• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
meklort

New OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

3,621 posts in this topic

Updating Yosemite (on its own HD) to GM candidate has left it failing to boot with the dreaded 'Still waiting for root device' error. I had updated the BIOS to 1479 and run both my normal Mavericks and the Yosemite Dev rel 8 OK, so I'm reasonably sure that I set the BIOS options right.

One other this in that I changed the NVAM setup to an iMac 13,1 some time ago.

Suggestions welcome...

I think iMac 13,2 fits the model.

Shopping for a 27" inch monitor for general use and normal gaming that is not a TV ( NOT 1920x1080) and will not break the bank ( < 700$) ... suggestions are welcome from monitor owners 

Shopping for a 27" inch monitor for general use and normal gaming that is not a TV ( NOT 1920x1080) and will not break the bank ( < 700$) ... suggestions are welcome from monitor owners 

I am extremely happy with an BenQ BL2710 that sits next to my Apple 30" Cinema display. It has a wee bit lesser screen estate, but brightness is comparable, text appears in similar size so there is nearly no strain on the eyes. The proximity sensing touch buttons need a bit of getting used to, but are better than flimsy real buttons or some that are hidden in the back. Great number of interfaces and even has a hanger for the headset. Cost was 489€. I checked with AmaUS, is listed as CAD/CAM for $539.94.

LED-Monitor 68.6 cm (27 inch) BenQ BL2710PT 2560 x 1440 Pixel 16:9 4 ms DisplayPort, HDMI™, VGA, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, height, tilt, pivot, and swivel

I love the 2560*1440 resolution.

LED-Monitor 68.6 cm (27 inch) BenQ BL2710PT 2560 x 1440 Pixel 16:9 4 ms DisplayPort, HDMI™, VGA, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, height, tilt, pivot, and swivel

Thanks, adding it to the list of possible choices. How is it connected to your Hack (DVI, DP, HDMI) ? Do you rember which cables where included in the box if any ? 

Thanks, adding it to the list of possible choices. How is it connected to your Hack (DVI, DP, HDMI) ? Do you rember which cables where included in the box if any ? 

If I remember right it came with DVI and HDMI included. I am using both cables. The HDMI shows me the boot process on the integrated graphics (and is connected to my Apple TV sometimes) and the DVI is for serious working. The sound is okay, but doesn't blow you away, so there is a SONOS soundbar under the Apple Display as sound output connected to the optical on the back of the hack plus two SONOS play:3 for surround, which provide more than adequate ambience.

I do not play at all, so can't comment on that use-case.

Hello All

I have started to experience a strange issue since upgrading to 10.10 from 10.9.5 I am on 1479 Bios. Since the upgrade hardware monitor intermitantley shows the memory and core clock and temprature of my graphics card. Normally I would not worry about this but I have noticed a few applications cause the card to clock up and stick there. One being transmission, this is a known issue with no workaround so I dont use it much. I have also noticed this with an eyncription program for a kingston USB stick. I am running with stock nvram values, I had 10.10 beta 5 installed on an external hard drive and did not see this issue. I expect a fresh install may sort this out but wanted to check if anyone else has seen behaviour like this or if it is just me. I am sure I have left some detail out but I can provide more if required any ideas would be greatly pareciated

Thank you

well son of a...

I'll give it a shot

Update:

{censored} it worked!

Unplugged the fusion drives and tried it with a Mavericks install on a USB3 stick and it. Freaking. Worked.

I wonder what it is about my fusion drive that Oz doesn't like? Hopefully a workaround is found or an update fixes it. I really like my fusion drive.

Great catch, King. Thanks for hanging in there.

Had the same problem bios H3C.1479 cant handle my fusion drive

Hi guys,

I can't find the (custom) Bios on the Tor network anymore (and the latest bios isn't mirrored in the Wiki). Pointers Anyone?

Cheers

S.

You check the wiki on the first post?

Hi guys,

I can't find the (custom) Bios on the Tor network anymore (and the latest bios isn't mirrored in the Wiki). Pointers Anyone?

Cheers

S.

You check the wiki on the first post?

Wiki not up to date. Not sure why my InsanelyMac login won't work on the wiki.

Regardless, first link in this thread points to Mediafire and is still online, and there is also a GitHub repo with copies of all earlier versions.

Hee Guys, I installed the latest BIOS firmware on the Z77MX-QUO-AOS and did a Yosemite Vanilla install. Everything is working except for iMessage and the audio. On the wikipage there is a link to the ALC892 KEXT, but the installer only gives 10.9 as latest option. I tried a lot of different things, but the audio still isn't working. Did any of you got it working under 10.10? 

Did an update in place. Backed everything up first (Carbon Copy Cloner - now has a new version for Yosemite, but Mavericks version worked for backup). Downloaded and ran Yosemite update. It told me I didn't have enough room in my Core Storage and to retry. I did. No problem second time. Everything that worked before still works, including audio. Simple.

Don't forget to back up first though, as always.

Oh, 894M ROM, Core i7 o/c to 4.1 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770 4GB, 3TB fusion boot drive.

On the wikipage there is a link to the ALC892 KEXT, but the installer only gives 10.9 as latest option. I tried a lot of different things, but the audio still isn't working. Did any of you got it working under 10.10? 

You need to add the boot flag "kext-dev-mode=1". Once you patch AppleHDA you break the codesigning and it won't load in Yosemite without that flag.

You need to add the boot flag "kext-dev-mode=1". Once you patch AppleHDA you break the codesigning and it won't load in Yosemite without that flag.

Prepare for the noob question of the year: How do I edit bootflags when I don't a bootloader?

I updated to the newest version of the BIOS. Installed Windows 8.1 in UEFI mode, and OSX 10.10 Yosemite. I am unable to get my graphics card working, which previously worked in 894 and 828. I believe that my card does not have GOP VBIOS.

Specs of the machine are:

i7-3770k

16GB Corsair Vengance

Asus GTX 660 DC2O 2GD5

Intel 520 (Windows)

Samsung 840 (OSX)

1TB Seagate

3TB Seagate

Mobo speaker is installed, beeps at post, BIOS settings are all UEFI and onboard video is enabled.

I believe my best course of action is purchasing a new graphics card, but I am hoping someone could come up with an alternative that would save me the money. I do not do any gaming, but do have 4 monitors.

Not quite a tech issue but has anyone heard from this company? I have been waiting 3 weeks to get an RMA approved and aside from a few e-mails back assuring I would get instructions soon I haven't heard anything back. When I try to call them I get voicemail full errors. x.x

Not quite a tech issue but has anyone heard from this company? I have been waiting 3 weeks to get an RMA approved and aside from a few e-mails back assuring I would get instructions soon I haven't heard anything back. When I try to call them I get voicemail full errors. x.x

When I ordered this mobo I had the same problems. Phone didn't work and I waited a couple of months before the mobo arrived. Some angry emails seemed to help.

My RMA experience was a disaster...why do you need to RMA the board ?

I edited com.apple.boot.plist with de kext dev and repaired the premissions. But Yosemite won't boot now. Where did I go wrong? I used this: <key>Arguments</key>

<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>