meklort

New OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

3,722 posts in this topic

Advertisement

1.You cannot make love with tonymac then came here and raise the child..., usualy when we see his nick/site mentioned autoignore is set, not to mention is an "insult" to use such "multi" things with this board...that's why you didn't got a reply sooner...

Sorry, no insult intended. I very much wish I had found this thread back when I got my board in September. The Oz boot loader is a very much more elegant solution for my needs. You will note I got my board in September - using his methods it took me until last week to get my install stable enough to transfer my data over to it. It's only taken me 3 days to get the Oz boot loader to work - much better. [That being said, I don't know if the Oz boot loader was around in September.]

2. F12 scroll bug is AMI bug not Ozmosis, if you disable Legacy Boot you wil free some...

Yeah. That was only happening when I had the corrupted BIOS installed. That's why I struck it out. I now have five drives installed and I was surprised to see them F12 listed by their Finder name as well as their UEFI and P tags. That of course is 15 line items, and it scrolls just fine now.

3. If you would bother to read this thread or at least my posts(is very easy select my user and tick posts) you would find that for nVidia 7xx series you need to Set BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to Legacy Only in BIOS. I also said that I will came up with a guide for 7xx cards for how to use with built in GPU after i am done testing it. 

Yeah again. I stand abashed. After I read the instructions and your post #989 for about the 14th time I realized that when I made that setting before it was with the corrupted BIOS file, and I hadn't set it again with the good BIOS. The setting hadn't stuck. I reset that last night and can now boot with the GTX770, which is why I struck that out above. I am now booting directly from my old MacPro1,1 Lion boot drive. I've updated it to Mavericks, and my goal for today is to reformat the fusion drive and get the Mac to boot from that.

But since Ozmosis didn't do his magic on your bluetooth dongle you are free to go back to your previous "method".

When I updated the Lion drive to Mavericks, there were pre-existing bluetooth profiles and they show up. Using them I have managed to connect to my phone and Apple Wireless Trackpad. (I'm using a wired keyboard.) I don't know about new devices, but this is way better results than what I got with the other method, so I would say bluetooth works.

So whoever is responsible for the Oz boot loader is doing good work. Thanks to them, and thanks to those on this thread.

I'll let you know how it goes with the fusion drive.

Cheers!

Well, it seems fusion drive works just fine with the 828M boot loader.

I had a working fusion drive that I knew I won't going to keep, so I cloned it to a backup HD before starting so I wouldn't lose any data. I'm assuming you're starting from scratch, however.

Instructions on making your own fusion drive can be found in many places, but these Macworld ones are pretty clear:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html

Don't forget to make a complete backup of any data you want to keep.

In my honoured tradition of doing it wrong the first time, I created the fusion drive, installed Mavericks, and then noticed that it did not create a Recovery HD partition automatically, which is necessary for Find My Mac, etc. I am sure there's a way to create it from the command line, but I found a blog post (I didn't bookmark it, sorry) that suggested the best way to get a sanctioned version of the Recovery HD partition was to install Mavericks to the HD first, then when you create the fusion drive, do so only using the data partition on the HD, not the whole HD.

Here's how to create a fusion drive with a Recovery HD:

When you list your drives:

$ diskutil list

Here is what a non-fusion boot drive looks like:

/dev/disk2
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Safari3000bak           3.0 TB     disk2s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk2s3

The drive identifier is disk2, the EFI partition disk2s1 is used by Mac OS, the data partition you see in the Finder is disk2s2 and the Recovery HD is disk2s3. Your list will probably look different, the first number may be something else, e.g. disk0s1, but the partition numbers will be as above. Note the second partition is of type "Apple_HFS" and the third partition is of type "Apple_Boot". Partition 2 has the name of the drive you see in the Finder. In this case this drive is a complete clone backup I just made of my working fusion drive.

This is what my fusion drive with no Recovery HD looked like:

/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         119.7 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk3
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk3
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         3.0 TB     disk3s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk3s3

In my case I was using disk0 and disk3 to make the fusion drive: your drive identifiers may be different. They are my SSD and HD respectively, and you'll see both have exactly the same structure, with partition 3 named "Boot OS X". Partition 2 is no longer Apple_HFS, instead Apple_CoreStorage is what's combined to create the volume you see in the Finder. You'll notice that unlike the Apple_HFS partition, there's no Finder-friendly name listed.

