meklort

New OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

4,034 posts in this topic

Advertisement

I am sorry but 10.6.3 is not supporting SandyBridge or later while you tell about Z77 motherboard?

Is this guide proved?

I can confirm this works. This board with the H3A bios can boot directly to an unmodified 10.6.3 retail install DVD. Install went fine, even software update to 10.6.8. I am going to try some PPC apps....

yoyostring,

You did nothing but flash the board and boot from the 10.6.3 retail disk?

No previous installations on the drive that may have had an effect on your results?

Hi Guys,

I wanted to report that I finally got to building my box, flashing the ProjectQ motherboard and installing 10.8.4 today. Sweet! Installs from normal retail USB installer without issue. Everything worked except Audio. Installed ALC892 from Toleda to get that working.

Then I got greedy and decided to boot a drive from a MBP.  Everything fired right up! Amazing! I had to install FakeSMC & Plugins to get temp sensors working in iStat Menus and install audio drivers.  Is there a better way to get temp sensors and audio working?

The only issue I can detect is that my CPU multiplier is fixed at the maximum.  My Chameleon system will scale down to 1.6GHz to 3.2GHz to save power. Any idea how to get power management working on the ProjectQ?

Thanks!

I am also wondering about what the best way for hardware monitoring is on this board.  I guess there is nothing that will work correctly without installing additional kexts?

And it's like I said earlier, as you found out by now, and thus whatever the other guy said... it can be done. You should now be able to boot from your HFS partitions ;)

And wrong again. Just by adding hfsplus.efi you still can't use boot.efi to boot up OS X. That requires some more work. For a start you need at least add support for fat efi files, then write the fsb into the device tree and fix the aptio memory map {censored}. Also a custom smbios is required. Otherwise boot.efi won't even start the kernel. ;)

And wrong again. Just by adding hfsplus.efi you still can't use boot.efi to boot up OS X. That requires some more work. For a start you need at least add support for fat efi files, then write the fsb into the device tree and fix the aptio memory map {censored}. Also a custom smbios is required. Otherwise boot.efi won't even start the kernel. ;)

u didnt understand why in first place i put hfsplus in bios.

It wass becouse of Clover and clover can use this driver from bios and then its no need to have this in drivers64uefi folder.

u didnt understand why in first place i put hfsplus in bios.

It wass becouse of Clover and clover can use this driver from bios and then its no need to have this in drivers64uefi folder.

Trust me I do understand you. But I was referring to that other guy.

yoyostring,

You did nothing but flash the board and boot from the 10.6.3 retail disk?

No previous installations on the drive that may have had an effect on your results?

That is correct. There is no /boot on the drive. I used the BOOT override section in the BIOS configuration (DEL) to select my boot drive. F12 doesn't work for me like the web page mentions (Pressing F12 results in no boot for me, doesn't even display the boot drive selection just shows black on the monitor.)

PPC apps work on 10.6.8 with this Board and the H3A BIOS.

Unfortunately the screen res defaults to 1024x768 instead of my monitor's native 1920x1200. This BIOS also does this for Windows and ML until the login screen appears. I am using a GTX660TI and I didn't change any BIOS settings from default. If I find a good deal on a single slot graphics card that works with 10.6 and 10.8 I might try that.

as far as i can remember SL never had any supported Driver  for  Kepler Cards correct me when wrong  ,id go for something older like a 9600 if you wanna stick with Snow Leopard   

but for ML your 660 , should be perfectly fine  

Hello all.  New here.  Finally received my board as a kickstarter backer yesterday.  Busy weekend with the family, but blocked out some time to assemble all of my parts and try booting it up.  So far, I've been running into some difficulties.  RIght now, I can't get it to boot up.  Fans are spinning, everything looks good, but I get no video and no beep codes.

Yanking the memory gets me beep codes, but adding a stick puts me back to silence.

I've cleared CMOS, yanked the battery, no luck.

Currently reduced to the following components:

Z77MX-QUO-AOS

i7-3770K

32G Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

PSU Corsair TX650M

Anything obvious out of alignment here?

Hello all.  New here.  Finally received my board as a kickstarter backer yesterday.  Busy weekend with the family, but blocked out some time to assemble all of my parts and try booting it up.  So far, I've been running into some difficulties.  RIght now, I can't get it to boot up.  Fans are spinning, everything looks good, but I get no video and no beep codes.

I would pull two of the four memory modules. They are paired so leave one in socket #1 and one in socket #2. (If they are not labeled, #1 should be furthest from the CPU next to the ATX power connector. Counting from #1 its 1,3,2,4. #4 being closest to the CPU. So place your memory in #1 and #2.

Can you audibly describe the beeps? Number of beeps and pauses. Maybe upload a recording?

I would pull two of the four memory modules. They are paired so leave one in socket #1 and one in socket #2. (If they are not labeled, #1 should be furthest from the CPU next to the ATX power connector. Counting from #1 its 1,3,2,4. #4 being closest to the CPU. So place your memory in #1 and #2.

