MacBook 5.1 (Late 2008) without SuperDrive slow boot

ktz

3 posts in this topic

I have a problem. I just remove SuperDrive. I don't need it. MacOS boot's ok from SSD (in place where HDD was). But any other source boot up very slow. I mean if you try to load Windows partition or boot from USB DVD it takes 2-3 minutes. PowerOn, then grey screen and then loading from not-OSX partition starts.

1. Maybe there is a way to change firmware of any software fix this problem? Looks like macbook try to find superdrive. It cheching hardware when startup.

2. What if I'll use any SATA source like ssd in optibay to replace superdrive. It will fix that delay on startup without superdrive?

3. Maybe any hardware "hack"? I mean dummy sata device like cardreader etc with light weight to trick macbook?

Same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4477700

Thank you.

Try setting your starup disk via System Preferences > Startup Disk

Yea. Already. If I'm using Mac OS partition to load it takes less than 10 sec to load (mac os desktop) on ssd. If I'm using Windows partition it takes some minutes with gray screen before Windows start to loading. Macbook bootup sound, then a couple minutes of waiting with grey screen and then windows partition/usb dvd starting. Same problem with rEFIt. It loads fast but when I'm chosing win/usbdvd it hangs for long time before startup.

Looks like macbook is initialize superdrive but how to disable it or how to cheat it ;)