meklort

OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

4,344 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Okay here is a short way to install Catalina on this board as promised.

1.- Install a compatible video card, Catalina won't boot with the internal, remember that Nvidia don't have drivers for it. THIS IS A MUST! ( this apply to

Mojave also)       

2.- Would be a good idea to have only the drive where you are going to install Catalina and you must install it to sata 0.

3.- Flash the mobo with the ROM provided here. ( The Ozmosis Defaults in it is the original macpro3,1, you must replace it with a Defaults.plist actualized,

IMac13,2 or Macmini8,1 are the best, I prefer Macmini8,1 because it don't have limitations on usb, you could do this on the ROM or in the EFI folder.

This ROM have kernexpatcher included, you don't need to install it on EFI.

4.- You must install WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext on the EFI\Oz\Darwin\Extension\Common folder, you can do this from the 

Shell or attaching the drive to a existing Mac system and opening the EFI folder there.

5.- Reload the NVRAM doing a CTL+OPT+P+R. Go to settings and choose PEG as video default IPEG could be automatic or disabled.

6.- Install Catalina ( always use the last release )

7.- Probably between reboots installing you are going to need to boot from the Shell to the macOS Install Data, the command is as follow

"macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi" ( you can add -v after the quotation mark if you want verbose )

Sometimes the installation of Catalina mess with the NVRAM, if so reload the NVRAM and reboot. Enjoy.:thumbsup_anim:

Whatever Green and Lilu.zip

Ozmosis-Catalina.rom.zip

Edited by elviejo

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, elviejo said:

3.- Flash the mobo with the ROM provided here. ( The Ozmosis Defaults in it is the original macpro3,1, you must replace it with a Defaults.plist actualized,

IMac13,2 or Macmini8,1 are the best, I prefer Macmini8,1 because it don't have limitations on usb

I have it set to iMac13,2. Should I set it to MacMini8,1 instead? Also I don’t understand about the limitations on USB. What are they (if it’s not a quick answer, is there a link explaining that, maybe)? Note I am not interested in Catalina at this time.

Thanks!

Edited by valiant
Problem solved, questions were unneeded

OK, well, colour me an idiot.

I finally installed the Vega 56, and that is where the problem lay.

I found an old HDMI cable (I had been using DVI-D on my monitor, and the Vega doesn't have that) fired everything up and here we are.

2080410941_ScreenShot2020-01-04at11_26_03PM.png.e116eea4e71ad4afd17163ef826df489.png

So thank you all for your patience, and I am here to confirm that NO, the onboard HD4000 graphics of the QUO motherboard do NOT work under Mojave. I don't know why it worked that one time, but that was it: once things were installed, it no longer accessed the graphics.

The Vega works just fine, and is -much- faster.

--

So, new problem.

Wifi.

I had a working TP-Link WDN4800 PCI-e 1x Wireless N card in slot 3, the PCIEX1_2 slot. 

Because the GTX770 was only two slots wide but the Vega 56 is three slots wide, I had to move it to slot 4, the PCIEX8 slot. It is not being seen.

252084905_ScreenShot2020-01-04at11_21_39PM.png.9797acdf3df51ba243bd957e9acc883b.png

I understood that the PCI spec supported putting smaller cards in larger slots, so the PCIE1 card should work in a PCIE8 slot. Am I mistaken or could it be a driver problem?

Ethernet and Bluetooth works just fine, but I'd like to have the wifi working too if possible.

What should I try?

Thanks.

16 hours ago, elviejo said:

1.- Install a compatible video card, Catalina won't boot with the internal, remember that Nvidia don't have drivers for it. THIS IS A MUST! ( this apply to

Mojave also)       

2.- Would be a good idea to have only the drive where you are going to install Catalina and you must install it to sata 0.

IMac13,2 or Macmini8,1 are the best, I prefer Macmini8,1 because it don't have limitations on usb, you could do this on the ROM or in the EFI folder.

4.- You must install WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext on the EFI\Oz\Darwin\Extension\Common folder, you can do this from the 

Shell or attaching the drive to a existing Mac system and opening the EFI folder there.

