meklort

OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

4,349 posts in this topic

I haven't made that update yet but was about to point out ....but you beat me to it

WhateverGreen Changelog

v1.3.4

• Added support for disabled AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy in AMD drivers on 10.15.1
  • Added basic support for -radcfg and -radgl on AMD Navi GPUs

Advertisement

How are you guys doing with Catalina so far? I'm thinking of updating soon, I just have to check if any of the apps I use aren't compatible with the 64bit only thing, but I guess I'll get started on it this weekend.

How are you guys doing with Catalina so far? I'm thinking of updating soon, I just have to check if any of the apps I use aren't compatible with the 64bit only thing, but I guess I'll get started on it this weekend.

still on Mojave as my main driver ... having trouble with Catalina when extracting Core.pkg .. might be because of a faulty memory stick ..

On 11/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, Casm101 said:

Catalina is great, but you must be aware of the problem with old apps that are 32-bit that don't work on Catalina, other than that it is faster than Mojave precisely because the apps are 64 not 32-bit and have some new features that are great. You also must be aware that you would have problem if you want to dual boot with Mojave, at least in my system Mojave wouldn't boot anymore.

Edited by elviejo

I got that problem where it seems to lose connection between the Preboot and System APFS volume.. so far this has worked every time to fix it...

Go to UEFI shell
Attempt to boot from the System Partition, it will output some messages and then will not do anything. Hit Reset button

Hi, all.

I'm coming back to this after a long absence and hoping for some help.

My QUO hack has been running MacOS 10.10.5 with the H2N ROM for a long time, but I finally need to update the OS to something newer, preferably 10.14 (10.15 will have to wait because I have too many non-64 bit apps).

Some background:

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my 10.10 drive to a new drive then installed 10.11 onto the new one - at that time I had a software that needed 10.11.

Using 10.11 with the H2N ROM had limited success, I could only boot 10.11 in safe mode, and even then not using my primary account, only using a "vanilla" admin account.

For personal reasons the QUO computer sat idle for a year because I just didn't have time to deal with it. In the meantime I've been using an old laptop, but that no longer has the horsepower I need, and the QUO is still has better specs for me. Before trying for the 10.11 update, it "just worked".

So today I upgraded the ROM to the MASS version and reset the BIOS to default settings. I can still boot into the 10.10 drive (I am typing this from that), but I can still only get into the 10.11 one in safe mode using the admin account.

In other words, the MASS ROM did not solve my problems compared with the H2N ROM. I assume it's the latest version?

Because everything was working, and then I had no time, I haven't been keeping up with this forum.

Which brings me to now.

Roughly where in the 167 pages and counting should I start reading to figure out installing 10.14 on the QUO?

Or could someone be so kind as to tell me the steps to do it? Is there a succinct guide? Obviously I'm able to update the ROM, but I don't know where to even start with supporting EFI stuff, necessary kexts, etc. etc. Apparently the EFI directory should have an OZ directory next to the BOOT and CLOVER ones, but I don't know what should be in it. And I am probably overlooking other settings too...

Thanks!

I would start back at page 160 (Feb 3rd).. if you read from there you should be able to get up to speed fairly quick.

The firmware will create the Oz directory itself after you flash the correct firmware if it is not there. If it is not already there it is because you were using Clover and not Ozmosis.

4 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

I would start back at page 160 (Feb 3rd).. if you read from there you should be able to get up to speed fairly quick.

The firmware will create the Oz directory itself after you flash the correct firmware if it is not there. If it is not already there it is because you were using Clover and not Ozmosis.

Thanks!

I'm not quite sure how to tell whether I was using Clover or Ozmosis. If I recall correctly (and it's been a long time) Ozmosis uses the boot ROM method with a (mostly) vanilla Mac OS install, but Clover uses a patched OS installer and doesn't touch the boot ROM. Is that correct? How would I tell?

I think if I can get it to work I would prefer the former method, because I recall with a non-QUO mobo hack I built using Clover or something similar, doing incremental dot updates to the OS was so much work I stayed at 10.10.4 because updating to 10.10.5 broke it every time.

Fun fact: beer and electronics don't mix. I spilled a pint into that box and fried the motherboard, the CPU, the power supply and one RAM stick. An expensive lesson...

I will keep you posted on how things go.

Cheers!

