Jump to content
K0gen

Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

4,646 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello :)

 

I have a ThinkPad T420s (i5, 6GB, 60GB SSD)

I'm stuck on "Intalling maOS"

I've followed everything up to where you plug the USB to the ThinkPad and boot up.

The apple logo displays just fine but just nearing completion, it totally blacks out and stays that way indefinitely.

 

BIOS settings do match, I'm on 1.46 (max it can go), and I've tried everything. No my USB is not 3.0. I'm trying to Install HS. I'm also using the files from August 13 on GitHub.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

I never tried macOS with a T420s.

Did you take care of the different DSDT.aml and possible additional differences?

You may only use tluck´s repo 1:1 with a T420 1600x900 LG display, different hardware will require different patches. ;)

Lets hope a T420s user drops by to help you along.

 

ACPI.png.644e36e15861d7b97fd2c431a5662a00.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 10:05 PM, Hzlph said:

Hello :)

 

I have a ThinkPad T420s (i5, 6GB, 60GB SSD)

I'm stuck on "Intalling maOS"

I've followed everything up to where you plug the USB to the ThinkPad and boot up.

The apple logo displays just fine but just nearing completion, it totally blacks out and stays that way indefinitely.

 

BIOS settings do match, I'm on 1.46 (max it can go), and I've tried everything. No my USB is not 3.0. I'm trying to Install HS. I'm also using the files from August 13 on GitHub.

 

hmm. seems like you have installed macOS. but now the gfx is not coming up. you can maybe try to inject gfx and override the type with say product 0x12345678 - you can do this in the clover options menu. this may get you up and running to see what is happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/26/2019 at 4:47 AM, goodguess said:

I never tried macOS with a T420s.

Did you take care of the different DSDT.aml and possible additional differences?

You may only use tluck´s repo 1:1 with a T420 1600x900 LG display, different hardware will require different patches. ;)

Lets hope a T420s user drops by to help you along.

 

ACPI.png.644e36e15861d7b97fd2c431a5662a00.png

 

Thank you so much :) It only seemed to be that the duallink option was set to "A" instead of "1". However, I haven't done anything else so I hope I don't run into much else. I'm planning on using mine for Logic Pro X as I currently need to work on Audio, and other programs like FL20 are just too insane for my liking.

 

 

I'm currently installing Sierra. Do you think I can upgrade to Mojave no issues?

 

Edit: After installing macOS, everything worked out of the box (sans Wifi obviously).

Edited by Hzlph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sierra may be best regarding backward compatibility.

On my side, e.g Creative Suite 5 stopped working flawlessly after Sierra. I don´t have Logic Pro X to try with Mojave but could look around.

As you got Sierra up and running, download Mojave Patcher and create a fresh boot stick with it.

Let the Patcher do its thing and add tluck´s Clover package to the EFI of that stick.

At last install Mojave to a different SSD - keep the Sierra instance as backup.

That way you should be able to see how you fare and choose Sierra or Mojave depending on your needs or wishes.

In general Mojave should work as good as Sierra with a T420.

 

Edit: Logic Pro seems to work for me with Mojave 10.14.6.

I did not download the samples needed from Apple, but the app window looks all right.

 

Logic.thumb.png.4d987538683ee6c969d5334fba136510.png

Edited by goodguess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

just updated to Mojave on T420 with i7, everything worked flawlessly. But now i have no sound!?

 

Any Idea why that would be?

 

Cheers and thanks for the hard work!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pcace said:

Hi,

 

just updated to Mojave on T420 with i7, everything worked flawlessly. But now i have no sound!?

 

Any Idea why that would be?

 

Cheers and thanks for the hard work!!!

 

Had the same problem, check the post linked below. For me solution was to run the kext install script from the zip.

If others don't need this, then I wonder what might be the reason.. I also have i7, I see you also, but I don't think the cpu would affect it, doesn't make sense.. is it maybe something related to the model number, or sthing different in our dsdt, or we do some install step differently? don't knwo.. what is your model number? you updated using dosdude's method?

 

 

Edited by davidian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, davidian said:

 

Had the same problem, check the post linked below. For me solution was to run the kext install script from the zip.

If others don't need this, then I wonder what might be the reason.. I also have i7, I see you also, but I don't think the cpu would affect it, doesn't make sense.. is it maybe something related to the model number, or sthing different in our dsdt? what is your model number?

  

 

 

Hey, interesting! 

 

i did run the command. As well as the other post-install scripts. But really nothing happened. Am i supposed to run the script directly from the downloaded and unpacked Package from Github?

