• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
meklort

New OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

3,619 posts in this topic

@3.14TeR they [the makers] have been working on the audio for months, I think I can speak on their behalf that they wouldn't sell a half assed product that will lack the audio working.

I mean honestly, have a little faith in their effort.

First off - Awesome new design on the web page - SOOOOO much better than before!

Second - did I see the price listed for the MB on pre-order status at $219? That a pretty reasonable price considering all that is on there. Its a little more pricy then similar boards, but its also got things on there that others don't, and I really like the open-source BIOS. I think that even if you like to make a system from scratch and test out what you can do, this is still a good board. If I hadn't already bully my rig, I would be first in line buying this MB and makes me dream about building another rig. ahhhhh... one can dream.

... anyways, good job guys and good luck! Please keep the updates coming!

Most PCI soundcards aren't supported in 10.7/10.8 anymore, because the manufacturers refuse to update the drivers. And i can understand them, they're interested to sell new products instead of wasting their time on supporting outdated 10+ years old technology. I'm selling my RME 9632 card soon, would you like to buy it? :)

Sorry I have a bunch of cards mysel lol.

I have two pci cards in my ML. build so it works ok. The M-Audio Delta 1010 and 44 works really good with the driver you can find in the Audio section here. The other card is an older long 32 and 64 bit card and it works out of the box so probably a lot of different cards probably would work.

Great idea to develop an open firmware and open OS MOBO..........reminds me of the DD-WRT firmware project (Linux based alternative Open Source firmware for a wide range of OEM WLAN routers and embedded systems) which I use on my WLAN routers (Motorola and Buffalo models).........KUDOS to all involved in the project.........it will be even better news if and when it becomes easily available to purchase outside the USA....... :thumbsup_anim:

Clever, really clever! Price is relative to how much effort goes into building the machine, but at this point irrelevant. UEFI makes it all possible. I even fathom Taiwanese board makers will heed the call and soon jump into the fray. Nevertheless, this is the first ever. Frame it and perhaps some days display it at some museum of science!

The LifeQ looks so good, though I don't know how well it ventilates.

It's definitely an interesting idea, but the board definitely seems pricey for what it has to offer. Specifically, in regards to hackintoshing, most modern boards seem to have excellent OSx86 compatibility, with most people will to go the extra mile to do the research to get their particular components working properly.

I agree with besweeet. Haswell is coming next corner. This type project has not enough resource to keep it up to date. Evolution is too fast. It is more effective to focus better and stronger software development, meaning boot loaders and kexts. in my humble opinion.

I hope this project everything well. Of course.

T -.-

I am old men words corny meaning, excuse me this.

I agree with besweeet. Haswell is coming next corner. This type project has not enough resource to keep it up to date. Evolution is too fast. It is more effective to focus better and stronger software development, meaning boot loaders and kexts. in my humble opinion.

I hope this project everything well. Of course.

T -.-

I am old men words corny meaning, excuse me this.

Yes Haswell is comming and we do have plans for it only if it will fit the AOS standards, we don't know yet if will be adopted by Apple so no point to even think on it now.

First step is always harder to make, after that is more easy, and we do have enough resources, just wait and you will see the magic ;)

It's definitely an interesting idea, but the board definitely seems pricey for what it has to offer. Specifically, in regards to hackintoshing, most modern boards seem to have excellent OSx86 compatibility, with most people will to go the extra mile to do the research to get their particular components working properly.

I wont argue on price anymore, is pointless, I will say just this, here the most cheap motherboard with Z77 express chipset and 2 Cactus Ridge Thunderbolt ports is 200 euro not dollars, and is way far from AOS hardware specifications and goodies.

Clever, really clever! Price is relative to how much effort goes into building the machine, but at this point irrelevant. UEFI makes it all possible. I even fathom Taiwanese board makers will heed the call and soon jump into the fray. Nevertheless, this is the first ever. Frame it and perhaps some days display it at some museum of science!

The LifeQ looks so good, though I don't know how well it ventilates.

For sure I will frame it! :)

Guys you are missing the point with this project. We don't want to be at the mercy of hardware manufacturers on changing components on a whim. If this is a success you will see some great supporting hardware to come.

Yes, it has been a hard journey. But a lot has been learned on the way.

We don't want to be dependent on Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Asrock etc.

We want to push the envelope.

We want people to able to design/build there own systems.

The QUO website is terrible.