So far no luck. I have the MAXX ROM and a fresh Mojave installer. It’s not a straightforward “just works” install and I haven’t figured out what I’m doing wrong. I’ve started reading the forum from p160, but I’m so far out of the loop on this it’s not making much sense yet. 

I’ve put in a fresh SSD to install to, so I’m not messing with my fusion drives. 

But there’s a new wrinkle. 

I have my video card disconnected, but I intend to use it. It’s a GeForce GT 770, and it seems Mojave doesn’t support Nvidia videocards. 

So before I get too wrapped up, I have another question. 

What is the last Mac OS that the 770 will work with? Maybe I should be upgrading to that instead...

Thanks. 

Thanks to TypeThree, IronManJFF, elviejo and probably a load more unnamed hackers, the update from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.2 is pretty painless.

Whether all of the following is necessary, I can't say, but what I did after downloading Install MacOS Catalina app from the app store was:

Put new format Defaults.plist in EFI/Oz per IronManJFF's post with latest firmware info

Put updated KernextPatcher.plist in EFI (needs 10.15 patches)

Ozmosis-Catalina.rom from elviejo's post installed and configured with Internal GPU disabled and PEG selected instead of Auto, plus my usual profile1 for RAM and vt-d for Parallels. I have  an AMD RX560 video card.

Put latest Lulu.kext, WhatEverGreen.kext and FakeSMC.kext in /Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions/*

chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/*

touch /Library/Extensions

This should all boot into Mojave OK

Run the Install Catalina app. There comes a point where my screen went black, but with lots of disk activity, probably as it shifted stuff around to create the system and data volumes. Came back 20 minutes later to the login screen for Catalina!

Thanks again to the people who did all the hard work behind the scenes.

Edited by ntsmkfob

9 hours ago, ntsmkfob said:

Thanks to TypeThree, IronManJFF, elviejo and probably a load more unnamed hackers, the update from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.2 is pretty painless.

Whether all of the following is necessary, I can't say, but what I did after downloading Install MacOS Catalina app from the app store was:

Put new format Defaults.plist in EFI/Oz per IronManJFF's post with latest firmware info

Put updated KernextPatcher.plist in EFI (needs 10.15 patches)

Ozmosis-Catalina.rom from elviejo's post installed and configured with Internal GPU disabled and PEG selected instead of Auto, plus my usual profile1 for RAM and vt-d for Parallels. I have  an AMD RX560 video card.

Put latest Lulu.kext, WhatEverGreen.kext and FakeSMC.kext in /Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions/*

chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/*

touch /Library/Extensions

This should all boot into Mojave OK

Run the Install Catalina app. There comes a point where my screen went black, but with lots of disk activity, probably as it shifted stuff around to create the system and data volumes. Came back 20 minutes later to the login screen for Catalina!

Thanks again to the people who did all the hard work behind the scenes.

you do not have a fast computer

does not work Intel Quick Sync Video

Ozmosis can't work with two video cards (Intel + RX560)

On 12/12/2019 at 6:12 AM, IronManJFF said:

The last MacOS you can get Nvidia Web Drivers for is High Sierra

Thank you!

Unfortunately I needed a new USB stick, and accidentally bought a Radeon Vega 56 while I was at the store. Much more card than I really need, but it will run 2x4k monitors and work under Mojave and they were sold out of 570s and 580s...

But the store has a 7 day return policy on video cards so I have until Friday to get this working or return the card and stick with High Sierra (note to self: that's MacOS 10.13).

NOTE: The card is still in the box - I am running a 1080p monitor from the QUO video out - no video card installed until I get this working.

Is the uptick from High Sierra to Mojave worth the CAD$340 I paid for the card? Time will tell I guess.

So today I downloaded the Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-XMAX-E.ROM and installed it. I could not boot. Not a black screen or anything, just a progress bar that eventually stalled, and the same thing when I held down the shift key.

So I reinstalled the Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.ROM and it's running again.

Now.

What did I miss? Others are getting this to work, so I'm clearly overlooking something. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Edited by valiant

OK. 

I'm trying to figure out how to change my Mac model. It looks like the "proper" setting for an i7-3770 is to be an iMac13,2.

So I'm googling how to change your hack model number.

Right now I'm going down a rabbit hole of Chameleon Wizard, Clover Configurator, generating new serial numbers, checking them at Apple's check coverage, rinse, repeat, rinse.

