[SOLVED] OS X PCI support

tbplayer

10 posts in this topic

Thanks for the reply.

I am running SL, but the only card that is recognized is my PCIe ATI video card. I have two PCI cards - a firewire card and a prosumer audio card - that show up when I run diskutil in the terminal, but do not show up in the System Profiler. I had thought that maybe SL didn't support PCI so I'm not sure if I need to downgrade my OS or if there is a solution with SL.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has gotten PCI working with SL.

...but do not show up in the System Profiler.
That doesn't mean these cards are not working. You can force them to be displayed either via this method or via DSDT. It's pure cosmetic thing. These cards WILL NOT work even if shown in the System Profiler (showing a cards in the System Profiler will not make it work). There should be an appropriate driver installed for a card to work.

That doesn't mean these cards are not working. You can force them to be displayed either via this method or via DSDT. It's pure cosmetic thing. These cards WILL NOT work even if shown in the System Profiler (showing a cards in the System Profiler will not make it work). There should be an appropriate driver installed for a card to work.

I do have the driver installed for the audio card. But System Preferences/Sound reports that there is no audio card.

I haven't been able to find the right driver for the firewire card yet - the manufacturer states that it is supported on OS X but I can't seem to locate the driver.

Both of these cards show up with lspci in the terminal.

Both of these cards show up with lspci in the terminal.
Then these cards can definitely be made to show up in the SP. Just use the correct method (see the link in my previous reply or search how it is done via DSDT).
I do have the driver installed for the audio card. But System Preferences/Sound reports that there is no audio card.
Most likely the driver is not properly installed.

Im running ML and my Pci port works. Im still using my two good old soundcards M-Audio Delta 1010 and 44 in two different computers and both run ML. Im also using a pci to firewire card in my latest build. Last build is a GA mobo and the one before is an Asus mobo.

Ive been using these cards since Leo.

Im running ML and my Pci port works. Im still using my two good old soundcards M-Audio Delta 1010 and 44 in two different computers and both run ML. Im also using a pci to firewire card in my latest build. Last build is a GA mobo and the one before is an Asus mobo.

Ive been using these cards since Leo.

OK, this is why I think I must be missing something in my vanilla SL installation. I first tried my two PCI cards (which work under Windows) and SL acted like they weren't even there. Then I installed a Delta 1010 PCI card along with the Envy24 driver and... nothing. The Delta shows up when I run lspci but I have nothing in System Preferences/Sound.

EDIT: According to Kext Wizard the Envy24 kext isn't even being loaded.

I'm guessing that there is probably a driver/kext that gets added in by some distro that I missed because I did a vanilla install... back to searching the Interweb again! :(

OK, I was wrong about missing kexts - but I got it working! :)

I was searching around the 'Net for any threads/posts about PCI issues from people using Snow Leopard with Delta 1010 units (there are actually many people using Hackintoshes and Delta 1010s). I came across a post by a guy who had his Delta unit working but was having problems with his video card, so he had posted his boot.plist. So I opened mine and compared... they were pretty close, but his boot.plist was using the kernel flag "arch=X86_64" and mine was using "i386". So I changed my kernel flag to 64-bit and re-booted, and BINGO!... Envy24 showed up in my Sound preferences! Opened up a project in Logic and tested all of the input and outputs. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks guys for letting me know that it was working for you - that kept me from giving up!