K0gen

Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

4,983 posts in this topic

Ok, so even though I 100% had the BT working in Windows, it's now not working in Windows or Mac. Further reading and it seems that the MoBo in the T420 (my two at least) doesn't support the combo cards because it can't do PCIe and USB simultaneously on the same interface.

I did get the BT to work but only by holding it in the socket on the underside but then WiFi wouldn't work lol.

So I decided to just buy one of those GMYLE things. Tiny, tiny, tiny little BT4 adapters that have native support with Apple for Handoff and such - £10 on Amazon!

Advertisement

Quick question, once installation is done and put kext to /L/E, do I need to remove them from /EFI/Clover/kexts folder? or just leave them there and Clover will bypass the injection?

@arix98 - yes you should leave the kexts in EFI. The are for use OS X installers and/or Recovery HD - OS cases where Clover does not detect kexts installed on HD.

@arix98 - yes you should leave the kexts in EFI. The are for use OS X installers and/or Recovery HD - OS cases where Clover does not detect kexts installed on HD.

Thanks. I read some clover document and seems that, when injectkext is "detect" -- which is your default setting, clover will bypass injection when fakesmc is in the  cache, so it should be OK to leave it there.

And just to confirm, I did a fresh install using your 0927 updated guide/kexts on a T420 with 1600x900 LCD, I replaced vboxhfs-64.efi with hfsplus.efi though as suggested by some other guides to be safe, other than that, no modification and its SUPER smooth and trouble free.

Few things after installation:

1. can you please add this mode to dsdt.aml to get Fn+Home/Fn+End working?

2. Anyway to adjust the fan speed? My T420 i5-2430M idles at 800MHz, 45C with a fan speed of 3200RPM, which is kinda high comparing to ~1800RPM on Windows.

@gromalle - pretty nice jump in speed ~2x... how much was the chip?

@arix98 - sure i added the fn+home/end for brightness. i got used to ScrLk and Pause keys for this... when i am not using my apple BT keyboard which has brightness keys on F1/F2.

so yeah i guess having 2 or 3 ways to change the screen brightness is fine! 

fan - with just LCD it settles in at ~40c and fan is about 1900 RPM. when i run with LCD + external monitor mine jumps up to about 45c and 3500 rpm. i could be wrong but i think the fan is bios controlled.

@gromalle - pretty nice jump in speed ~2x... how much was the chip?

$105 with delivery from Kharkov to Kiev, Ukraine.

@tluck how is the cooling with that CPU? my processor (i7-2620M) has a TDP of 35W, whereas that processor (i7-2720QM) has a TDP of 45W. A quick check of google seems to indicate that others agree this would be a problem for changing the processor in the T420, so I'm curious to hear first-hand what you observed.

@Manwe150

The only thing noticeably after changing the processor is that the cpu fan runs on 15%-20% longer (before turning on lowest (minimal) rpm).

Feels like external (bottom, top, keyboard, etc) temperature has not changed. Everything works perfectly well and stably.

P.S. next step -- FullHD display :)

After complete 1-st stage of installation process and reboot Clover can't see any partitions except USB flash Drive with Installation. Help me please)))

Hey tluck,

I've updated to ElCapitan.

Almost everything went fine. Thanks again for you pack.

WWAN interface doesn't function any more. It  is not selectable in network preferences.

do you have an idea?

post-52582-0-42248100-1444247471_thumb.png

@verleihnix - sorry no clue on WWAN as i don't use it.

@XSmile2008

so you mean you installed OS X on the HD, and then after the installer completed. it rebooted but now you don't see the HD? 

- are you on most recent BIOS.

- is your BIOS set to AHCI

the USB clover config should find and list 2 partitions  - OS X and Recovery - to boot from the HD - if the installation completed to the end.

well i would boot up the installer and use the disk utility to explore.  so you should find this using Disk Utility via the installer tool.

Yes. After 1st stage and reboot clover don't see MacOSX partition. He see USB drive and nothing else. 

Like in the instruction I set defaults parameters in BIOS. And check AHCI mode parameter and Memory Security. BIOS is latest 1.46

UPDATE: So after 10+ tries it boot to 2nd stage, proceed to "7 minutes less" and reboot. Now I see black screen(((

UPDATE 2: Hard redoot and it see Partitions! It works!

Dear All !!!

I have a fresh new install of El Captain with everything working except sound !

I have already used the patch, that says that:

Apple HDA 14f1506e already patched 

I'm using last Clover Version: 2.3 3280 !!!!

Any advice ? Thanks 

@paolo - where is that message coming from? Clover should be patching the original AppleHDA.kext on the fly - meaning every time when you boot up. the model is 

that the custom kext in /L/E/AppleHDA_20672.kext is the actual one that is loaded. It has a symbolic link to /S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext. the kext in /S/L/E should be the standard one from OS X install unmodified etc. its binary file is patched by Clover.

did you try to manually run the AppleHDA scripts in the zip? is so that part is not needed. ALL the kexts in /S/L/E should be virgin/stock.

