Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

[Announcement] One more thing...

8 posts in this topic

Dear Patrons of Insanelymac,

My name is WhatTheTech, and I am the author of the Ultimate G5 Resource Page that many of you have used over the past year or so to help you mod your Powermac G5. It was originally a thread on Tonymac, and was then moved to WhatTheTech.info, where it has garnered quite a bit of attention over the past few months (the original thread was mentioned in an article on Lifehacker.com).

On Friday (fingers crossed we launch in time), it will be moved again.

I have been working with a few of the dedicated G5 modders in this community and others, to put together a one-stop website for people looking to mod the Powermac G5 (and other Apple hardwares). The website will of course have the Ultimate G5 Resource Page, the G5 Beginner's FAQ, as well as the Front Panel Informational Page and several others that are in the works as we speak. We also will have a "Submit Your Mod" area where you can show off your mod. Unlike these forums, which are excellent for discussion-based worklogs and mods, this is simply going to be a centralized collection of already-finished G5 mods to inspire and possibly instruct. Each mod gallery has the ability to have a link to the original thread, so we also hope to send some people towards InsanelyMac too (believe it or not, there are people who have no idea what a hackintosh is, but still want to mod a G5!!!)

From our launch date, we will have a store where you can find custom-made parts for your G5 mod, built by people in the G5 community. Hopefully in a week or so, I will have enough stock to open the stock-parts store, offering G5 cases and internal parts cheaper than anywhere else on the web! I already have some G5 cases looking for new homes at a VERY reasonable price.

We are not looking to take away users from Insanelymac or any other website, this community means to much to all of us for that. We are simply looking to provide easily-accessed information for people on the G5-modding journey! We do not run ads, and people selling through our website do not pay fees. We are simply in this for the love of modding. Any profits from the store will go right back in to purchasing more stock to pass on at killer prices, as well as to cover hosting fees.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or send me an email at contact@g5modders.com - I will be more than happy to answer any that you might have. We really would love for you to stop on by - submit your mod, take a look at the new articles that will be going up, and make sure to check out our "Thank You" page where you will see some familiar names!

Thank you all for your support so far and don't forget....MOD ON!

Note: I asked for and received permission to post this thread!

Just putting the finishing touches - should be ready to go in a few hours. I'm bumping the thread to say that we have an exciting new product launch from The Laser Hive as a world exclusive!! Seriously, I had already ordered one from him before I finished reading the details of his email...

Woohoo!! We are live:

I would love for you to stop by and take a look! Of course, if you're modding a G5 the resource page is up and has been updated. If you've already completed your mod I would LOVE for you to add it to our gallery!!! Thanks for all of the support and well-wishes thus far!

So tell me how the usb 3.0 front panel works. How does it fit into the case?

Ira - that would be a question for TheLaserHive - I believe he will be making two types, each with their own method of installation. I do know that the USB and audio will plug in to your motherboard, and the panel will allow you to keep the front power and LED (like in the thread where I mentioned hooking those up by themselves). I'm sure he will be happy to answer all of your questions!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BauerMac
      Hey guys,

working on my second Hackintosh project, and just finished the paintjob and visual side of it.
      Not sure what to call it: I was inspired by sci-fi movies (Aliens (1986) in particular as the attentive reader might notice).
      Perhaps simply "BauerCorp Mod" or similar.
      Anywho, this is the build so far: (Software setup still remains)
      • Primary use: Creative work, video editing
      • Corsair C70 case
      • Inno3D iChill GTX 1080 TI
      • ASUS Maximus X Hero 370 (Wi-fi, Bluetooth)
      • i7 8700K
      • 32 GB HyperX RAM
      • Samsung 500GB 850 EVO M.2 SSD
      • (7 SSD drives total > Will be transferred from current machine when everything else is ready. Same with lighting.)
      • PSU: Corsair RM750X
      • CPU fan: Noctua NH-D15
      Let me know what you think, and if you´re interested I´ll post more about the build/painting process itself.

• By jgperson
      Here is my build in its current form. I absolutely love this project as it has grown! All hackintosh install instructions were found at Ryzen Clover Installation Guide macOS Sierra - AMD - InsanelyMac Forum
      First thing to know is that two of these systems were built at the same time. One for my buddy to use for his YouTube channel (See the video here for the twin system https://youtu.be/rRW4c1FnRrE), and mine. He called me up with an idea, to build a water-cooled Ryzen hackintosh inside of an old PowerMac G5 case, and as soon as he said the idea I was hooked. I have always loved the PowerMac G5 because when it came out, I liked to edit photos and it was what I thought at the time was "The Ultimate Machine". So here are some pictures of how it came about. 
      I picked up two PowerMac G5s (both working mind you) in case I messed anything up on the first one. I did not so now I still have a working PowerMac G5. Lol.
      Starting off we have disassembly. Note that I don't have a lot of pictures of this progress as I have impulse control issues and wanted it apart ASAP. lol. This is a challenging computer to take apart but well worth doing as this case is amazing! The case I had was pretty beat up with scratches and stuff so I had to do a lot of sanding to get them out.