If you've worked all these months on the custom BIOS, please please include the ability to boot in Target Disk Mode like real Macs. This is one of the very best ideas that Apple ever implemented. The lack of Target Disk Mode is a huge hassle on all hackintosh, so PLEASE write Target Disk Mode boot into your custom BIOS. If you do, you'll sell 10x more of these motherboards.

Yep - but that extra coding cant be for free. If they put too much work on it, it may get to expensive.

I think they didnt buy / let build ten thousends of mainboards / order, so there benefit isnt as much as the benefit of mainboard companys / board.

What about things like overclocking? Will it have suitable options (and heatsinks for the parts that need it) for that? What about Win8 and secure boot support?

Good that you included FireWire on it, it's becoming rare on other motherboards.

just think why projects like coreboot does not have big success, because developers are not working on same project, just imagine how would be to get the majority of osx86 developers to work on this one... <cut> ... and more then that everything we add/change in firmware will be open source!

From my point of view the fun just starts...

+1000 :)

Open source is the way to go, knowledge should be shared.

A great book upon this subject: "After the software wars" by Keith Curtis

The funnest part of hackintoshing is getting it to work.

This mobo takes that away.

The funnest part of hackintoshing is getting it to work.

This mobo takes that away.

Some people are hardware guys, some people are software guys. I am way stronger n hardware than I am software, mostly because I have lagged so far behind in my programming skills. To have a motherboard that is as close to possible of working with whichever OS I want right outta the box means less time, for me, futzing with kext files, flashing Mac roms onto my PC GPU, etc., etc. I get far more enjoyment out of hardware hacking than software hacking. I know there are people like me, and there are people who are the opposite of me.

I think that this is a great OPTION for those that want to go that route. If you want to do everything from scratch, then by all means - have at it! Nobody is saying that this is the only option... hell, I haven't even heard anyone say this is the best option. But I sure have heard a lot of people say how bad this is. I don't get it. How is another option bad?

The point of this forum (or so I think) is to create an environment to be supportive of people who are making hackintoshes. Personally, even if I dont like or even agree with something or someone, if it benefits the community as a whole, then they will get my FULL support. I try to see past what I want and hopefully encourage others to do what they want with help, tips, advice, or the occasional "whaaaaaa???".

I also like to take four wheel drive rigs and torture them on boulders, and read big long books by obscure foreign authors - all for fun. Fun is what you make it. I don't think anyone or anything can take fun away from you - that's what someone does to themselves.

Awesome. Can't wait to see them available in Europe to buy from a local reseller.

Will they be in different PCB colors or just black? (i love black though)

Thanks in advance and great work, really :)

Would all the kexts be vanilla except for audio or would there have to be some modified kexts like now for ML 10.8.2 for a few PC's and Laptops out there such as AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Would the UEFI be as close to or nearly the same as the APple EFI for this MOBO?

Would a DSDT/SSDT still be needed?

It's almost looking like the future of the Mac Pro may have meet its fate and would like a MOBO like this as an alternate solution.

Thanks

Great project! For those who say it takes fun out of hackintoshing or can build and source compatible parts on their own, they are right....but--WHY DOES EVERYONE ACT LIKE YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE HACKINTOSH!? Don't you see possibility you can have your cake and eat it too? This gives a perfect platform for a smaller "MacMini killer" media PC where you don't have room in the case for add on everything that don't work otb, and have it fit in small space by TV, and is PITA to have to work on in ultra compact case. I love tinkering with my hackintosh, but when it's movie time and the popcorn is fresh made and I fire up PLEX, I want it to work and not have to start unhooking stuff behind the TV to troubleshoot while popcorn gets cold and I explain to everyone how it worked before they came over to watch a movie. Also need one always working to help fix the others :) I want this! First mobo that make me consider buying a CPU with iGPU built into it and opens up some cool new possibilities for a build that is in many ways the opposite of what I'm accustomed to, but getting it won't cause my existing hack to unbuild it's self, or change what I love about it. So I say, hack 'em all! QUO's, laptops, netbooks, ultrabooks, convertible tablet thingys, Rasberry Pi's, Commodore's, Arduino's, Surfaces, microwaves, and the biggest baddest desktop you can afford with a big case to fill with all it's swag. Let some be challenging or even senseless, and others "just work". How much of one or the other you have is entirely up to you, and that is the point!

*note-many of the things mentioned above cannot run any Apple OS at this time, maybe someday though!*