Satellite C875 (updated 9/20)

level70steve

14 posts in this topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr2AuTpdfxU

I had to make a separate thread so I can create a quick breakdown and progress of each hardware component on this laptop as I am running 10.8.

It's always a good idea to have a DVD of ML in a safe spot where you're able to grab it so it won't get scratched up potentially overtime. Some versions of ML are standalone and will require at least a bootloader to prepare installation process. If you legally own a version of ML that's scratched up, there are several things you can do to ensure you do have a working copy. Scratch remover? Good luck with that.

First thing's first when you're preparing the installer. Even if you have to pull an ISO off of your ML dvd and modify it that way to burn to a DVD-RW, do it. On the other hand, assuming you have the ML installer on a USB (which I strongly recommend), you can go into it using MacDrive (Windows) and access that way. There are suspicious kexts on the installer, and if's it's not deleted, the installer will keep repeating the phrase "Still waiting for root device".

>> Delete all kexts in S/L/E related to Intel HD Graphics 4000 drivers! (AppleIntelHD* and AppleIntelSNB*)
>> Delete the folder "com.apple.kext.caches" in S/L/Caches/ just to be safe.

Once your ML USB installer is ready to go, you should be able to go through Disk Utility if necessary and prepare your HDD for installation and what-not. Most distros do have a bootloader installer at the OSX installation screen, but the one I had seemed to be a clean no-distro version with just "essential system software". No kexts, patches, fixes, bootloaders, none of that the way it would be in a distro.

Post-installation, working components:

WLAN: USB - Belkin Basic Wireless Adapter F7D1101v1
Search and Install "WL_349v3_352v3_353_356___Driver_1075_UI_1.7.8" Use "Wireless Network Utility" app to manage all wi-fi connections since it seems impossible to put a wi-fi status icon up at the menu bar.

Mouse: USB - PS/2 (Cherry Gentix JM-0300) (v. 192F, p. 0416)

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (more stable when not using GraphicsEnabler flag or supporting kexts)

Keyboard - may need kexts

Trackpad (Synaptics) - may need kexts

Audio - High Definition Audio Device (v. 10EC, d. 0269), no HDMI output.

You have to search and install "2746-VoodooHDA-v2.8.4+Lion", most likely found here.  I have a backup if you can't find it.  Requires possible reboot after installation.

Battery (d. 0C0A)

Post-installation, failed/pending components:

WLAN: Built in - Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC (v. 10EC, d. 8176)

Card Reader

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, the only boot flag I been using is the "Graphics Mode" after I can't find any plists in the Chameleon bootloader I had at the time. Hopefully, I should be able to play around with my 320GB drive safely this time. I do not know what hardware (failed or working) that any DSDT fixes will apply toward, so I chose not to use DSDT just to be safe.

UPDATE (9/20/13):

I moved the kexts for Battery and Audio to the working components list.  I have dual-booted OS X 10.8 (no, not the latest) and Windows 8.1 where Windows is the primary boot loader and Chameleon is more likely secondary (isoemu/avlgo).  I made sure my SSD was GPT, then I installed OS X first and Windows second.  I installed Chameleon Bootloader for Windows so that Chameleon will appear as an option to boot going into ML.  I took the latest iso image of Chameleon from its website, renamed it to "wowpc.iso" and placed it in the root drive (C:) in Windows.  I edited the "org.chameleon.boot.plist" within wowpc.iso so that it will always include the string Graphics Mode="1600x900x32" at iso startup - finally, I don't have to type it every time.  As of this very moment, I am able to freely boot into both Windows and OS X 10.8 without any major problems.  The following updates are confirmed to the best of my knowledge and thank you for reading. :)

Edited by level70steve
Removed the references to piracy.

Hi Steve, I have same set-up as u. All works except sound and sleep. I tried everything, from dsdt edits to kext and nothing. I'm newbie at this, so not sure if i'm doings things right as far as edits. I wish someone that knows more can get a working dsdt for this laptop...

Steve this kext is all u need for battery. Now if we can get sleep and sound!! like I said i tried so many things, and nothing. I'm far from expert. For wifi i swapped cards inside to a compatible one, works great... SD card is not recognized by system but actually works for me, just try it, thats what I did and it came up on desktop. Camera also works. Only issue for me is sleep, and audio.

VoodooHDA ver2.8, made audio work, but no microphone, or sound switch when plug in headphones....not perfect so I uninstalled it. if u get them to work let me know...