You'll also notice there's no Recovery HD.

So I broke the fusion drive again and installed Mavericks on only  the HD, not the SSD. There's no need to go through the registration setup once it boots to that screen, you're not going to keep the full install, only the recovery partition.

There's lots of places to find out how to undo a fusion drive, once again Macworld has pretty clear instructions:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2015664/how-to-split-up-a-fusion-drive.html

Now recreate the fusion drive, but don't use the instruction exactly as Macworld listed them, instead specify the partition you want to use on the HD. Here's Macworld's instructions, edited for my case:

diskutil cs create "Fusion Drive" disk0 disk3

Instead, do this:

$ diskutil cs create "Fusion Drive" disk0 disk3s2

You'll notice the difference is the specification of the actual partition you want to use on the HD. Again, your disk identifiers may be different, but the partition number will be the same, s2. Doing it this way doesn't erase and repartition the entire HD, it just erases partition 2 (where you just installed Mavericks) and preserves the Recovery HD.

So now follow the rest of the Macworld instructions. After you're done, when you list your drives, you'll see something similar to this instead:

/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         119.7 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk3
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk3
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         3.0 TB     disk3s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk3s3
/dev/disk4
   0:                  Apple_HFS Safari3000             *3.1 TB     disk4

Again you'll see the EFI and Apple_CoreStorage partitions, but this time only the SSD has the Boot OS X partition: the HD now has the Recovery HD. And in this case disk4 is the name of the fusion drive as you see it in the Finder.

I made one final mistake. I cloned my backup drive back to the new fusion drive but it wouldn't boot until I re-installed Mavericks onto it (For reference, I got boot0 errors). So I would recommend after you've created your new drive and before you restore to it, you install Mavericks and confirm it boots to the initial setup screen. You don't have to go through setup if you will be cloning your working drive to it.

After I got everything restored, I confirmed that Back To My Mac and Find My Mac were both activated in the iCloud pane of System Preferences, so the Recovery HD partition was working as expected.

Success! And it only took me a day to get it done right........ :)

--------------

Cloning/Backing up/Saving your ass:

There's two dominant players in the Mac backup cloning arena: Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)  and SuperDuper. I've happily used both in the past interchangeably, but as of today only CCC states it is Mavericks-compliant so I recommend it. Both are commercial software, but both offer fully functional free evaluations. Since the two drives making up your fusion drive are statistically more likely to fail than one, backups are essential. I recommend buying CCC and setting it up to clone your fusion drive to a normal HD once a day. Then between that and your Time Machine backup (you do have a Time Machine backup, don't you?) you're covered. When your fusion drive fails (and it will), you can just boot from the clone which is at most a day old, and restore any new files made since the last clone from your Time Machine. Minimum downtime, no data loss, and you can build another fusion drive at your convenience.

FWIW I just used CCC to backup to an old clone drive, and it informed me that the version of the OS installed on the Recovery HD was Lion. It then offered to update the Recovery HD to Mavericks to match my new fusion drive. I've read that's a difference between CCC and not-yet-certified-for-Mavericks SuperDuper - backing up the Recovery HD partition as well as the data partition. Hence my recommendation.

Cheers!

Anybody know if the 828 bios file is fixed for the mirror link in the wiki? I try to go directly to the source site, but I get a page saying the hidden service isn't reachable. I just received my board today and I'd like to get rolling on my install.

Anybody know if the 828 bios file is fixed for the mirror link in the wiki? I try to go directly to the source site, but I get a page saying the hidden service isn't reachable. I just received my board today and I'd like to get rolling on my install.

I just got my board last week and still have the file if your intrested.

Are these boards for real or what?  Can they successfully run 10.9 Mavericks?

I set mine up last week and it was so easy the only hiccup I had today was I installed Logitech drivers for my mouse and for some reason it would not boot up again. I had to reinstall everything again and I won't make that mistake again.

I just got my board last week and still have the file if your intrested.

I set mine up last week and it was so easy the only hiccup I had today was I installed Logitech drivers for my mouse and for some reason it would not boot up again. I had to reinstall everything again and I won't make that mistake again.

That'd be great. I'll PM you my email. Thanks!

EDIT: Big thanks, Chad. Rolling my fusion drive and then my install should be under way.

EDIT 2: Up and running. GTX 690 appears to be running OOB. Still need to get a wifi/bluetooth card. Sound is working fine (I have original Soundsticks that used USB). Have my Time Machine backup restoring now. 