 

Thanks and cheers!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pcace said:

 

Hey, interesting! 

 

i did run the command. As well as the other post-install scripts. But really nothing happened. Am i supposed to run the script directly from the downloaded and unpacked Package from Github?

 

Thanks and cheers!!

 

Hm, then maybe your issue is different than mine.

Back then I installed with tluck's guide, before the dosdude's method (which method did you use, you didn't say), and what I was referring to, is the Optional step in tluck's guide right before point 2.4 (if u search for '_kext-install' in the guide you'll find it)

 

Edited by davidian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pcace 

 

just make sure you have the most recent versions from github. I leave all the kexts in the EFI/ESP vs install/put on the OS Disk in /L/E

Edited by tluck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 9:22 PM, tluck said:

@pcace 

 

just make sure you have the most recent versions from github. I leave all the kexts in the EFI/ESP vs install/put on the OS Disk in /L/E

Hi,

 

this is what i did: 

- copied als the intel HD3000 kexts + wifi to my desktop

- downloaded the current version from github

- installed clover

- copied the whole EFI folder to my EFI partition

- rebooted

- installed update to mojave

- reboot

- ran all the helper scripts from Git hub download

- reboot

- everythink seems to work BUT: Sound and Display brightness

 

First problem to solve for me is the Sound problem. How and where can i check whats wrong? What do you guys need to help if you are willing ;) ?

Which kext has to do with sound? Maybe there is one still in SLE because of a previous installed version?

 

Cheers and thank you a lot!!

 

PS.: My EFI folder ist here: http://shrl.paddd.de/8d3

Edited by pcace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Hope someone can help me.


I have a T420 with the following specs:

Lenovo T420 i5-2520M, 2.5GHz
BIOS: 1.46 83ET76WW (whitelist removed)

8GB RAM
wifi card: Dell DW1510
Intel HD 3000
LCD display (TFT): 1366x768

I had a nicely working High Sierra install (10.13.5), with everything working as it should (incl. wifi - Dell DW1510, and the external monitor, etc.)
In short, I was quite happy with it.
However, I had to do an upgrade to 10.13.6 due to some apps which require this upgrade.

I upgraded right from booted system, from the DMG image, and the upgrade had some glitches - I had to manually rebot a stuck install, but then it caught up and finished OK.

In short, I upgraded from 10.13.5 to 10.13.6, but now I can't boot normally, except when I select safe mode in Clover.

- when I finally managed to boot (in safe mode), I also updated Clover to 5.5.0.0 (but I don't think that matters here...).

 

Attached is the screenshot of the verbose boot - this is where it gets stuck.
Also, my Clover boot options (with "-verbose" selected).

 

If I start it in safe mode, it starts and works seemingly OK (obviously, without being able to mount EFI partition in Clover...,
external monitor doesn't work, etc....)

 

So, is there anything I can do to make it boot normally? Also, - how? - since I can't mount EFI partition when in safe mode?

 

Although, this is a dual boot laptop, with Xubuntu installed, so I can use the installed Xubuntu install, or I could boot from a bootable (x)ubuntu install, whatever... I have basic Linux skills, so I guess that's an option....

 

Thanks in advance for any help!
Denis

 

stuck-boot-verbose.jpg

clover-boot-opt2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be you will just have to re-install the HD3000 kexts to S/L/E after the upgrade?

I do not have a HS instance to try atm, sorry.

 

Is it not possible to mount EFI via Terminal in safe mode?

Quote

 

IBMs-MBP:~ ibm$ diskutil list

(Confirm the exact partition you want to mount - disk0s1 in this example)

IBMs-MBP:~ ibm$ sudo mkdir /Volumes/efi

IBMs-MBP:~ ibm$ sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, goodguess said:

Is it not possible to mount EFI via Terminal in safe mode?

 

 

Unfortunately, this won't work.
When I try the above command, I get:
"/System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext failed to load - operation/kext not allowed at current boot level"

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Denis_HR said:

Hi all,

 

Hope someone can help me.


I have a T420 with the following specs:

Lenovo T420 i5-2520M, 2.5GHz
BIOS: 1.46 83ET76WW (whitelist removed)

8GB RAM
wifi card: Dell DW1510
Intel HD 3000
LCD display (TFT): 1366x768

I had a nicely working High Sierra install (10.13.5), with everything working as it should (incl. wifi - Dell DW1510, and the external monitor, etc.)
In short, I was quite happy with it.
However, I had to do an upgrade to 10.13.6 due to some apps which require this upgrade.