After disassembly, I took to a small test fit by placing an old mother board in the case to figure out where to cut out for IO in the rear of the case. A quick sharpie line and some dremel time were in order after that.

Following the IO I cut out the side panel for my piece of acrylic. Using the existing frame that holds on the door of the case, I marked 1/2" in from the inside edge of it and drilled holes in all the corners so they would be rounded. (remember that at this point you want to drill your holes with a 1/2" drill bit and make it so the outside of the bit matches up with your lines.) Then cut the acrylic sheet to fit the inside of the frame (not your cutout).
      From there you need to use a jigsaw to cut along your lines and connect your 4 holes that you drilled.

Then on to paint. I sanded all the pieces with an orbital sander then used a can of primer and did 3 coats of primer on them all. Followed up with a few coats of black. I added a coat of clear to just try to keep it a little more durable but I should have just done more coats of black. To finish off the case, run some edge moulding around the side panel cut out and attach your acrylic sheet to the side panel with double sided tape. Re install your side panel frame and you are good to go!

To mount the motherboard, I used the existing standoffs from the PowerMac G5 case (be careful here as there are two different heights of standoffs). Add in some JB weld on the base of them and a small coat around the outside of them it was ready to go. I used a GPU to line up where it goes in the case.

Now for the final assembly. I test fit a bunch of different hardware placements but what I ended up settling on was the PSU at the bottom mounted with double sided foam tape.  All of the cables were then run up the front side of the case along the motherboard mounting tray and grouped together using zip ties. It is also important to know at this point I bought a cable from Black CH mods to use the existing IO on the front of the case with an ATX motherboard. Radiator at the front with pump/res combo unit mounted to it using the EK uni bracket. I secured the radiator to the front with car grade double sided emblem tape. If you have ever used this stuff you know it is not going anywhere. I reused the existing hard drive cage from the case and secured it to the top also using emblem tape.

One of the most important steps in this process is the running of tubes (since it is watercooled and all). There are only 4 tubes in this build thanks to the plethora of fittings I have in the case. I don't know if I listed them all but any time you do a hardline watercooled build it is important to have a handful of rotary 90s and dual rotary 90s on hand. I tried to do it without them in my last version of this build using the NZXT H440 and couldn't get my tubing runs to look like I wanted.

Fill up the system, leak check, then hook up the power and you are good to go. I added in a RGB light strip and hooked it up to the ASUS aura sync header for a little bit more color. This process was a long time coming and took almost a month from idea phase to final assembly.

I spent a long time without a working home PC but man was it worth it! Thanks for reading!
    • By crazyeye1
      Hello guys, I just got a Power Mac G5 complete desktop and I would love to tear it down and install all new hardware and make the best hackintosh I could possibly create.
      I removed all the components and decided to keep the drive bay, bluetooth and wifi wires (maybe I'll toss them) and screws (why not!?)
      The only thing this case is missing is the side panel, its gone and was gone from when I found it, as well as the G5 heat sink cover (damnit!)
      Does anyone know where I could get a replacement cover or would I have to design and fabricate a cover from scratch? Any help is appreciated of course and I had no idea where to post this question considering all the main forums didn't quiet fit so I apologize in advanced.

• By kerimek
      Hi All,
      It's my first post on this forum, so greetings for all
      Few weeks ago, I've decided to do my first G5 PC Case mod, installing OS X (and Windows) on it. I'm something in the middle of the mod (my priority is to keep the inside look of the MacMod as close as the G5 was), and I wrote everything down on my blog site (its in Polish, but there are a lot of photos). I'm not sure if I can put a link in this post, so please enlighten me, if I can do this
      My target is:
      Intel i5 4670k (it'll be overclocked) (for now) GPU built in CPU (HD 4600) MOBO MSI B85M-G43 16GB RAM – Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600Mhz SSD Samsung EVO 850 250GB (System OS X) SSD Crucial MX100 240GB (System Windows 10) HDD WD Blue 2,5″ 750GB (Time machine, storage) PSU Thermaltake 530W Modular  
      Here are some photos from stage 1 - dissassembly of the G5.