Native Adapter Woes - AR5BXB112

wormyrocks

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm currently running a Hackintosh with an AR5BXB112 wi-fi adapter (this model) and I am pulling my hair out trying to get it to work on a PCIe adapter.

I can't figure out whether it's a hardware problem or a software problem. Initially I had thought that the issue was that the wireless card was not appropriately seated in the adapter and that it needed to be screwed into the PCB to be properly grounded. After acquiring some screws I found that they made no difference in my reception.

Basically what will happen is I will turn on wi-fi, the computer will recognize and connect to the wireless network (giving me a few moments of connectivity) and then immediately disconnect. The same thing happens regardless of whether or not my screws are attached to the PCB. I experienced similar symptoms with another card, the ARBC94321.

So, in a moment of desperation, I removed the little metal shield on the card. That made a difference.. but an odd one. Now, when I connect to wi-fi, I get a full strength signal, and it says I'm connected to the Internet... but when I unplug my Ethernet cable, I stay fully connected to the wi-fi network, but it says that I've lost my Internet connection.

I'm sort of at my wit's end. I've been through a TP-Link adapter and two wi-fi cards. Is there some software configuration thing that I can try, or is my PCI adapter likely faulty? Should I put the shield back on? Should I just up and buy a WDN4800? Gah.