5.- Reload the NVRAM doing a CTL+OPT+P+R. Go to settings and choose PEG as video default IPEG could be automatic or disabled.

7.- Probably between reboots installing you are going to need to boot from the Shell to the macOS Install Data, the command is as follow

"macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi" ( you can add -v after the quotation mark if you want verbose )

Sometimes the installation of Catalina mess with the NVRAM, if so reload the NVRAM and reboot. Enjoy.:thumbsup_anim:

Ozmosis-Catalina.rom.zip

Not really..3 QUO motherboard without ext Video Card..

22.jpg

9 hours ago, valiant said:

OK, well, colour me an idiot.

I finally installed the Vega 56, and that is where the problem lay.

I found an old HDMI cable (I had been using DVI-D on my monitor, and the Vega doesn't have that) fired everything up and here we are.

2080410941_ScreenShot2020-01-04at11_26_03PM.png.e116eea4e71ad4afd17163ef826df489.png

So thank you all for your patience, and I am here to confirm that NO, the onboard HD4000 graphics of the QUO motherboard do NOT work under Mojave. I don't know why it worked that one time, but that was it: once things were installed, it no longer accessed the graphics.

The Vega works just fine, and is -much- faster.

--

So, new problem.

Wifi.

I had a working TP-Link WDN4800 PCI-e 1x Wireless N card in slot 3, the PCIEX1_2 slot. 

Because the GTX770 was only two slots wide but the Vega 56 is three slots wide, I had to move it to slot 4, the PCIEX8 slot. It is not being seen.

252084905_ScreenShot2020-01-04at11_21_39PM.png.9797acdf3df51ba243bd957e9acc883b.png

I understood that the PCI spec supported putting smaller cards in larger slots, so the PCIE1 card should work in a PCIE8 slot. Am I mistaken or could it be a driver problem?

Ethernet and Bluetooth works just fine, but I'd like to have the wifi working too if possible.

What should I try?

Thanks.

TP-Link WDN4800 not now supported in Mojave, according to 'another' site. You can install the High Sierra 1080211Family.kext in /Library/Extensions. Google 'osx86 TP-Link WDN4800'.

5 hours ago, KMS said:

22.jpg

Hmm. Now I don't know what to say. I was so certain before that it couldn't work based on my experience.

Let's just say I found it easier using an AMD graphics card...

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, ntsmkfob said:

TP-Link WDN4800 not now supported in Mojave, according to 'another' site. You can install the High Sierra 1080211Family.kext in /Library/Extensions. Google 'osx86 TP-Link WDN4800'.

Hmm.

Thanks for the tip, but it's not working for me. I found the 1080211Family.kext and dropped it into BootDrive/Library/Extensions/ (I assume there rather than somewhere in /EFI/ partition?). I then rebuilt permissions and rebooted. No sign of the card, so I deleted the kext and downloaded a kext utility and used that to install it instead in case I had done something wrong. Reboot, no card.

What am I doing wrong? (As you can tell, I have a long history of doing it wrong... ;)

Thanks!

PS The card has green leds lit up, so it is getting power...

PPS I tried putting the 1080211Family.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/ and that did not help either.

Edited by valiant

16 hours ago, KMS said:

22.jpg

Could you explain how you did to make it work?

4 hours ago, elviejo said:

Could you explain how you did to make it work?

Nothing special:

Catalina installed on HD from real MacBookPro with Intel 4000

Fake/Lilu/Whatever on Extensions.

22.jpg

33.jpg

7 hours ago, KMS said:

Nothing special:

22.jpg

33.jpg

Nothing special? not everybody have a real mac with Intel HD 4000.

21 hours ago, valiant said:

Thanks for the tip, but it's not working for me. I found the 1080211Family.kext and dropped it into BootDrive/Library/Extensions/ (I assume there rather than somewhere in /EFI/ partition?). I then rebuilt permissions and rebooted. No sign of the card, so I deleted the kext and downloaded a kext utility and used that to install it instead in case I had done something wrong. Reboot, no card.

Are there any other approaches I can take to try to make this work?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2020 at 10:22 AM, ntsmkfob said:
I've don't recall ever having a /EFI/QUO folder, so that's not it

The early versions of the firmware used to create that folder then it moved to /EFI/Oz. You can safely delete it

/EFI/Apple is created by the macOS installer or Software Updater itself.. leave it be. 

