meklort

New OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

3,657 posts in this topic

so WHEN is this on sale WHERE ??????????

my current box blew a power supply and may have taken out the M/B too

I need it now not next month or next year

so do you have FIRM release date ?

or is this vapor ware ?

Advertisement

so WHEN is this on sale WHERE ??????????

my current box blew a power supply and may have taken out the M/B too

I need it now not next month or next year

so do you have FIRM release date ?

or is this vapor ware ?

Predicted shipping date is May for those who gave money via Kickstarter

can't see waiting 2 plus months on this old g4 piece of junk set up lol

and that is NOT a FIRM sale/release date just to insiders/supporters anyway

btw what is the MINIMUM payment to get on their list ? or is that still open anyway ?

and is there a firm price yet ?

I would love to try this M/B but hate waiting and playing games like this

can't see waiting 2 plus months on this old g4 piece of junk set up lol

and that is NOT a FIRM sale/release date just to insiders/supporters anyway

btw what is the MINIMUM payment to get on their list ? or is that still open anyway ?

and is there a firm price yet ?

I would love to try this M/B but hate waiting and playing games like this

First 100 it was $220 and now it is $240. Consider all the add on cards you do not need its a great price.

So, basically by the time this board is generally available it will be up against Haswell boards.

We explained this earlier, I will say one more time.

If and when haswell will meat AOS standards we will make a board with it.

So far, you are talking about a "paper" board and if you google a bit, you will find that haswell has problems and 99.99% it will be delayed.

On top of that, if Apple will use it, as we known from the past, it will get at least one month, if not more, of exclusivity until it will reach PC market, if you add on that how long it will take until it will be stable on all mainstream operating systems, you will get close to the end of this year.

- Built in components: Intel 82574L LAN

I got an Intel 82574L LAN PCIe card, but OSX don't supports it OOB.

What will be the difference to the chip on the board ?

It has the exact same Texas Instruments chip as in MacPro ;)

A lspci tree from Linux:

-[0000:00]-+-00.0 Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller [8086:0150]
	 +-02.0 Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0162]
	 +-14.0 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller [8086:1e31]
	 +-16.0 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 [8086:1e3a]
	 +-1a.0 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1e2d]
	 +-1b.0 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1e20]
	 +-1c.0-[01-6b]--+-[0000:31]---00.0 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller [1b21:0612]
	 |			 +-[0000:30]---03.0 Intel Corporation Device [8086:151a]
	 |			 +-[0000:2f]---00.0 Intel Corporation Device [8086:151a]
	 |			 +-[0000:03]---00.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 +-[0000:02]-+-00.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 |		 +-03.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 |		 +-04.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 |		 +-05.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 |		 \-06.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 \-[0000:01]---00.0-[00]--
	 +-1c.4-[6c]----00.0 Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10f6]
	 +-1c.6-[6d]----00.0 Atheros Communications Inc. AR9300 Wireless LAN adaptor [168c:0030]
	 +-1c.7-[6e-6f]----00.0-[6f]----00.0 Texas Instruments XIO2213A/B/XIO2221 IEEE-1394b OHCI Controller [Cheetah Express] [104c:823f]
	 +-1d.0 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1e26]
	 +-1f.0 Intel Corporation Z77 Express Chipset LPC Controller [8086:1e44]
	 +-1f.2 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:1e02]
	 \-1f.3 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller [8086:1e22]

I'm looking to build a new system over the next few months and have backed this project on Kickstarter. My current PC is over 5 years old so I've been looking at processors to go with this board. I've seen a lot of positive opinions regarding the performance/value of the Xeon E3 Ivy Bridge processors but Rashantha confirmed to me on Kickstarter that those CPUs won't be supported. However, assuming THe KiNG's post above is from the Quo board, it appears to show one being used. Is it just the case of the above being a beta/custom UEFI version or that they're not "officially" supported?

That is just the DRAM controller and the PCI Express controller. Those are not the actual CPU. I have the same output from lspci for my Ivy Bridge i7-3770k.

Does anyone want to share what "Update 7" was on Kickstarter? I'm not a backer (yet?) and it ends in roughly 3 days time. Some of the comments mention that $170K is a stretch goal, which is really looks like the priject is going to hit. I'm just curious what those stretch goals are? Unfortunately that update is only available to backers...

I dont get this is it possible to buy this mobo now? When you look on fb it says be quick only three mobos left?

Yes, on kickstarter -

The funnest part of hackintoshing is getting it to work.

I beg to differ. The best part is using OS X, instead of some crappy OS (all other operating systems are {censored}, IMO, when compared with OS X).

ya know - I sent an email, after I was asked by a 'member' of the staff at Quo, asking questions about this board. If you look at all the other sites that are mentioned on their kickstarter page or their home page, its just a regurgitation of the bare bones info that they have had for months and months. I asked for more information from these guys several times. And like I said - they approached ME about writing something up. I didn't think that I asked too difficult of questions, but I never got answers - instead I got delays and the run-around.

