InsanelyMac Forum
meklort

New OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

Are you using the custom BIOS and clover?

If not, why do you have slide=0 as a boot arg?

Instead of Rember in OS X or even -s just do Prime95 (in Windows) for at least 8 hours, with custom, max threads, and RAM amount set to be 90% of your total RAM.  If you have bad RAM (or RAM settings/compatibility) that will cause a crash at stock CPU speeds.

If no crash there, then I would definitely start looking closer at software.

If you really want to test RAM then memtest86+ or memtest86 is still more trustworthy in my book than Rember in any mode.  Isn't Remember just a GUI for old versions of memtest86?

Why is my FakeSMC (CF Bundle)version 4.2 and you have version 1. whatever?

Advertisement
Are you using the custom BIOS and clover?
No, I am using H3A and a vanilla UEFI install.

If not, why do you have slide=0 as a boot arg?
I did not set slide=0 as a boot argument manually. It is not a clover specific argument. It has existed for a while to turn off kernel ASLR. However, it may be needed if H3A has something that is occupying those addresses.

I did not zero out the drive; however, I have never had issues with boot loader residue from previous installs. Ill double check.

Instead of Rember in OS X or even -s just do Prime95 (in Windows) for at least 8 hours, with custom, max threads, and RAM amount set to be 90% of your total RAM.  If you have bad RAM (or RAM settings/compatibility) that will cause a crash at stock CPU speeds.
Ill give that a try.

If no crash there, then I would definitely start looking closer at software.
Same exact image runs fine on Gigabyte board.

If you really want to test RAM then memtest86+ or memtest86 is still more trustworthy in my book than Rember in any mode.  Isn't Remember just a GUI for old versions of memtest86?
I thought memtest86+? was a bit outdated for newer hardware and larger quantities of memory?

Why is my FakeSMC (CF Bundle)version 4.2 and you have version 1. whatever?

That is why I thought it was odd. It makes me curious about your comment about the slide=0. Although I doubt it is, I may do a clean install to a new hard drive or zero out my SSD and do a reinstall. Just to check.

Can anyone else confirm the version of FakeSMC?

org.netkas.FakeSMC 1.0.0d1 is from their list of hacked kexts in KextsExcludeList

I just read about that. Interesting.

Can others who are running H3A and a vanilla install confirm the version of FakeSMC that is running?

Running the following in terminal should bring it up:

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

I'm running H3A with a vanilla ML installation.  kextstat shows FakeSMC 1.0.0d1.

Well if others have the same then I guess that is what they used. That will likely have to be changed. Reading up on joe78's comment.

I am hoping for a source release for ozmosis. xpamamadeus' post (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291655-ozmosis/) is pretty interesting. I might try it for one of my other boards.

Same exact image runs fine on Gigabyte board.

How odd.  Nevermind about it being software then.

I thought memtest86+? was a bit outdated for newer hardware and larger quantities of memory?

You are correct, use memtest86, not memtest86+.  I couldn't remember which one of those two was outdated.  Pretty sure Rember is even more outdated though.  

That said, several times now I have found sticks of RAM which pass memtest86 for 5+ passes but cause instability in Prime95.  Swapping to a new stick and the problem goes away with Prime95.  If you have a RAM problem with Prime95 and run at 90% RAM load it often is displayed as a worker failure and your CPU load goes down to 88% or whatever--just not 100% anymore.  You probably will not get a bluescreen.

That could also indicate a problem with the BIOS settings though--so you could raise the VCCSA, VCCSA LLC, or just RAM voltage even.  Those are all ASUS terms and cannot remember what they are called in a GB BIOS, so sorry >_<

That is why I thought it was odd. It makes me curious about your comment about the slide=0. Although I doubt it is, I may do a clean install to a new hard drive or zero out my SSD and do a reinstall. Just to check.

Have you tried using Chameleon and legacy boot?  I understand you would want to use UEFI boot, but just to see if there is a link?

maleorderbride,

Ill let this run all night and see what comes out of it.

It may very well be a memory compatibility problem. Nobody else has confirmed on the exact same model memory.

As far as using chameleon, id rather achieve the same success as others have with the board and H3A firmware.

Well, after messing with the Ozmosis bootloader and adding my own kexts to the BIOS image, I would say you should change the FakeSMC version to a different one if you want and see if that helps.

Also, Ozmosis seems to use the boot-arg slide=0 by default.  It does so on my non-Quo motherboard with Ozmosis installed.

I just wanted to post something interesting that I found.

Having a Thunderbolt display connected and a TV connected - I use SwitchRes X (http://www.madrau.com/indexSRX4.html) to make my TV the main display and the Thunderbolt display mirror the TV. When I run a game I seem to be getting the performance from the dedicated graphics card, but I can see it on my Thunderbolt display. Once the profile is created and enabled, this seems to work even if the TV is powered off or on another input.