Edited by IronManJFF

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, valiant said:

Are there any other approaches I can take to try to make this work?

Thanks.

Have you trying manually loading the Kext from Terminal... to see if you get any error messages ? i.e. invalid signature that would prevent the kext from loading.

Edited by IronManJFF

6 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Have you trying manually loading the Kext from Terminal... to see if you get any error messages ? i.e. invalid signature that would prevent the kext from loading.

I would be happy to try that but I don't know how.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:00 PM, elviejo said:

Mojave also)       

Ozmosis-Catalina.rom.zip

Thanks @elviejo, just updated to macOS Catalina yesterday, took a little while, and definitely have to go into fsX:\"macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi" between reboots, as if not, the update will not stick. 

I forgot to place the lilu and WhateverGreen kexts into the efi before I updated, and took me a while to realize, :wallbash:but in the end I used the UEFI shell and placed them in by hand, and booted without a problem, all my apps seem to work fine with the 64bit architecture, so I haven't lost anything. :P

The only problem I do have, is that I have changed my Defaults.plist to a macmini8.1 rather than the imac14 to have front usb port support, but I still cant use them, any ideas? :whistle:

PS: happy new year to everyone!!

Posted (edited)

Okay, tiny problem, I went to add “System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi” to my boot menu, but the file isn’t there, the whole directory is empty except for a folder, any ideas?

EDIT: Obviously this means I can boot at the moment, so any help ASAP is much appreciated :cry:

Edited by Casm101

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, valiant said:

I would be happy to try that but I don't know how.

First verify if the Kext (from Apple) is already loaded using kextstat (it should be)

Then unload it with kextunload

Then load your own kext wth kextload

and verify it is loaded wth kextstat

Test Wifi

You can see how to perform these actions in Terminal in this article http://osxdaily.com/2015/06/24/load-unload-kernel-extensions-mac-os-x/

Edited by IronManJFF

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Casm101 said:

Okay, tiny problem, I went to add “System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi” to my boot menu, but the file isn’t there, the whole directory is empty except for a folder, any ideas?

EDIT: Obviously this means I can boot at the moment, so any help ASAP is much appreciated :cry:

Do this on shell.

bcfg boot dump, hit enter and take note how many entries you have, then fs1: enter and type bcfg boot addp highest number + 1 System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi "macOS Catalina" if is there it will tell you boot entry added, if is not it will tell you invalid name or something, then probe with fs2 an so on until you found witch is ( pressing the up arrow will give you your enter and with the left arrow yo can go and change fs1 to fs2 and so on, so you don't have to type the whole command again) remember to move the entry to the first to boot automatically to Catalina, the command is bcfg boot mv number of your entry space 1, lets say your entry is two you then do bcfg boot mv 2 1.

About the USB ports, macmini8,1 have no limit in them so check all are connected and reboot.

Edited by elviejo

On my Catalina system, I did ls fs1:, ls fs2: etc. 2 of the filesystems only had a folder with a long UUID starting with the letter A.

I did an ls fs4:\A and hit the tab key to fill the UUID and then Enter to see what was there.

One of these folders had just a System directory, which led to a Library and then a CoreServices folder, which contained boot.efi.

I set up a boot entry for that boot.efi as explained above. I assume it is a Preboot volume, but it is the one I use to boot Catalina, once I put it first in the boot sequence in the BIOS and then made it the startup disk in Catalina.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:03 AM, IronManJFF said:

First verify if the Kext (from Apple) is already loaded using kextstat (it should be)

Then unload it with kextunload

Then load your own kext wth kextload

and verify it is loaded wth kextstat

Test Wifi

You can see how to perform these actions in Terminal in this article http://osxdaily.com/2015/06/24/load-unload-kernel-extensions-mac-os-x/

Thank you,  I am bookmarking this for the future.

But it turns out I have a different problem.

