InsanelyMac Forum
  • Announcements

• Allan

Solution to create a topic or post.   04/24/2018

Hello guys. The majority of you are having issues to create a topic or post here. This are a problem with our current theme InsanelyMac.  Now the theme will be the Default IPS. Sorry for any inconvenience.
meklort

New OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

Perhaps he meant to say a "money making scam"?

She may have meant scam. Even so, her description doesn't fit the definition of a scam, unless an aspect of the product has been misrepresented for Rashantha's personal gain. If the backers never get the board or were lied to about features, then it would qualify as a scam or scheme. As it stands, you could argue for or against it being overpriced, but that's not the same thing as it being a "scam". As annoyed as I am with this project, accuracy is still important to me.

Advertisement

I hope someone would like to have a more tecnichal conversation and thanks in advance for any helps.

I'm planning to build up a couple of machines for Digital Cinema copying/transcoding/capturing hundreds of GB of videodata everyday, I'm quite aware of what I need in terms of GPU and speciality cards (AJA Kona3G/RedRocket) but I would like to listen some opinions about CPU/RAM.

I'm not sure between:

i7 3770K + 4x8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

or

E3-1275v2 + 4x8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1600 Server Memory

I don't think to overclock and this mobos will be on set with me so heating it's a problem and I consider the lower power consumpion of the Xeon a benefit and I think the P3000 could be enough to run one HD display (for copy/transcode) and the capturing machine will be equipped with a 680 or a Titan.

E3-1275v2 + 4x8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1600 Server Memory

Quo motherboard do not support Xeons, so you do not have any choice with this board.

For heavy duty encoding, video or audio, rendering and long session of number crunching I would get a Xeon for the benefit of ECC ram.

Why do you consider that Quo doesn't support this Xeon? E3-1275v2 is a 4 core LGA 1155.

There' any other problem besides the socket that I'm not aware of?

Thanks anyway.

Why do you consider that Quo doesn't support this Xeon? E3-1275v2 is a 4 core LGA 1155.

There' any other problem besides the socket that I'm not aware of?

I specifically asked that question and the answer that followed was that I3, i5 and i7 are supported...

No precision if it was meant as "Won't work" or "Could work but we won't provide support".

You're welcome to give it a try.  :)

FINALLY. It has arrived.

wait... wrong package. It is all the parts to build a replica of the Apollo Guidance Computer (http://klabs.org/history/build_agc/)

Has anyone asked about the "custom software" and UEFI capabilities that are referenced on the site? In addition, I would be curious what the warranty provides.

I don't know but this is getting really weird since you hear nothing from them and the numbers of mobos in stock constantly lowers and the kickstarterguys being mad cause they get no info either and nothing seem to be shipped out to anybody and all seem to be a mess. I don't know if it is so but it looks very strange from the outside.

I bought mine from their online store (thinking they actually had 200 + mobos in stock) using Paypal and I guess there´s a limit how long I can wait before I start a Dispute to get my money back. This is over a week back and so far not even a confirmation email they recived my order and the money. I even emailed them but no reply.

I don't want to start up anything and I want that mobo. I really wish them good luck I think it's a really cool thing they're doing with this mobo but it's starting to be so so strange I've never experienced anything like this before.

So what the do I do? 

So what the do I do? 

Wait.

Shipping 2-3 weeks

means shipping 2-3 weeks, simple as that.

Since you are not a ks backer, you will have to wait.

As was stated here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/quo/projectq-run-any-os-the-unique-motherboard/posts/544747 ks pledges will be shipped first, then those from site.

Stock is normal to get low since orders are made, and it cover both ks and online.

Hope is clear now.

Hi everyone

Just want to sort out a few things.

We will commence KS shipping this week and finish by Monday or Wednesday.

After that we will start shipping regular orders.

If we missed an email we are sorry. Please do email sales@quocomputer.com

We can not offer support on KS comments and on this thread, I don't think IM intended it's forums to be used in this manner.

We also have a phone number. 213.784.0060

We now have stock. But inventory is almost sold out.

Last of the bulk packs will be put on line this weekend for system builders - 10 boards per carton and there is only 500 left (50 bulk packs).

Another case of someone thinking that a KS project has a quick and fast turn around and thinks they will get the product the next week. KS project projected shipping date I always add 3 months and in most cases is right on to when I will get the product. People who are not engineers or are not in production do not understand how taking a R&D project from a test bed to mass production almost always has some issues regardless what the item is. 

To all the people who are upset just take my input for what its worth and take a deep breath and relax. You will get your boards and the day you get it you will forget all about why you were upset... 

I am not sure what all of the fuss is. I have received prompt responses to all of my inquires.

My questions were with regard to the next run. I was told that 500 more boards are coming; however, these will be for system builders who want to buy 10 at a time.

In addition, I asked about confirmed supported memory. They did not narrow it down to model number. They referenced Corsair XMS and Kingston. Obviously that is not entirely useful; however, it does give me a ballpark on what to purchase. I could easily ask for the exact model. I am sure they would respond.

A purge of senseless posts would do this thread some good. Hopefully this happens before the boards begin to arrive. That way we have a clean slate to discuss our experience.

