dmg / burning on Windows

lemarqq

17 posts in this topic

http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

Usage:

Download > extract to a folder > copy cmd.exe ( from c:\Windows\System32) to the above folder and copy the DMG image to the same folder > run cmd > use this command to convert dmg to iso image:

dmg2img -i "imputDMGfileName.dmg" -o "OutputISOfileName.iso"

Here (in this forum) are many guides on making bootable USB drives. Most install guides use this to install genuine OS X.

Im using Windows :) I didnt understand exactly how to use it.

So, i open the TransMac, right click on the USB ?

Nevermind, i found it :) And, do you think i have a chance to install OS X ML on my hardware ?

Intel I7 920 / Gigabyte GA EX58-UD5 / GTX 660 /

You need Mountain Lion 10.8.2 to use that video card, and even then it doesn't work until you install the latest drivers from Nvidia.

You must remove all NVDA* and GeForce* kernel extensions from the installer, otherwise you won't be able to see anything and that makes installation rather difficult. There's another way - If you have an older video card (Nvidia G92 based normally work great) you can install with that, then install the nvidia drivers, shut down and swap in the GTX 660.

10.8.3 will have native support for it, so you can also opt to wait for that to come out.

I tried to boot from the USB stick, pressed F12, choice USB HDD from the quick boot menu, but nothing happent. Windows 7 is booting.

And i already have the AHCI mode in BIOS. What else do i have to modify into the BIOS settings, for my motherboard, which is Gigabyte GA EX58-UD5 ?

Thank you.

PS : do i need to use Empire EFI or something like that ?

AHCI doesn't mean anything when you're booting from an USB device.

If you can't boot from it it's probably because there's no boot loader installed to it. You can't just boot an OS X install DVD on a PC, if it was that easy this forum wouldn't exist.

If you can't install a boot loader to your USB drive you can try booting it with Empire EFI or MyHack.

• Like 1

There's nothing in that screenshot that makes your situation any different.

Your external drive is unbootable because the boot sector of your dmg did not get cloned to the drive. This is the reason why your BIOS skips it and goes straight to loading Windows.

I don't know how I can make this anymore clear to you, at this point pretty much all I can do is repeat myself.

Once more: You must use a boot CD, or Chameleon installed to a flash drive to boot your restored dmg.

By then you might as well restore a retail install DVD to your external drive, it's much easier to work with than iATKOS or whatever it is you have there.

/EDIT

you know what, forget all that and start over.

Thanks Gringo Vermelho

You said ¨ Once more: You must use a boot CD, or Chameleon installed to a flash drive to boot your restored dmg¨

What should i have on this CD ? i b o o t or EMPIRE EFI, or what ?? I try to get Chameleon to a flash drive.

Do you think that is a good idea to order ( i dont know how, because i dont have any OSX machine ) the OSX DVD ML ?

Would i be able to install it straight from the retail DVD, if i do the right changes in the BIOS ?

There is no Mountain Lion DVD. AFAIK the only legitimate way to get Mountain Lion is to buy it from the app store.

You cannot boot OS X install media on a PC without a boot loader designed for this purpose.

Chameleon can be installed to any device that your PC can boot from, pick one and go.

MyHack, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], Empire EFI and most other pre-made boot CDs out there are all based on Chameleon.

I tried again today, with ##### and Empire EFI, as bootable CD, both. After i booted, i could see the NTFS partitions, and the USB flash, made with the TransMAC, ML on it. I selected ML ( the USB flash )

So i pressed F5, and all i could see was a grey screen, for about half second or even faster, and Windows rebooted again.

I will search for Chameleon but i'm affraid i'm waisting my time. Somewhere else is the problem, maybe in my BIOS is something wrong selected / modified