The TV only displays 1080p so the image is centered on my Thunderbolt display, but it seems to work really well. I imagine if you could get a display to render the native resolution of the Thunderbolt display you could leave this option always enabled and have the Thunderbolt display tricked into mirroring off the dedicate graphics.

I guess this also only works becuase I have a free port on my tv and it's close enough to connect my mac to, but I'm really happy that I've found a way to use my dedicated graphics when I need to even if my resolution is limited to 1080p at the time.

Has anyone else come across this? Hopefully someone else find this useful.

edit:

It seems like building one of these is a better solution than using a TV - http://blog.macminicolo.net/post/33839671756/build-a-dummy-dongle-for-a-headless-mac-mini - hopefully I'll be able to get a Thunderbolt native resolution.

I'm running H3A with a vanilla ML installation.  kextstat shows FakeSMC 1.0.0d1.

Same

Do to some concerns on this thread about the stability of the H3A I did a vanilla installation of OS X using the updated F3A.  The audio and sleep both function great after injecting the proper kexts and I did not receive any kernal panics during the install. I realize that this kind of defeats the advantage of this board but until an update of the H3A is released I feel safer with this choice.

I since I used an I5-3570k Ivy Bridge and the HD-4000 intergrated graphics is the system definition for the Mac Mini 6.1 the best choice for this setup or should I go the with the Mac Pro 3.1?

Do to some concerns on this thread about the stability of the H3A I did a vanilla installation of OS X using the updated F3A.  The audio and sleep both function great after injecting the proper kexts and I did not receive any kernal panics during the install. I realize that this kind of defeats the advantage of this board but until an update of the H3A is released I feel safer with this choice.

I since I used an I5-3570k Ivy Bridge and the HD-4000 intergrated graphics is the system definition for the Mac Mini 6.1 the best choice for this setup or should I go the with the Mac Pro 3.1?

My KPs were under both H3A and stock firmware. I don't like to RMA something unless I am certain of the problem. I have my hands on some different memory. I will be testing my original components in depth on a different motherboard. If I get the panics, Ill test the memory. Ill let all know where the problem is later this week.

QUO has been very helpful and responsive. They have offered to RMA but I want to make sure Im not missing something with my components.

I am eager to see the source release and a possible build guide. xpamamadeus' post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291655-ozmosis/ has been getting a lot of traffic and people are successfully implementing the same process on other boards.

Not sure if the kextexcluded list will cause a problem down the road with the particular version of FakeSMC. The code signing situation related to how 10.9 will handle kexts may render the entire topic moot.

I also wondered about MacPro 3.1. Not sure. When I get my hardware situation squared away, Ill look into it.

Since I don't think I've seen references on how to make iMessages work for the QUO board with H3A firmware, here's what I did (based on other threads):

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosVersion=MM61.88Z.0106.B00.1208091121
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductName=Macmini6,2
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:SystemSerial=XXXXXXXXXXXX [appropriate serial generated by Chameleon Wizard, 12 characters]
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductFamily=Macmini
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductId=Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BaseBoardSerial=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX [17-digit serial number]
I think the trick was the BaseBoardSerial; if you run "nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BaseBoardSerial" you can see what yours is set to currently; mine was fewer than 17 characters, which seems to be the magic number.  I made up additional digits and appended them to get the right length, then wrote it back out.  iMessage worked after that.

CAVEATS:
1) Apple can certainly change stuff in the future, so this may stop working at some point.  If you are reading this post from the distant future, don't assume it still works.
2) Deauthorize your machine from iTunes before you do this so you don't eat up one of your 5 authorizations from your old machine ID.

I'm not able to flash the HermitCrab Labs BIOS H3A on the quo motherboard. The Q-Flash installer told me that I have an invalid BIOS image as you can see in the picture...Can anybody help me? I formatted the USB device with MS-DOS under mac OSX.

post-1114066-0-65028900-1378838184_thumb.jpg

post-1114066-0-64894100-1378838575_thumb.jpg

sTaN,

I had a few bad flashes to begin with. I checked the MD5 on the compressed file but must have had some issues in the decompression.

I would suggest that you check the MD5 of the actual rom.

Open Terminal type "MD5" a space and then drag the ROM to your Terminal window to fill in the path.
MD5 /Users/YOU/Desktop/Z77MXQUOAOS.H3A.739M.ROM

It should resolve:
MD5 (LOCATION/Z77MXQUOAOS.H3A.739M.ROM) = 0075a1008cef8f2dbac913a27ebdc061

If the MD5 checksum doesn't match, try re-downloading.

Thanks for your answer but the problem was not the file but the usb device. I copied the ROM file on an 4GB device first. After formatted a 2GB device the flash worked and now I install OSX Mountain Lion from a 32GB USB device...Hope it works. I guess I only have to install the audio fix and everything is fine including sleep mode and hdmi audio? Isn't it?

sTaN,

Interesting, I didnt think it would even read the USB device without formatting as FAT32.