It occurred to me that maybe this isn't the right way to do it. Am I doing this wrong? Is there a way to do it within Ozmosis or something? 

I have 5 days left to get this working and decide whether or not to keep the Radeon Vega 56. Right now 5 days doesn't feel like enough time...

You need a Defaults.plist in the EFI/Oz folder of your boot device. Back in this topic there is a recent example of a plist with an iMac (13,2) configuration. Others here successfully use a MacMini setup. All you should need to do is insert a SystemSerial number and BaseBoardSerial number - probably ones you used previously. You should also put kernextpatcher.plist (below) in the EFI partition.

Hold down F12 during boot to get to the boot menu. When there press Cmd+Option+P+R simultaneously to get the BIOS to read the new Defaults.plist. You'll need to go into the UEFI shell to find the file system to boot. If all OK you can update the BIOS to XMAX-E and try again.

KernextPatcher.plist

On 12/12/2019 at 6:12 AM, IronManJFF said:

You need a Defaults.plist in the EFI/Oz folder of your boot device. 

Thanks!

I think I found the defaults.plist you referenced.

One of the weird things is that in the wiki it says that when I update the ROM to MASS or MASX it will automatically create an Oz directory. I assume that's in /EFI/ so the path is (boot-drive)/EFI/OZ.

That did not seem to happen in my case, so I created an OZ directory in /EFI/ manually. Is that a flag that something went wrong, or is it OK to do it that way?

My EFI directory also had /BOOT and /CLOVER folders in it. I removed them.

I also have an Extra directory which I renamed.

I copied my s/n and UUID from my System Profile into /EFI/OZ/defaults.plist and rebooted.

My hack still thinks it's a MacPro3,1.

Where else could it be pulling that setting from? My machine doesn't want to download any OS installers beyond El Capitan because it doesn't think it can install them.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, valiant said:

Thanks!

I think I found the defaults.plist you referenced.

One of the weird things is that in the wiki it says that when I update the ROM to MASS or MASX it will automatically create an Oz directory. I assume that's in /EFI/ so the path is (boot-drive)/EFI/OZ.

That did not seem to happen in my case, so I created an OZ directory in /EFI/ manually. Is that a flag that something went wrong, or is it OK to do it that way?

My EFI directory also had /BOOT and /CLOVER folders in it. I removed them.

I also have an Extra directory which I renamed.

I copied my s/n and UUID from my System Profile into /EFI/OZ/defaults.plist and rebooted.

My hack still thinks it's a MacPro3,1.

Where else could it be pulling that setting from? My machine doesn't want to download any OS installers beyond El Capitan because it doesn't think it can install them.

Thanks.

If it's not creating the Oz directory where you expect it to be, you should check any other disks you have for an EFI directory, which is being used as the boot device instead of the one you expect. Make sure the Mac drive is connected to SATA port 0 on the motherboard. That will then be the drive the BIOS goes to for the EFI.

Edited by ntsmkfob

I haven’t had a chance to try the suggestions above, but last night I found an old 10.11 vanilla installer stick, and was pleased that when I selected it in the BIOS the QUO was able to boot to the installer. Unfortunately it wouldn’t actually work. I tried installing on an old SSD, and I tried installing an over an existing working 10.10, but no luck.Today I will buy a new SSD drive and disconnect all of the existing drives and put the SSD in SATA 0 and try again. 

I am encouraged that I was able to move one step forward and actually get it to boot, but at this slow pace I don’t know if I’ll feel confidant enough that I’ll ever get it working to keep the video card on Friday...

On 12/17/2019 at 6:28 AM, ntsmkfob said:

Your system "thinks" is a Mac Pro 3,1 because you are using a rom with the default plist in it, what you need to do is to put the ssd in sata 0 ( disconnect all other drives you have ) then you have two options, insert  an OzmosisDefaults.plist within an iMac 13,2 or Mac mini 6,2 or 8,1 in the rom provided a few posts back or put the defaults plist on the directory Ozmosis create in the EFI partition ( you will probably will need to boot from an early system to do that or do it from the shell) if you do the first when you flash the new rom it will actualize the system, you will need to go to settings and load optimized defaults and then choose PEG in the video card default, IPEG could be disabled or let as auto; remember you can't boot with the onboard card on Mojave or Catalina, you need a card supported, remember that nvidia have no drivers for mojave or catalina.

Sorry, quoted ntsmkfob instead of valiant