I upgraded right from booted system, from the DMG image, and the upgrade had some glitches - I had to manually rebot a stuck install, but then it caught up and finished OK.

In short, I upgraded from 10.13.5 to 10.13.6, but now I can't boot normally, except when I select safe mode in Clover.

- when I finally managed to boot (in safe mode), I also updated Clover to 5.5.0.0 (but I don't think that matters here...).

 

Attached is the screenshot of the verbose boot - this is where it gets stuck.
Also, my Clover boot options (with "-verbose" selected).

 

If I start it in safe mode, it starts and works seemingly OK (obviously, without being able to mount EFI partition in Clover...,
external monitor doesn't work, etc....)

 

So, is there anything I can do to make it boot normally? Also, - how? - since I can't mount EFI partition when in safe mode?

 

Although, this is a dual boot laptop, with Xubuntu installed, so I can use the installed Xubuntu install, or I could boot from a bootable (x)ubuntu install, whatever... I have basic Linux skills, so I guess that's an option....

 

Thanks in advance for any help!
Denis

 

 

 

I am thinking a problem with gfx? - requiring you to boot in safe mode? 

did you update any of the kexts before doing the update from 10.13.5 to 10.13.6?  this may help.

 

hmm you mentioned updating/installing clover? - but would require mounting EFI - which you cant do in safemode.

 

so i would try to disable gfx:

booting in regular mode 

but in clover menu before booting up go to options and gfx 

1) check on inject Intel GFX

2) and set FakeID to 0x12345678

 

if this works then you can update the kexts? 

 

 

@pcace - the method of replacing the HD3000 kexts is good for mojave 10.14-10.14.3,

after (meaning the recent mojove updates)  you need to use the dosdude method which allows the installer to change more stuff. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tluck said:

I am thinking a problem with gfx? - requiring you to boot in safe mode? 

did you update any of the kexts before doing the update from 10.13.5 to 10.13.6?  this may help.

 

No, I did not update anything beforehand, unfortunately.

 

 

Quote

hmm you mentioned updating/installing clover? - but would require mounting EFI - which you cant do in safemode.

 

 

When started in safe mode, I started Clover Configurator, which offered upgrade, so I upgraded it (from within Clover Configurator) - now it does say that it's ver. 5.5.0.0.

 

 

Quote

so i would try to disable gfx:

booting in regular mode 

but in clover menu before booting up go to options and gfx 

1) check on inject Intel GFX

2) and set FakeID to 0x12345678

 

if this works then you can update the kexts? 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, that did not change anything - same results, same error message when viewed in verbose boot...
This is the change I did (see attachment).

 

Hmmm, what's my other option? Reinstall everything from scratch, and prepare USB with 10.13.6?
Somehow I don't think that should be necessary (as it boots into safe mode just fine) - I just need to find which kext is responsible, possibly from initial (boot) Clover options, like you said...

 

GFX-mod.jpg

Edited by Denis_HR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Denis_HR do you have the kexts on the HD or in ESP? if they are on the HD. you can update the kexts on the HD right? you can update the ESP if you can boot into Recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tluck said:

@Denis_HR do you have the kexts on the HD or in ESP? if they are on the HD. you can update the kexts on the HD right? you can update the ESP if you can boot into Recovery.

Tluck, sorry for being dense, but I think I found some instructions on how to mount EFI partition in safe mode elsewhere, so I might try to do it....
Anyway, when (and if) I manage to do that, where do I find the updated kexts? And which of those should I replace (and where - on the EFI partition, under EFI/Clover/kexts ? - or under System/Library/Extensions ?)
So, I might start with the updated HD3000 kext(s) - where do I find those?
Again, sorry if I'm being dense  - that's because I am a noob (at least in using Clover and Hackintoshes in general...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Denis_HR

ok. but if you boot recovery then you have access to everything.

 

1) start by getting the latest zip from https://github.com/tluck/Lenovo-T420-Clover/archive/v2019.08.13.zip

 

I dont know if your problem is outdated clover and/or outdated kexts.  but i can run HighSierra 10.13.6 with the stuff in the zip

 

2) remove any custom kexts* from /Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions
 

3) then update/replace your ESP with the contents of the zip. save your old config.plist (and merge with latest if you have anything specific to you in there)  kind of like starting over fresh.

 

*custom kexts= kexts in the zip in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other (non-apple OS installed stuff)

 

for HighSierra there are no HD 3000 kexts to update or mess with.