Any one know : if blutooth work on the Quo motherboard? Which one usb, or pci?

Tks

I have IOGear GBU521 working out-of-the box  ( after the OS X is loaded) with my Apple BT keyboard and mouse.

Hey guys wondering if someone can give me some tips on how I can get the onboard hdmi to work? Right now I have a GT670 running my 2 monitors and I want the hdmi port to work with my TV is this possible? I did a search and couldn't find anything about this.

Thank's

I don't understand why quo don't send the wifi/bluetooth with motherboard or full system.

The first one system given ? http://s851.photobucket.com/user/claustin26/library/QUO%20Red?sort=2&page=1

Any one test  :

Gigabyte GC-WB300D Carte Réseau et Adaptateurs Bluetooth Compatible Norme Wifi 802.11n

Tks

Ha that's mine. No wifi/bluetooth. I actually just sent them an email asking about it, but I'm not optimistic on getting a straight answer. I'm currenty searching for a compatible combo card, but may just settle for a compatible AC card and use a bluetooth dongle. As hard as it is for us to find combo cards, I'm guessing that's the main reason they haven't shipped any. I'm not really sure what made them think they'd be able to find them in bulk to include in their kickstarter campaign.

Hey guys wondering if someone can give me some tips on how I can get the onboard hdmi to work? Right now I have a GT670 running my 2 monitors and I want the hdmi port to work with my TV is this possible? I did a search and couldn't find anything about this.

Thank's

I'd like to know this too. When I enable integrated graphics in bios and set initial boot to integrated graphics, I get a boot loop and have to fiddle with it until I can manage to engage the secondary bios and reflash the main bios. So it's apparently going to be a little more involved than flipping a switch in bios, assuming a newer revision of oz doesn't fix it.

I have one [GC-WB300D]  I'd like to get working from my GA-Z77X-UP5 TH so can anyone point me to how to get this running/ktexts/drivers/etc on Mountain Lion and Mavericks?

Thanks but I can't read any of that

I have one [GC-WB300D]  I'd like to get working from my GA-Z77X-UP5 TH so can anyone point me to how to get this running/ktexts/drivers/etc on Mountain Lion and Mavericks?

So the one in the above link isn't a plug and play option anyway (not a deal breaker but it would be nice).

Haha thaaaaaaanks. I'd been googling for a couple hours about combo cards and didn't feel like putting out any more effort. Unfortunately Amazon isn't very clear on a card's hackintoshability, which was really my main concern. Is this a decent card to get working? Even if it is I may hold out for an AC model.

These are the only two combo cards that I know of that might work:

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2767-broadcom-80211-ac-wifi-and-bluetooth-combo-card-for-osx/

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1916-the-perfect-mini-pcie-combo-card/

Even these have issues. I was not able to get bluetooth working in 10.9 on the second card. I would like to hear of other possibilities. Right now I'm using a separate wi-fi card with a bluetooth dongle.

Unfortunately Amazon isn't very clear on a card's hackintoshability, which was really my main concern. Is this a decent card to get working? Even if it is I may hold out for an AC model.

Sorry, I was just trying to be funny. I don't know about the card's suitability either. I use the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 PCIe card and the IOGEAR GBU521 USB dongle - at ~$50 + ~$12 it's a pretty expensive solution, and although the Wifi is rock solid OOB, bluetooth is a bit fussy.

My version of the QUO motherboard doesn't have a mini-PCIe slot. Is there another version that does?

These are the only two combo cards that I know of that might work:

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2767-broadcom-80211-ac-wifi-and-bluetooth-combo-card-for-osx/

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1916-the-perfect-mini-pcie-combo-card/

Even these have issues. I was not able to get bluetooth working in 10.9 on the second card. I would like to hear of other possibilities. Right now I'm using a separate wi-fi card with a bluetooth dongle.

Thanks I'll check them out

Sorry, I was just trying to be funny. I don't know about the card's suitability either. I use the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 PCIe card and the IOGEAR GBU521 USB dongle - at ~$50 + ~$12 it's a pretty expensive solution, and although the Wifi is rock solid OOB, bluetooth is a bit fussy.

My version of the QUO motherboard doesn't have a mini-PCIe slot. Is there another version that does?

1)No worries. So was I.

2)Nope. There's only one model.