Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
meklort

New OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

3,618 posts in this topic

post-1206028-0-60936600-1377560001_thumb.jpg

1. It might be worth your while removing the processor and ensuring all the pins look ok before carefully reinserting it.

Regrettably, that was the culprit.  There's 4 pins that don't look so good.  I've added an image to this post.

attachicon.gifIMG_0040.JPG

Regrettably, that was the culprit.  There's 4 pins that don't look so good.  I've added an image to this post.

Yikes!

Confirm you have not broken a pin into the socket.

You generally can bend pens back into place. They need to be precisely positioned. You can look into the die from each side to line them up. Take your time and consider not using metal tools. A rigid plastic pick usually does the job. Grounding yourself would be good. Not something to do as you nervously slide your socks on the carpet.

Be very careful as you place it back in. Remember, it does not take any effort to slide into the socket. Dont push.

If you are lucky and you have no broken pins, static discharge or arching from the original install, you may be okay.

Yikes!

Confirm you have not broken a pin into the socket.

You generally can bend pens back into place. They need to be precisely positioned. You can look into the die from each side to line them up. Take your time and consider not using metal tools. A rigid plastic pick usually does the job. Grounding yourself would be good. Not something to do as you nervously slide your socks on the carpet.

Be very careful as you place it back in. Remember, it does not take any effort to slide into the socket. Dont push.

If you are lucky and you have no broken pins, static discharge or arching from the original install, you may be okay.

Or just RMA... 

Or just RMA... 

Yeah, I've gotten in touch with Quo.  I'm bummed that I've got to wait some more, but I'd rather not attempt to rectify this myself.  Thanks so much for all the help.  Slightly ashamed for missing something kinda obvious, but my mind was looking for something specific to the board being incorrectly setup on my end.

Yeah, I've contacted Quo asking for an RMA.  I'm bummed that I've got to wait some more, but I'd rather not attempt to rectify this myself.  Thanks so much for all the help.  Slightly ashamed for missing something kinda obvious, but my mind was looking for something specific to the board being incorrectly setup on my end.

Few people realise how easy it is for the pins to become damaged, and you are correct to RMA, as at least you can specifically advise what the problem is so you do not have to worry about that awful phrase "No fault found".  I only know through experience, I managed to damage a few pins once by over tightening  a CPU cooler. The base bracket managed to put pressure on the underside of the processor socket. That too was an RMA but was sorted without hassle.

Hope you won't have to wait too long. NB good pictures like yours help a lot.

I spent a bunch of hours with the Z77MX-QUO-AOS motherboard this weekend using the Hermitcrab Z77MXQUOAOS.H3A.739M bios and in a multiple operating system environment there seem to be issues. I have Windows 7, Windows 8 as well as OSX 10.8.4 installed on seperate hardrives set up as stand alone drives during the initial installation. With all three drives attached the bios tends to lose track of one of more hard drives, the most common problem I had was waking the computer from sleep in OSX, rebooting and then toggling F12 during reboot to try and select one of the windows drives. his also happened when using Windows and then trying to find the OSX drive on reboot using F12.

Sometimes the drive showed in the boot menu, sometimes not. Booting into setup hard drives would be mssing that were still connected. The drive would be missing from the hard drive priority menu and options boot menu drop down list until shutting the machine down completely and then restarting. Occasionally needing to repeat the shut down process more than once to get teh drive to show back up. A liitle flakey...flashed back to the original bios and went back to chameleon in a fresh OSX install and everything is more or less fine, no missing hard drives same configuration.

The one other issue I am having with either version of the bios is with the two Sata 6gbs connectors. I have three SSDs, one is and OWC Mercury 3GB Sata, one is a Vertex 3 from OCZ and the other is a Patriot Pyro LE, these are all left over from various other configurations and play together no problem on other Z77 and H77 boards.

On the Z77MX-QUO-AOS I can't share the Sata 6GB with two SSDs, one in connector 0 and one in 1. The drive in connector 1 does not get recognized, the drive in connector 0 is fine....I can attach the second SSD to one of the four SATA 3GB connectors and there are no issues...seems like a bios issue. Any suggestions as to why it would be an issue would be appreciated.

Fruitboi, http://www.mediafire...08072013[1].zip

Grab the legacy file there. You will find a script to fix audio in PatchALC892 folder.

Thanks Joe75,

I did find that and will try on the next OS update. 