I have some hardware related issues that I am dealing with (e.g., faulty memory) so my rig is down. Cant confirm HDMI for you.

In addition to the audio fix, I had issues with iMessages. This has been discussed within earlier posts in this thread and there is an easy fix. (Interestingly enough, I have actually had iMessages issues with two genuine Macs due to similar issues.)

Would you mind posting the CPU and actual model number for the memory modules you are using. You may consider placing this in your signature.

I changed my signature with the specs.

Installation was succesfull. I could fix the audio problem with the legacy files from quo. Only install the Audio patch for 10.8.4 (after I updated from 10.8.2. Otherwise you have to install the patch twice.)

Wake on LAN and sleep mode working great but I have the same issue with iMessage as described in this thread before. Is the workaround the only way to fix the iMessage issue?

Kind regards

sTaN,

I am not aware of a different solution.

Have you confirmed HDMI audio? I am also pretty sure HDMI is not hot plug-able. Not that it matters.

In addition, you may want to look into Trim Enabler as you have an SSD. That is something that you would likely need to address with that SSD on a genuine Mac, as well.

Confirmed: HDMI with audio working out of the box on a i5-2500k Sandy Bridge (Intel 3000). out of box 

Confirmed: Booting from raid. I have 2x 3tb sata 3 drives running right now. Software raid from install usb.  out of box

ML10.8.4 is being used oz.h3a bios. I  just installed from USB. Everything works so far out of box. 

F.Y.I. org.netkas.FakeSMC (1.0.0d1) Loaded

Side note:

It seems thunderbolt wont work with the sandy bridge with HD300 after some searching . I plan to swap to an Ivy soon

Is anybody using an Apple Thunderbolt monitor with this motherboard?  When I first tried it out, the video worked once the machine booted (not during BIOS), but none of the devices were detected.  PCI scans produce some complaints about overlapping PCI bridge configurations.  After I set the Thunderbolt security option to "disabled" in the BIOS, the machine booted up with all functionality of the monitor working; ethernet, firewire, USB (which includes webcam and audio).

Yesterday, after a loose power cable reset the machine, none of the thunderbolt devices worked on the monitor any more; just the video.  The security option is still set to disabled.

There are a number of Thunderbolt options in the BIOS; does anybody know what's recommended for compatibility with this stuff?

P.O.C. Bootcamp almost worked for me

So I was bored and wanted to see if bootcamp would work. Before anyone jumps on my nuts this was just as a proof of concept. This was on a single drive and if anything it is a nice way to get the bootcamp drivers put on a usb drive for ya. If that is all you need or want stop after my first step. 

1. Ran Bootcamp assistant got drivers computer rebooted.

2. I didn't have my dvd/cd set up as a boot method so I selected it from F12 in BIOS

3. Installed win7 x64* to Bootcamp drive after reformatting to NTFS

4. After install it reboots to finish install like normal. But mine didn't see the BC partition and I think it may be due to NTFS not being in oz.H3A **

5. Got the idea to finish install in VMware* loading BC partition as a VM. It did its thing and unmounted the partition and ran the rest of the install. It installed the VMtools and rebooted

6. Drug the windows support from my usb mounted in osx to the desktop in windows in the VM and installed bootcamp. Was just a test to see drag and drop from one os to other.

7. Rebooted into windows after BC stuff installed

8. Shut down windows and open preference pane  selected to boot from Bootcamp drive and it still booted into OSX

* VMware needs virtualization to be turned on in the bios for it to run x64 OS's it is off by default in oz.h3a

**I looked at h3a in MMTools and didn't see a ntfs driver I may be wrong but all I saw ExtFS, EnhancedFAT, and HFSPlus

I'll try to update the bios and reflash with ntfs driver tomorrow sometime.

I am pretty sure I need to add ntfs driver to h3a via this method http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291655-ozmosis/?hl=+quo to get this to work properly but hey bootcamp almost works OOB

If anyone has a dual boot system with NTFS working chime in. 2x drives or one partition ***See update below***

Happy Hacking

@bs0d  If your refering to my post about TB not working it is because I am using a Sand Bridge Processor with HD 3000 and TB doesn't work with it. If you have an Ivy Bridge with HD 4000 it should work OOB. TB relies on the GFX to work as it used for monitors and I am sure other reasons.

Update: I am not looking into this any further. I don't care to run this set up, it was just an oh what the heck lets see how Vanilla this things wants to act. You will see below on post  #453 winblows does work on multi partitioned drives with the oz.h3a bios 

cool, but USB 3.0 works OOB really ?

firewire 400 works OOB really ?

besides no TB

shall i continue ?

with my hacked ozmosis bios USB 3 works OOB firewire 400 too...

out board only dont have  thunderbold.