Grafting power plug from bottom to top of G5

Ira Aduro

42 posts in this topic

Looking at the fitting for the plug on the G5, it looks like a careful cutting of it would let it be grafted from the bottom of the back to the top. Obviously some bondo would need to be used to get a smooth graft. Just curious if this has been done. I'm mulling it over and was looking for examples of others doing it (so I can learn from their experience) but was unable to find anything.

Cheers.

Of course I cant point to anything now that I am looking for it... but I remember seeing it done before, however it was with JB Weld, not bondo. Maybe that'll help your search. I was looking for PSU information and general G5 modding when I ran across it several months back so I know at least one person has done it.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't help further.

So, JB Weld once it dries you can sand it down, correct?

You know, if someone were able to find perforated aluminum the same size and shape of the holes in the G5, that person would be a god send to this community. I'm guessing it's not available otherwise it would be well known.

yeah, once it hardens its sand-able and paint-able as well. It would be nice to find the aluminum somewhere - it would allow a lot of custom mods to G5s while retaining the original look. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for something like that though...

WhattheTech posted the exact specs for the perforated aluminum on his site. I also ran across a few threads that had links to very similar perforated aluminum. You could theoretically cut out all the perforated aluminum and replace it with the very similar stuff. It would be a chore but end result would be ace.

• 3 weeks later...

Exact specs for the perf. aluminum can be found here: http://www.whatthete...o/moddingg5faq/

I also remember someone finding some within the past year, but the problem with forums sometimes is that these things get lost...if you find it, let me know so I can add it to the FAQ!

AC Ryan make this meshpanel . The last one I bought (shining one) is made by ITS, but i bought it i Belgium.

Yes indeed, I check some online shops in Netherlands, Germany and UK, AC Ryan Meshpanel round holes is out of stock or with small holes. I understand better why I got the large holes (same as G5) but shinning panel.

1202131921.jpg

Masking most of the case and just hitting the back panel (after lightly scuffing) with some even coats of primer and paint (after you do the metal work) would probably be best if you don't want to take the whole case apart.

I recommend you do the metal modifications to the back panel and then disassemble it all for painting. This isn't just good practice for a computer, but for anything you are painting. It seems that no matter how hard you try you'll still end up with masked seems that don't look exactly right.

Scuffing so the paint takes?

Yeah, I'll be painting the entire thing *eventually*. Once I get all the pieces done. Is it better to cut the backplate of the G5 with the body disassembled or together?

I would say together - from my recent observations of a full tear-down, it would be very tricky to clamp the disassembled inner shell in a way that will allow you to cut without damaging it. If assembled, you have the weight of all three pieces, (four if you leave the panel on) as well as the added strength of the screws and rivets that hold it all together.

So is there really no way to graft pieces onto the G5 and match the G5's original color?

EDIT: maybe this has been mentioned, the G5 uses 5052 alloy aluminium.

You can certainly try, but the only way to make it look really smooth would be to use metal from another G5. I've seen it done, don't get me wrong, but from all the plans I've seen you put together it looks like you want to execute everything with a high level of quality, and I've yet to see that from anyone who has grafted.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=205052

A prime example. It's pretty good, but the cuts aren't perfect and the finish is a little different.

I agree with WTT about not quite right. The only sure-fire way to go if you want a uniform look is to paint. All the examples that I have seen that people used JB weld on, painted their cases.

I found the one I saw a while back. Again, it's pretty good as far as effort goes, but you can tell the lines are a little wobbly:

http://www.########.html

Edited by Mr.D.
Please see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279451-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/ -- This mod IS different, please PM me when something like this is available so that the OP may be contacted for cross publication.

There was a great one a while back where the guy coated it black and transplanted the actual power plug from bottom to top using some voodoo

I can't for the life of me find it again even after looking through all my posts

See that "wobbly" one (official name for it now) looks like its coloring matched. I zoomed in on the image and it looks good coloring wise.

Brammee's looks like something I could draw on for moving the power plug. Seems to have worked well and I could get away with no drilling.

Minihack's G5 with twin 120mm fans is probably the best seamless backplate I've seen. I emailed him about it a while ago wondering how it got it so seamless. He said he would make a thread on his site showing how to blend with the back, but so far I haven't seen the thread show up.

Edited by Mr.D.
Please see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279451-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/ -- This mod IS different, please PM me when something like this is available so that the OP may be contacted for cross publication.