Here are the questions I asked:

1. What is your name and how are you associated with this project?

2. How long has this project been in development?

3. How many are involved in this project?

4. Where are you and your team members located?

5. Where is the board being manufactured?

6. How big will the initial run be?

7. How is the OpenSource UEFI being developed?

8. What OpenSource License are you using?

9. What testing methods are you using for the UEFI and for the motherboard?

10. What support options are available for this board?

11. Will you integrate developments that others may make to your UEFI?

12. Can I get the full spec sheet for this motherboard?

13. What are your plans for Haswell?

Some of these have been answered on the kickstarter page (initial run, where is the MB being manufactured) - but I was met with silence with the other questions.

i am working on it. sorry it has been crazy. all i can think of is the great guys in the community and what can be done when we pull together.

please bare with me. (...) so bare with me for another day or two.

Hi thanks for being super patient with me. It has been difficult to say the least. Yes, I will have questions answered Friday. Can you publish on Monday to coincide with some good news.

I will try to answer all the questions as best as possible. Some might not be answered because of liability. Thanks again.

I was approached January 31. Sent the email February 2nd. Last response was February 27th.

Why is everyone who claims they are involved with this tickling my "Danger Will Robinson" reaction? And why are they either hostile or silent when asked for more information?

On paper - this seems like a good board. The problem is the only paper we have is the tiny little paper they spoon fed to everyone months ago with sugar coating on top.

Right now, I'd take my chances with a gigabyte board over this board because at least I know some real detailed information about those boards, the well-established company, and the support they offer.

I've bought one should be here june. gives me time to get the other bits just need cpu and ram

So if I understand correctly you paid for something you are going to get in 3 months time? :unsure:

I dont get thet pledge and backer thing what does it mean? Sorry english is not my first language but is it possible to order one of these mobos and expect it to be shipped as it "normally" would be. Like in a couple of days or what it normally takes to process an order over the internet?

Kickstarter somewhat makes it self out as a presale system but I think it makes more sense to look at it as a donation to an idea or cause. Especially since there is risk involved.

I backed the project BTW.

Kickstarter is not a presale system, and they don't claim to be. Their goal is simply to provide a platform for promoting a vision, and tracking any subsequent funding of said vision.

They should not be considered a pre-order system, and there are in fact regulations in the United States about making distinctions between a "pre-order" and an "investment". Kickstarter is an investment system, as described in their documentation, but they make the point to mention that they are only allowing for start-up investment with no share/stock returns for any investors.

Just for clarification...

I dont get thet pledge and backer thing what does it mean? Sorry english is not my first language but is it possible to order one of these mobos and expect it to be shipped as it "normally" would be. Like in a couple of days or what it normally takes to process an order over the internet?

No, because they are still in the pre-production stage. I don't know how many finished motherboards Quo has on hand, but I suspect that right now they only have prototype/first run boards for testing purposes. If they're shipping out in June, I can't imagine that they actually have finished motherboards in the quantities needed to ship on a regular basis.

--------------

As a side note, it seems that Tonymac's website has shut down all discussion of this board, and deleted an account associated with Quo. It's pretty hilarious to use the search function on that site - 50% of the things I search for result in a "not found" or "no access to this", even though it will show up in search results. Apparently nobody told them that this was a Gigabyte project...

well lets see when it comes

Plan.A (which could change) I'm using a Akasa 62 case which as a stainless steel mb tray that pulls out

im thinking of building it all on the mb tray water cooling and ssd all slid out on the mb tray

i know it a old case but its got good cooling and i like it

Kickstarter is not a presale system, and they don't claim to be. Their goal is simply to provide a platform for promoting a vision, and tracking any subsequent funding of said vision.

They should not be considered a pre-order system, and there are in fact regulations in the United States about making distinctions between a "pre-order" and an "investment". Kickstarter is an investment system, as described in their documentation, but they make the point to mention that they are only allowing for start-up investment with no share/stock returns for any investors.

Just for clarification...

No, because they are still in the pre-production stage. I don't know how many finished motherboards Quo has on hand, but I suspect that right now they only have prototype/first run boards for testing purposes. If they're shipping out in June, I can't imagine that they actually have finished motherboards in the quantities needed to ship on a regular basis.

--------------

As a side note, it seems that Tonymac's website has shut down all discussion of this board, and deleted an account associated with Quo. It's pretty hilarious to use the search function on that site - 50% of the things I search for result in a "not found" or "no access to this", even though it will show up in search results. Apparently nobody told them that this was a Gigabyte project...

Pre sale or Experimental - We can keep changing words - This system encourages Innovation and at the same time VALIDATES that DIRECTION by having EARLY ADOPTERS .. INVEST in the DESIGN, MANUFACTURING as well as PURCHASING of it.

To invest in an Initiative and then not find a VALID market has a loss factor. But to have the MARKET demand and VALIDATE by PRE-BUYING/ INVESTING gives the Innovators incentive to try NEW STUFF.

The words of Invest v/s Presale can be argued, but it is a gray area and the fact is it is a very INNOVATIVE and CONDUCIVE gray area that works.

PS: Why did TonyMac forum ban discussion of this board? Do they lose something from it? Couldnt they just create a single STICKY thread for it?