire 3680's USB ports work flawlessly in OSx86, so I feel certain you could add one of these ($22 plus $5 shipping) to get online.

I have everything but Ethernet & WiFi working on this laptop, so fixing the Ethernet would make it a complete HackBook. When you add up the sale price of $369 plus the $27 for USB-Ethernet, that's far less than $999 for a MacBook... woot.

Very intriguing...Well,thanks for the effort! I'll be checking out your link. So you got a laptop with the later atheros chipset that's not compatible or what? Coz in the 3680 I used it worked fine!

Nice Laptop, I know...

Yes, I have the 3680 here, but it's the 1.86GHz model w/Celeron M 440 and the Atheros AR5007 wifi chip. I wish it was the 5005 instead, then I wouldn't be bogged down in Vista to get online!

Really Vista Home Basic is a joke. It's obviously a fancified XP when you start digging into properties and such. Tiger is much faster on the same hardware!

My NB is acer 5585 with the Marvell Yukon 88e8038 net card. It uses the Sky driver in the Ubuntu (linux) system. Can anybody modify the driver for use in the Mac os x86 system?

The guy that ported the linux SKGE.kext is "M. Musashi" I believe. He knows how to do it I imagine but he said he won't make a Yukon-2 driver for lack of hardware to test it on.

News for today: I used a highly verbose kextload command on a modified AppleYukon.kext... got some info...

The command went like this - "cd /system/library/extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/"

^^ so I was within the kext directory where AppleYukon lives. Then I put -

"sudo kextload -v 6 AppleYukon.kext" and got this end result:

kextload: looking for dependency of extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext with ID com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily,
compatible with version 2.1
kextload: can't resolve dependency from /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext to ID com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily;
no compatible version of ID com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily is known
kextload: cannot resolve dependencies for kernel extension AppleYukon.kext

Everything was fine in the kextload process until the above point. That basically says that the driver is hanging up on the IOPCIFamily.kext - so next attempt after reboot will be to try different versions of IOPCIFamily.kext

I am using the standard JaS 10.4.8 w/Semthex 8.8.1 kernel, and the original IONetworkingFamily.kext that came with that modified to add the 4352 device ID.

Anybody know why it hangs up on IOPCIFamily.kext?

Hey I have Acer 3680 , I also have a Marvell Yukon 88E8038, I changed the bold place and both places that you had to change. I reboot the computer and it gives me a kernel panic, atm idk much about os x but i do know quite a bit about linux. A friend of mines told me to reboot with -s so i can get a console going but it gives me a panic. Unfortunately i do not know why my acer gives me SAM multimedia error, i have to find a certain angle so it can actually read it correctly, this might just be my imagination. Also I selected the Marvell Yukon 88E8081 or something close to that while I was installing it. Does anyone know how and what .kext i need to select while im installing it ?

I reinstalled OS X, replaced my IONetworkingFamily.kext with iCrash's .kext and that didn't work, i didn't get a panic. Then I replaced iCrash's .kext with the original and followed Diabolik's guide, this gave me a kernel panic just as what i said above. When it crashes it says

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address ( 4 potential args on stack )
blah blah blah ( 0xba83b78 .. )
.... Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0
				Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
					com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon(1.0.11b2)@0x1fa26000
						dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.2)@0x1bc70000
						dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.5.1)@0x1f643000
						dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.2.0)@0x1bc8c000

Maybe you need to change the values of 88E8052 -> 88E8038 or w/e your card is in the IOPCIFamily.kext and IOACPIFamily.kext .. just a theory.

• 2 weeks later...
JUST WANNA SHARE. Im using a toshiba satellite A80.

on an Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet

1) Get the device id of the ethernet controller.

Go into Windows -> Device Manager.

Find the ethernet controller and get Properties on it.

For mine, it is

vendor 11AB

Device 4351

it might be different between machines. please check!

Click the Details tab and read the vendor id and device id. The vendor id is going to be "11AB"

2) In OSX, go into Terminal and edit the following file:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist

if u get an "Open with" dialog, right click the file and click "Show Package Contents"

Scroll down and find the following:

Replace the bold numbers with the device id you found above.

Save the file.

Exit the file.

4) Repair permissions. In Terminal, type:

diskutil repairPermissions /

5) Reboot

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello killerz,

Could you please show me how to do this in WindowsXP platform?

Thank you much.

Tahi

I think for my model it's something to do with PCI-E. My wireless adapter and other people's wireless cards with the ID of 4311 haven't had too much luck. Some people have been able to get it to work, but I don't know what the difference is between my 'top and theirs.

I think for my model it's something to do with PCI-E. My wireless adapter and other people's wireless cards with the ID of 4311 haven't had too much luck. Some people have been able to get it to work, but I don't know what the difference is between my 'top and theirs.

Try run this coomand:-

ioreg -l | more

Scroll down slowly, and you will find "pci11ab,4352" in the list. It actually marvell yukon ethernet card. Detected, but I don't know why its not working.

JUST WANNA SHARE. Im using a toshiba satellite A80.

on an Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet

1) Get the device id of the ethernet controller.

Go into Windows -> Device Manager.

Find the ethernet controller and get Properties on it.

For mine, it is

vendor 11AB

Device 4351

it might be different between machines. please check!

Click the Details tab and read the vendor id and device id. The vendor id is going to be "11AB"

2) In OSX, go into Terminal and edit the following file:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist

if u get an "Open with" dialog, right click the file and click "Show Package Contents"

Scroll down and find the following:

Replace the bold numbers with the device id you found above.

Save the file.

Exit the file.

4) Repair permissions. In Terminal, type:

diskutil repairPermissions /

5) Reboot

Thank you so much dude! I fixed mine just by following this instructions. My nic card is 8056 on Gigabyte 965P-DS3.

Many Thanks!!!

Jon