The Wifi card does not work in slot 4, it only seems to work in slot 3. (I did not try slots 1 & 2 because video card). This has taken me days to confirm, but it seems definitely to be the case. Reverting to Yosemite I found the card worked in slot 3 but not slot 4. And because the Vega 56 is three (!) slots wide, I can't use the Wifi card in slot 3.

I don't know if that's something to do with the slot or the card, but combined they don't work.

I don't want to buy another PCIEx1 card and discover that it also doesn't work in slot 4 (PCIEx8), so I think I will try the USB dongle route first.

Can anyone recommend a USB Wifi dongle that works with Mojave and allows all the normal wifi behaviour, i.e. AirDrop, Handoff, etc.?

Thanks.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:02 AM, KMS said:

Nothing special:

22.jpg

33.jpg

This seems like some kind of clue as to how to make Catalina work with QUO video...

I don't want to buy another PCIEx1 card and discover that it also doesn't work in slot 4 (PCIEx8), so I think I will try the USB dongle route

Thanks.

Have you considered simply using a wired connection?

10 minutes ago, IronManJFF said:

Have you considered simply using a wired connection?

Yes, that's what I'm using now. Ethernet works out of the box.

But AirDrop doesn't work without wifi. Neither does Handoff, Continuity, unlock with Apple Watch, and other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

I use AirDrop quite a bit, so I would like to have it working. And that requires supported (or kextable) wifi.

I have read that this PCIE card is fast and fully supported by Mojave (and Catalina) but it's expensive and I am hesitant to buy it when I don't know if there is a problem with slot 4 not working on my QUO.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rosewill-RNX-AC1900PCE-802-11AC-Express-Wireless/dp/B0159222VS/

This USB Wifi dongle says in the description that it works with 10.14. It's a mid-speed USB 3 dongle that does 11ac and is not as expensive, but googling I don't see any confirmation that it works properly.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1300-Wireless-Supports-10-9-10-14/dp/B07P6N2TZH/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wifi+adapter+10.14&qid=1578603629&s=electronics&sr=1-3

So I'm just hoping somebody here has some experience with using dongle wifi under Mojave.

Thanks.

New topic:

APFS vs. HFS+ ?

I am booting Mojave from a single SSD formatted using APFS, but my end game is to boot from a fusion drive.

I can either do a Mojave install the normal way, which will result in a fusion drive with APFS format, or I can use Carbon Copy Cloner and copy my working SSD install to the HFS+ fusion drive.

Is there a preference for those using the QUO mobo?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, valiant said:

Yes, that's what I'm using now. Ethernet works out of the box.

But AirDrop doesn't work without wifi. Neither does Handoff, Continuity, unlock with Apple Watch, and other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

I use AirDrop quite a bit, so I would like to have it working. And that requires supported (or kextable) wifi.

I have read that this PCIE card is fast and fully supported by Mojave (and Catalina) but it's expensive and I am hesitant to buy it when I don't know if there is a problem with slot 4 not working on my QUO.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rosewill-RNX-AC1900PCE-802-11AC-Express-Wireless/dp/B0159222VS/

This USB Wifi dongle says in the description that it works with 10.14. It's a mid-speed USB 3 dongle that does 11ac and is not as expensive, but googling I don't see any confirmation that it works properly.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1300-Wireless-Supports-10-9-10-14/dp/B07P6N2TZH/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wifi+adapter+10.14&qid=1578603629&s=electronics&sr=1-3

So I'm just hoping somebody here has some experience with using dongle wifi under Mojave.

Thanks.

Hi,
I am using this ( Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac Bluetooth 4.0 WiFi Card for 27" for iMac AirPort), it came from eBay and it has been extracted from a real Mac. It’s mounted into a pci adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Shaluoman-BCM94360CD-BCM94331CD-PCI-Adapter/dp/B0762N2R2R/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=Broadcom+BCM94360CD&qid=1578615198&sr=8-17 ). Everything works smoothly with it. Airdrop, continuity... ( for side car I don’t know yet ).
I had an issue as well with the pci 4: I didn’t wanted to use this specific port, because it would ramp down to 8x ( instead of 16x ) the speed of the GCard plugged into slot 1. I used a PCI-E extension ribbon from eBay to be able to use the slot locked beneath the GC. 
Hope it helps.