Hi All !!!

I have manage to new install of El Captain with everything working on T420 (4336-MBU), first time I use imesseger/facetime it works but after i reboot it. It doesn't work anymore, can someone help how to fix this issue. thanks!

Ulyjunk. Clover Injects generic ids and apple blocks these. Google jaymonkey imessage fix. Its about setting unique MLB and ROM variables.

Trying to get 1600x900 working on Clover boot screen but failed.

There is a utility to mess with Intel vbios at http://www.win-raid.com/t905f13-Guide-Transfer-of-specific-Intel-VBIOS-settings-by-using-Intels-BMP-tool.html

I dumped my vbios under windows and change the customized resolution, adding (proper?) DTD data.

Then I compared the new vbios with old one and use Clover's patchvbiosbytes to make the change. From the Clover log the patch is applied successfully but I got black screen on clover then garbled display during OSX boot but everything is OK after OS loaded..

Trying to get 1600x900 working on Clover boot screen but failed.

There is a utility to mess with Intel vbios at http://www.win-raid.com/t905f13-Guide-Transfer-of-specific-Intel-VBIOS-settings-by-using-Intels-BMP-tool.html

I dumped my vbios under windows and change the customized resolution, adding (proper?) DTD data.

Then I compared the new vbios with old one and use Clover's patchvbiosbytes to make the change. From the Clover log the patch is applied successfully but I got black screen on clover then garbled display during OSX boot but everything is OK after OS loaded..

using this DisplayVendorID-6af DisplayProductID-213e with config.1366x768.plist DualLink=0

and I'm using 1600*900 :)

if the display is not the same than the one i use, try to add

<key>scale-resolutions</key>

<array>
<data>
AAAGQAAAA4QAAAAB
</data>
<data>
AAAFVgAAAwAAAAAB
</data>
<data>
AAAFQAAAAvQAAAAB
</data>
<data>
AAAFAAAAAtAAAAAB
</data>
<data>
AAAEcAAAAoAAAAAB
</data>
<data>
AAAEAAAAAwAAAAAB
</data>
<data>
AAADIAAAAlgAAAAB
</data>
<data>
AAACgAAAAeAAAAAB
</data>
</array>

@Tetonne.  Thanks for the reply but there must be some misunderstanding here....

Anyway seems that there is some bug with Clover's PatchVBiosBytes(and LoadVBios is not working for me at all), even a dummy patch like "1234abcd" to "1234abcd" will cause corruption. Have opened a ticket at Clover.

@Manwe150

The only thing noticeably after changing the processor is that the cpu fan runs on 15%-20% longer (before turning on lowest (minimal) rpm).

Feels like external (bottom, top, keyboard, etc) temperature has not changed. Everything works perfectly well and stably.

P.S. next step -- FullHD display :)

The i7 and the full HD screen... Making this laptop immortal, huh? :V

I actually want to get the full HD screen myself, gotta get those pixels.

I also looked into the 2K (1440p) screen, but things are just too small on that one. I wonder if it's better to just stick with 1080p or to bother with OS X scaling.

Hi. I have some problems with my notebook. Randomly i see graphics artifacts like this gray line on youtube video. I can see artifact on other UI elements. And FAN RPM sensor sometimes not work. What I do wrong with installation? I complete all stages o instruction.

And what models of Wifi adapter is recommends to replace my Intel 6205?

Sorry for my bad english)))

post-828455-0-25156600-1444597789_thumb.pngpost-828455-0-27548000-1444597800_thumb.png

@All

Forgot to mention a new zip was posted today ... minor change from the last.

• Updated Clover to keep up to date.
  • Update IntelMausiEthernet kext to latest rev.
  • Added Fn+Home/End - thanks arix98 - alternate way to change screen brightness vs GUI or ScrLk/Pause

@XSmile2008

is your screen 1600x900 or 1366x768? my T420 with 1600x900 and 4GB of memory got some random artifacts lately. But the other one 1600x900 with 8GB, i have not seen a glitch in a long time. for the lower memory  laptop, I recompile the DSDT and included a built-in EDID. somehow that makes a difference. other threads mention to change slide=0 to slide=10 or 100. Tetonne reports that using the DSDT with the built-in EDID and display overrides allow his 1366x768 LCD to actually display at 1600x900! good stuff

The wifi adaptor is a mater of opinion. some like broadcom and some like atheros. there are plenty of posts with the pros and cons of each one and which ones are compatible. Personally, i went with a basic Atheros 9280 which is supported by OS X and readily available on eBay. if you replace your wifi in the box, you need to flash with modded bios.