I was in the same boat as you, Lanceomni, for some time. I didn't understand what people's problems were. I defended Quo quite a bit. That is, until I asked questions that Rashantha or Quo could not, or did not want to, answer. It's at that point that I stopped receiving replies to my emails. I've sent maybe 7-8 total since I first inquired about the board BEFORE it was put on KS. First few questions were pretty general questions and got a quick response. As things progressed, and the project goals were not met, the questions I asked  became more specific and that is when I stopped being satisfied with the lack of response. I finally received an answer to my last email asking about the WiFI board and a SPECIFIC date that the shipping is to start. There are still quite a few unanswered questions regarding major aspects of the board and/or the add-on WiFi/BT card. Maybe YOU are satisfied because you have asked relatively innocuous questions and gotten satisfactory replies. Others do not share your experience or your lower threshold for satisfaction.

To get somekind of proof of life I had to do a dispute thingy over on paypal, I did get a reply though so ........ I just don't wanna be ignored thats all. I guess people in general feel the same so ........

There is at least one guy on the Kickstarter comments section that has a board. When I emailed Quo yesterday I was told the inventory and ship time on the site was accurate.

I have been following the kickstarter comments board. It appears that they are actively working to fix bugs. The website includes two UEFI updates.

• Z77MXQUOAOS.F2N dated 7/5/13
  • Z77MXQUOAOS.F3A dated 7/17/13

A crude review of the files indicate that there differences between the files and that they are very similar to Z77MXD3H.F16d available for the likely model that this motherboard was made from.

Jeff Carnell has uploaded a copy of their user 36 page user manual.

There have been several posts on kickstarter that talk about the 1394b header and lack of supplied bracket. One individual said that none exist on the market, which ridiculous because they are readily available.

I have not seen an instance of someone trying the correct header to bracket.

Review of the manual shows the following changes to the UEFI:

1. MIT Miscellaneous Settings subsection added and the following features are listed:
    1. PEG - Gen X Allows you to set the operation mode of the PCI Express slots to Gen 1, Gen 2, or Gen 3. Actual operation mode is subject to the hardware specification of each slot. For example, the PCI Express x1 slots can support up to Gen 2 mode only. Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto)
    2. 3DMark01 Boost Allows you to determine whether to enhance some legacy benchmark performance. (Default: Disabled)

Nothing else jumped out at me.

Jeff Carnell's posting of the user manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a4gdjyok89ji35/e_Z77MX-QUO-AOS_1001.pdf

Kickstarter Comments Board:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/quo/projectq-run-any-os-the-unique-motherboard/comments

I think I'll go ahead and get one.  If nothing else for the FW and TB onboard.  Even though it's a bit light on number of slots a hefty audio production rig could be made.  I've got a 1,1 Mac Pro and the form factor is perfect for the case.

Pretty much what I thought too but over all imagine not having to do anuthing but drop in the dvd or usb drive install and youre good to go. I like hackintoshing but every once and while I sure could have use for the "real" thing throughout the years.

Pretty much what I thought too but over all imagine not having to do anuthing but drop in the dvd or usb drive install and youre good to go. I like hackintoshing but every once and while I sure could have use for the "real" thing throughout the years.

Quite simple: buy an iMac or a MacMini. :)

99pi.jpgWhat an experience.  I was lucky enough to have a developer who was involved with the project ship back a near final prototype board...

And in exchange for an honest review I was allowed time with the board.

It's truly the culmination of all things this community stands for AND MORE!

This board with some decent hardware attached to it SMOKES any OS I try to throw at it -- even ones not officially supported.

My review is almost done -- the recent updates on the KS campaign have driven me to move towards completion as interest increases in this board 10 fold.

Oh yeah...

Just wanted to share the Legacy files with you looking forward to this!

I may or may not have already seen a revision of this BIOS, does the GTX660Ti work on this revision (since on H3A.705 it did not) with HDMI audio, any progress on fixing the Messages bug?

I have been following the kickstarter comments board. It appears that they are actively working to fix bugs. The website includes two UEFI updates.

• Z77MXQUOAOS.F2N dated 7/5/13
  • Z77MXQUOAOS.F3A dated 7/17/13

A crude review of the files indicate that there differences between the files and that they are very similar to Z77MXD3H.F16d available for the likely model that this motherboard was made from.

Jeff Carnell has uploaded a copy of their user 36 page user manual.

There have been several posts on kickstarter that talk about the 1394b header and lack of supplied bracket. One individual said that none exist on the market, which ridiculous because they are readily available.

I have not seen an instance of someone trying the correct header to bracket.

Review of the manual shows the following changes to the UEFI:

1. MIT Miscellaneous Settings subsection added and the following features are listed:
    1. PEG - Gen X Allows you to set the operation mode of the PCI Express slots to Gen 1, Gen 2, or Gen 3. Actual operation mode is subject to the hardware specification of each slot. For example, the PCI Express x1 slots can support up to Gen 2 mode only. Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto)
    2. 3DMark01 Boost Allows you to determine whether to enhance some legacy benchmark performance. (Default: Disabled)

Nothing else jumped out at me.

Jeff Carnell's posting of the user manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a4gdjyok89ji35/e_Z77MX-QUO-AOS_1001.pdf

Kickstarter Comments Board:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/quo/projectq-run-any-os-the-unique-motherboard/comments

That Jeff Carnell is such a loser