Can anybody confirm their CPU Multiplier and power management?   I can sleep and wake up fine, the CPU just does not throttle down while idle. The only way I know how to see this is via iStat Menus' Sensor widget

post-213920-0-54258400-1377647307_thumb.png

Hello everyone, long time lurker on this site, but this is one of my first posts. I received my Quo MB a few days ago. Today I installed W7 on a SSD, worked like a charm. This evening I flashed the custom bios, ran the 10.8 usb installer on a different SSD, worked like a charm. But I have two challenges: the first one is I cannot seem to get the OZ boot manager GUI to load (even though F12 works). 

The second issue is that F12 only works if I have a DVI monitor plugged in. If I am on a TB display, it seems to hang.

Are these known issues? Any known workarounds?

Any tips will be appreciated - but this thing is rocking! Thanks to everyone who has worked on it.

Can anybody confirm their CPU Multiplier and power management?   I can sleep and wake up fine, the CPU just does not throttle down while idle. The only way I know how to see this is via iStat Menus' Sensor widget

The Disabler.kext in bios blocks IntelCpuPowerManagement.

The question is on purpose?

The Disabler.kext in bios blocks IntelCpuPowerManagement.

The question is on purpose?

I would assume its needed for installing from 10.6 because the cpu would be unknown to AICPUPM and cause a panic. 

Has anybody ordered the board from QUO's website and received it ? Because shipping time is like one week and many kickstarters have not received their boards yet, just wondering

Has anybody ordered the board from QUO's website and received it ? Because shipping time is like one week and many kickstarters have not received their boards yet, just wondering

Ordered July 25th via website and recently received my shipping notice and alert that it has been picked up.

It appears they shipped 2-day USPS versus FedEx ground. Likely arrival on East Coast by Friday.

Hmm, anyone been able to get the audio to function under 10.8.4? HDA auto configure doesn't seem to work with this mobo. OS X detects the codecs but cant seem to figure out layout issues. Manually patching it ala the shell script does patch AppleHDA.Kext corectly but OS X still cant seem to make heads or tails of the port layout. ideas?

Hmm, anyone been able to get the audio to function under 10.8.4? HDA auto configure doesn't seem to work with this mobo. OS X detects the codecs but cant seem to figure out layout issues. Manually patching it ala the shell script does patch AppleHDA.Kext corectly but OS X still cant seem to make heads or tails of the port layout. ideas?

There is a whole bunch of information about how to patch AppleHDA right here on this website and it works with this board. Check the Hardware/ Audio Forum

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284004-script-to-patch-applehda-binary-for-osx107108/

There is a whole bunch of information about how to patch AppleHDA right here on this website and it works with this board. Check the Hardware/ Audio Forum

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284004-script-to-patch-applehda-binary-for-osx107108/

True, but I have yet to find one that works with this mobo. HDA script patch, bootloader patch, QUO legacy patch, HDA GUI patcher, nothing has worked so far. Hence why I was asking if anyone got it working.

cwestpha, what outputs are you using for audio and did you follow the instruction for the PatchALC892 running it from / and using the correct folder?

cwestpha, what outputs are you using for audio and did you follow the instruction for the PatchALC892 running it from / and using the correct folder?

Its ok I got it. Had to throw together an HDAEnabler.kext, ugh I hate doing it this way so nasty and breaks with every update. The entire idea behind this thing was its supposed to just work once you get the bootloader configured (and that was supposed to be easy since most modern loaders have some intelligence with auto configuring). I hope they merge the HDA edits into the built-in DSDT like it was SUPPOSED to out of the box instead of needing to do them manually. Their implementation of ALC 892 seems to be detected right off the bat by the OS, its just they aren't supplying OS X with the addition device description information to auto-configure it so we can see the System manager Audio Pref Pane auto-populated by at-least the native mobo stuff. Shouldn't be to hard since the other OSs will just skip the additional lines that don't apply to it and OS X will just grab and load it.

The problem is applehda is always updated and changed. You would need to add voodoohda if you don't want to deal with updates.

Okay, I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  I got my KS ProjectQ board, flashed the H3A.739M EFI image onto it, restored basic BIOS settings, and tried to boot off of a stock 10.8 flash drive.  It stops after the line

considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel org.netkas.FakeSMC triggered rebuild

Nothing after that.  I don't have a graphics card installed, just 16GB of RAM and an Ivy Bridge i5-3570 CPU with HD4000 graphics.  From what I've seen, it seems like this should just work.  The only difference I can think of between this and systems that people are reporting success with is that most seem to be using an i7-3770.  If it really needs the i7, I'll get one, but it seemed like another HD4000 chip should work.

Any ideas?