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.zip

Edited by icarl

Okay, these model laptops have most stock specs including a 500GB Hitachi drive and 4GB of DDR3 which are both easily moddable and replaceable. Have you modded/upgraded anything since you bought yours?! One thing I will tell you is that if you have a Hitachi drive, you will want to read some reviews about it. Even the 500GB one that came with my laptop was potentially slow. I know the stock specs alone will be suitable for a decent boot into ML. I will run a check on your battery kext and get back to this topic later. Thank you for your input.

Hi Steve, I have same set-up as u.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to take another break from further OSX experiment when I had to take a vacation and help out my mother coming out of her post-surgery. I haven't bothered with the sound much the whole time, but I did buy+install an Intel 180GB solid state drive. I was seeking to experiment installing iATKOS ML2 on this SSD of mine, but I can't any program that will properly extract iATKOS to my USB. Transmac and SUSE ImageStudio doesn't work in that case. Furthermore, I have no Blu-ray R/RW's nor any burners to extract iATKOS that way either. I'm pretty much stuck. So far the only way seems to be running Disk Utility in OSX (still needs to be installed first) and then restoring the USB with iATKOS that way. I still have research on my part, but let me know if you found anymore breakthroughs. I appreciate your contribution and input. :)

• 3 months later...

Okay, I need a favor from you guys!  HDMI outputs does carry both audio and video on the same connection.  Has any C875 owner (or similar model) tested HDMI output for audio?  The reason I ask is because most laptop manufacturers could throw a curve ball by not adding audio support to HDMI.  Would there be any HDMI-to-sound cables on sale?  If by any means possible, I would like to see what HDMI connections will do since there are still no working kexts for sound (microphone) yet.  Thanks in advance!

Since I am running Windows 8, I did find HDMI as an option for audio output under Control Panel.  I was willing to see if this would play out the same way if I was just using HDMI-related kexts and just plugging in a HDMI-to-audio cable.

Has any C875 owner (or similar model) tested HDMI output for audio?  The reason I ask is because most laptop manufacturers could throw a curve ball by not adding audio support to HDMI. 

I don't think laptop manufacturers can "not support HDMI audio".

HDMI is built into the chipset of the board. All Intel chipsets that support HDMI also support HDMI audio.

UPDATE!

This afternoon, I was able to recover from a chronic dizzyness effect that almost had me fainting and throwing up.  I then threw down some money and bought a specific cable.

http://dx.com/p/wm750-100-gold-plated-hdmi-19-pin-to-3-rca-av-cable-for-xbox-360-black-180cm-160225 (then I cancelled it since it didn't seem to be standard HDMI!!!)

http://www.tmart.com/HDMI-Male-to-5-RCA-RGB-Audio-Video-AV-Component-Cable_p113142.html

What will I do with that?  It seems weird, but when I once bought an RCA (red+white) to 3.5mm adapter along with a coupler for alternative PlayStation 3 audio (sorry, I sold my PS3 a long time ago), I can use both of those again to hook up with this cable and connect to my speakers.  There is still no luck with the 3.5mm microphone jacks on my laptop, which is why I seek to do two things:  (1) install iATKOS ML2 along with the working kexts we do have, and (2) attempt to pull sound from HDMI instead of 3.5mm.  The latest of the latest that iATKOS already released is ML3U meaning that if my laptop is not UEFI, it won't run period.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

See, that's the thing, though.  I never edited any DSDT's the whole time.  I just went straight to the osX86 website just for one of those 5 HDA files, downloaded it, installed it, rebooted, now rocking out to classic rock and 80's pop! :)

Now I did try all that I could to get Intel HD Graphics 4000 to run right, but I have gotten kernel panics, don't know what to edit, and I hate to compromise DSMOS which some claim has affected this component.  Let me know if you managed to strengthen the graphics. :)

One more thing, you mentioned that you did a simple internal wi-fi card replacement.  If you can please give me the brand name and model of your replacement, I would applaud your input and I can start shopping!  I might put my current internal wi-fi aside and not use that again until it becomes a need for backup.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, guys, not to bump intentionally.  But at this point, I am ready to take on Mavericks.  Therefore, I have to ditch this thread before it ditches me and I will once again create one seperate thread to ensure things stay organized.  The reason is that you want to make sure Apple, Inc. is not throwing you a curve ball when it comes to testing your hardware when it comes to migrating from one version to another.  Moderator, please keep this topic open in case if anyone else need any assistance in the far or near future.  Thanks to everyone!