Can you audibly describe the beeps? Number of beeps and pauses. Maybe upload a recording?

I've tried starting up with the memory in the 2 furthest slots from the cpu, no beeps.  Swapped for the other pair in the same slots, no beeps.  Here's an audio recording from my phone of the beeps when no memory is inserted.  20-30 short beeps in quick succession, then it'll reboot and do the same all over again.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/si0dgw

I've tried starting up with the memory in the 2 furthest slots from the cpu, no beeps.  Swapped for the other pair in the same slots, no beeps.  

No, they do not go side by side. Please install two modules on the following locations CPU [ ]  [X]  [ ]  [X]  ATX power adapter. See photo below.

In addition, I think it might be something else but lets get the memory in the right place first. Let me know if it does the same thing or if you get a different series of beeps.

In addition, a photos of the motherboard showing everything you see below, especially the ATX 12V in the upper left corner as well as the main motherboard power connector would be helpful.

memory.jpg

I've cleared CMOS, yanked the battery, no luck.

Currently reduced to the following components:

Z77MX-QUO-AOS

i7-3770K

32G Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

PSU Corsair TX650M

Anything obvious out of alignment here?

Monitor connection? are you getting any post?

Let us know after you connected memory as indicated.

I've tried the memory in this configuration as well.  Still no video/no beep codes.  The only way I've managed to get beep codes is with the memory fully removed.

Here goes, let me know if you need more visual detail on anything.

th_itsjustdave-mainboard.jpg

Thanks so much for your help on this.

EDIT: Monitor is hooked up via onboard DVI connector and I'm not getting any video at all.  No post.

I've tried the memory in this configuration as well.  Still no video/no beep codes.  The only way I've managed to get beep codes is with the memory fully removed.

Here goes, if you need a better shot on anything, met me know.  Let me know if you need more visual detail on anything.

th_itsjustdave-mainboard.jpg

Thanks so much for your help on this.

EDIT: Monitor is hooked up via onboard DVI connector and I'm not getting any video at all.  No post.

The aforementioned memory placement is the correct placement and you appear to have it correct in the photos.

Placing the memory in a different arrangement will likely give you posts.

Continuous posts and restart is usually a power issue. In your case it would appear to be memory.

If you are not getting posts, that is good. It is likely something to do with your video. How are you connected to your monitor?

i don't see a drive connected in that pic.. ?

I believe that the OP is just trying is just trying to get to the UEFI interface.

If you are not getting posts, that is good. It is likely something to do with your video. How are you connected to your monitor?

I believe that the OP is just trying is just trying to get to the UEFI interface.

I edited previous post to include the following: Monitor is hooked up via onboard DVI connector and I'm not getting any video at all.  No post.

I did not see any jumper configuration that would appear to enable the on-board video, so I assumed it was on by default.  Is there something I'm missing?

And yes, I disconnected the drives after running into issues with post/video

ItsJustDave,

With no posts, I would be willing to bet it is a video related issue.

1. Unplug the DVI connector from the monitor
  2. Remove power from the monitor and give it time to drain
  3. Power the monitor up and let it auto cycle through its inputs. After a minute or two most monitors give up and place a "check inputs" or color bars on the screen.
  4. Power the monitor off
  5. Plug the DVI connector in
  6. Power up the monitor
  7. Power up the computer

Else, you are going to have to contact Quo. My board has not come in and so I cant try to replicate your issue.

ItsJustDave,

With no posts, I would be willing to bet it is a video related issue.

1. Unplug the DVI connector from the monitor
  2. Remove power from the monitor and give it time to drain
  3. Power the monitor up and let it auto cycle through its inputs. After a minute or two most monitors give up and place a "check inputs" or color bars on the screen.
  4. Power the monitor off
  5. Plug the DVI connector in
  6. Power up the monitor
  7. Power up the computer

Else, you are going to have to contact Quo. My board has not come in and so I cant try to replicate your issue.

Yeah, none if that improved anything.  Regrettably, this is my first build in over 6 years (Mac Mini and MBP retina since), so I don't have another box to swap parts with to try and isolate anything.  I'm going to drop Quo an e-mail and hope they can help.

Sorry buddy. Let us know your progress.

My tracking number just arrived. Im going to wait till the board arrives and then order pretty much the same model memory and CPU.

Good luck.

Yeah, none if that improved anything.  Regrettably, this is my first build in over 6 years (Mac Mini and MBP retina since), so I don't have another box to swap parts with to try and isolate anything.  I'm going to drop Quo an e-mail and hope they can help.

1. It might be worth your while removing the processor and ensuring all the pins look ok before carefully reinserting it.

2. Ensure that the power header cables are fully pushed in.

3. Try with one memory module only inserted in the slot furthest away from the CPU, if that fails remove and try the other memory module in the same slot.

Good luck...

Oh come on that is silly. I most certainly know what is required, but I replied to a Clover user.