Edited by tluck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi tluck,

 

I'm trying to create a custom EDID for my T420 1366x768 Laptop but I'm not sure how do it.

 

I've Sierra installed in this Laptop and my ioreg info show vendor 30e4 product 40a0:

 

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayPrefsKey


 

| |   | |         "IODisplayPrefsKey" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IGPU@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer@0/display0/AppleBacklightDisplay-30e4-40a0"

And the edid (without any EDID injection) is:

 

ioreg -l |grep EDID

 

 | |   | | |   "FeatureControl" = {"Watermarks"=1,"RenderStandby"=1,"GPUInterruptHandling"=1,"DPM"=1,"MaximumSelfRefreshLevel"=3,"Gamma"=1,"PowerStates"=1,"IgnorePanelTimings"=0,"UseInterruptFilter"=1,"SpreadON"=1,"CachedEDIDDisable"=0,"FastDisplayDetectDisable"=0,"FBC"=0,"SetRC6Voltage"=0}

    | |   | |         "IODisplayEDID" = <00ffffffffffff0030e4a0400000000000140103801f1178ea8e35935856902920505400000001010101010101010101010101010101121b5668500012302020350036ae10000019000000000000000000000000000000000000000000fe004c4720446973706c61790a2020000000fe004c503134305748322d544c4d32003b>

 

Can you guide me in order to create a custom DSDT, custom CLOVER config.plist EDID injection and custom Overrides for my T420 LCD panel?

 

Thank you very much.

 

David

Edited by Hard233

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I was trying to install Mojave 10.14.6 on my T420, but when I copy and repair permissions of the HD300 kexts, after reboo I get a black screen. Backlight is on. Is this an expected behaviour? I have last Clover package of August 2019.

Should I use the dosdude patched installer as I read before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By ErmaC
      Slice is glad to present a new EFI bootloader.

      CLOVER
      Now version 2 rEFIt based.


      It is open source based on different projects: Chameleon, rEFIt, XNU, VirtualBox. The main is EDK2 latest revision.
      I also want to thank all who help Slice with the development. Credits and copyrights remain in the sources.
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/?source=directory
      There is a WIKI 
      http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/
      Main features:


      If you have a question please provide outputs from DarwinDumper (formed from Trauma tool). Thanks Trauma!
      Continued by blackosx and STLVNUB.
      Post#2 CloverGrower - create Clover by yourself Post#3 Downloads Post#4 Installation of the bootloader Post#5 How to do UEFI boot Post#6 How to use - common words Post#7 Calculator for Automatic DSDT fix Post#8 Instructions for GraphicsInjector Post#9 ATIConnector patching Post#10 Any kexts patching with some Samples Post#11 CustomEDID Post#12 Hiding unnecessary menu entries Post#13 Instruction for DSDT corrections to do DeviceInjection works Post#14 Development Post#15 Themes Post#16 About kexts injection Post#17 Instructions for P- and C-states generator Post#18 Patching DSDT to get Sleep working Post#19 CPU settings and geekbench Post#20 ACPI tables loading Post#21 DSDTmini Post#22 Custom SMBios Post#23 F.A.Q. Post#24 iCloudFix Post#25 Using mouse. Post#26 How to make orange icons to be metallic Post#27 How to make software RAID (by Magnifico) Post#28 How to modify InstallESD.dmg (by shiecldk) Post#29 Config.plist settings Post#30 Using extra kexts and skipping kernelcache Post#31 Choosing EFI drivers Post#32 Configuration files Post#33 Automatic config.plist creating Post#34 Custom DSDT patches Post#35 How to do sleep/wake working with UEFI BOOT Post#36 DeviceID substitution (FakeID) Post#37 Using Custom OS Icons Post#38 Hibernation Post#39 Floating regions Post#41 Property List Editor Post#42 Blocking Bad Kext Post#43 AAPL,slot-name Post#44 FakeCPUID for unsupported CPU Post#45 Multiple Boot Options - to write into UEFI BIOS boot menu Post#46 How to install Windows UEFI Post#47 How to speedup Clover boot Post#48 Info.plist patching Post#49 Arbitrary device injection Post#50 Non-Standard Legacy Boot Files Post#51 Reboot to Windows UEFI from Mac OSX Post#52 Deprecated Features Post#53 Using UDK2018 Post#54 Device Properties Post#55 Scalable themes Post#56 How to search Clover mistakes (bisection) -----------------
       
      Slice:
      I edited all posts in the thread to correspond to actual Clover revision.
      Please install Clover at least 2652 and use new instructions.
×