Need Help finding a GPU

thesaz123

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

So a month or so ago I put Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on my Dell Optiplex GX620, and it's been working great. But I'd like to upgrade it a little, get better graphics than what the integrated graphics allow. I have the mini-tower version of the Optiplex GX620, so I need a low-profile card. I'm fine with fans, a silent solution would be nice though, not sure how well it would perform in my machine though, as there aren't any fans other than the one for the PSU and CPU. I'd prefer for the card to work OOTB, or with very little work. I'd like DVI, VGA, and HDMI (sound through HDMI would be nice). I'd like to buy the card from Newegg.com , so if you can, provide a link to there.

Thanks!

HD 5770 O.O.B 100%

He says low-profile...

There is one by Powercolor - I just checked that.

But as he says low-profile it should be a GX620 series Desktop computer.

If going for the "Powercolor HD 5770 Low-Profile" the author should pedantic check the measurements in his fish-tin...

http://reviews.cnet....7-31420314.html

The cooler could tangle with the hard drive bay... XD

I am not sure if a Radeon is an option here at all, as the topic has been placed in nVidia subforum, but I am using some cheap HIS HD6570 low-profile card, working great on 10.6.8 / 10.7.5 & 10.8.2 - if you are just looking for a compatible replacement for your onboard graphics....

• 4 weeks later...

R:A:W:X86, would you be so kind and specify which exact HIS HD 6570 low-profile you have? A link to the exact page you purchased it from would be great, even if it's a German site. Just ONE little difference in the model can make a HELL of a difference in h'tosh ..

Only one I could find here in the US is the HIS H657H1G Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card.

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 SFF (Small Form Factor) and am in need of a low-profile video card for low-requirement usage (watching movies, no games). Here's what I need:

1. compatible with Mountain Lion 10.8.2

2. Video: HDMI 1080p/ Dual-DVI for Apple Cinema Display 2560 x 1600 (via adapter)

3. no preference if ATI or NVidia. If ATI: correct Framebuffer MUST work (if not OOTB then via hack is OK)

4. fully working wake-from-MONITOR-sleep AND wake-from-MacOS-sleep on BOTH monitors, HDMI & DVI !!!

5. quiet! Preferably fanless.

1GB is enough. HDMI audio (e.g. via DSDT edit) would be nice but is NO requirement.

Sharing of experience would be very welcomed :)

Thank you,

Bugs

PS: right now I have the fanless Saphire ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB GDDR3 DVI-VGA-HDMI with 3. and 4. from my list not working as supposed ..