K0gen

Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

4,729 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, jackluke said:

Not only, it allows to keep Dock and Notification Center transparencies fixing only the "grey" finder menus in "light mode", while using that from the Accessibility prefpane "Reduce Transparency" everything become without any transparency.

oh i see. if you do not logout then you have certain items "reduced" - got it! thanks for making that point.

8 hours ago, myeyre said:

Found another two problems:

1) When Mojave boot, it crashes and reboot, when it starts, Problem Report reads:

*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff80084d87bd): Kernel trap at 0xffffff8008a06870, type 14=page fault, registers:

i too get random KPs on boot. but the offending last loaded kext changes. so not sure what to make of it. 

Advertisement
10 hours ago, tluck said:

@Fibroga - if you have /ESP/EFI/Microsoft - then move that out of the way for the installation.

No sorry, i mean when i try to put High Sierra to the usb from a real mac, damn..ahah

2 hours ago, tluck said:

@Fibroga well ok more info. How is the usb formatted? Did you follow my recipe?

Well I have formatted, but I can't partition the usb, it's very strange.

Hei. I can't run system with latest Lenovo-T420-Clover-2018.09.29, does not support 1366x768.

Can you tell me which Clover supports 1366x768 resolution?

after boot-up i have black screen :(

also AR5BHB92 does not work (can not find any network)

use to work on some old clover

any suggestion which clover should i use?

edit:latest High Sierra

Edited by Dabman1988

@Dabman1988 - not sure whats up with your issue. I just  posted a newer zip with latest Clover and kext updates. Could be a fix for your situation?  otherwise the older releases still work for High Sierra right?

56 minutes ago, tluck said:

@Dabman1988 - not sure whats up with your issue. I just  posted a newer zip with latest Clover and kext updates. Could be a fix for your situation?  otherwise the older releases still work for High Sierra right?

1366x768 is not supportet above Lenovo-T420-Clover-2018.09.29 (EFI/CLOVER/*.plist).

btw: I do not know also why from time to time i have stripes on screen. Windows works fine, OS X won't

@tluck - I have one problem with using the newer zip(20180929 or 20181011). The battery cannot show on screen bar and the battery capacity is 0. How can I fix it? OSX is 10.12.6 not 10.13 or 10.14

Edited by jenyunhuang

@jenyunhuang I do not know exactly what is going on ... but maybe the battery manager kext is not loading?  i have not tested the latest packs on Sierra. But in your case, maybe you should just stay with the older kexts from previous releases?

4 hours ago, Dabman1988 said:

1366x768 is not supportet above Lenovo-T420-Clover-2018.09.29 (EFI/CLOVER/*.plist).

btw: I do not know also why from time to time i have stripes on screen. Windows works fine, OS X won't

i don't understand what you mean by saying 1366x768 is not supported? the default config.plist should work just fine. the only difference between 1600x900 and 1366x768 is DualLink and Clover figures that out automatically now. 

22 minutes ago, tluck said:

@jenyunhuang I do not know exactly what is going on ... but maybe the battery manager kext is not loading?  i have not tested the latest packs on Sierra. But in your case, maybe you should just stay with the older kexts from previous releases?

OK, thanks

8 hours ago, Dabman1988 said:

For me, 1366x768 seems to be the default resolutions of mojave.plist, which I edit to enable 1600x900

On 10/12/2018 at 2:03 AM, bedfellow said:

For me, 1366x768 seems to be the default resolutions of mojave.plist, which I edit to enable 1600x900

Hi Bedfellow,

I am having the same issue, after I started using the mojave plist. I see a blank screen after boot up, but I can see the HDD light flickering. I am still on High Sierra. Can you tell me how you change the default screen resolution to 1600X900  ?

I am using T420 (4177CTO)  I5 Sandybridge HD 3000 with 16GB RAM 1600x900 screen

34 minutes ago, snike said:

Hi Bedfellow,

I am having the same issue, after I started using the mojave plist. I see a blank screen after boot up, but I can see the HDD light flickering. I am still on High Sierra. Can you tell me how you change the default screen resolution to 1600X900  ?

18 hours ago, snike said:

Hi Bedfellow,

My screen is also 1600*900 and I use release 2018.10.12. I add this to config.mojave.plist in devices/properties:

<key>AAPL00,DualLink</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==

</data>

image.png.4030b24a25db4879ee7e3cf169054a2c.png

Edited by tonyyang123

Sorry - Somehow i lost that item in config.mojave.plist from the latest release. i will add it back for a 1600x900 version. 

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>

<dict>
                <key>#AAPL00,DualLink</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
            </data>

---

I just updated the github release for Mojave config.plist files.

Notes: i have been experimenting with 2 things to find more stable system

VirtualSMC vs FakeSMC - uncertain that this has any effect - but it works - just get less sensors. 

and removing slide value - seems to be a little better? 

Edited by tluck

I'm coming back to my Lenovo T420 after a LONG time away from this thread. Based on the kext packages from TLuck, am I right in my assumption that Mojave can be installed on the T420 based on the .plists as well? Or and I wrong in that assumption? Any issues with compatibility? I know support for Intel GMA3000 has been dropped from being supported in Mojave, what is the work around? 

@roto31 

yes. for me mojave is running as good as high sierra - meaning there are the same glitches but there is not metal support so the light mode is not as good. you can read about the workarounds for HD3000 support in plenty of places. i explain it briefly in the guide. you will need to save a few files before you do the upgrade. 

Not sure what I did wrong, but my T420 is stuck at 900x600 resolution. I've tried to boot with all of the Mojave compatible .plist files. I have not been able to get the Intel GMA300 .kexts to install? What is the proper way to install the .kext files to S/L/E ? Tried copying them directly - then running the permission fix. Used kext beast from tonymac.x86 and that worked to install the kexts, but I do not have acceleration. 

5 hours ago, roto31 said:

I'm coming back to my Lenovo T420 after a LONG time away from this thread. Based on the kext packages from TLuck, am I right in my assumption that Mojave can be installed on the T420 based on the .plists as well? Or and I wrong in that assumption? Any issues with compatibility? I know support for Intel GMA3000 has been dropped from being supported in Mojave, what is the work around? 

Maybe this is just my experience, but I find Mojave more laggy than High Sierra, which I have now reverted back to. Not a big issue for me, as High Sierra has all the features I need.

After the resolution and acceleration frustration with Mojave I wiped the drive and installed High Sierra. During the install it had four separate spaces looking like 4 separate monitors. I figured it was a fluke and thought it might go to normal at first boot. The issue persisted. I’ve tried the default config.plist as well the the other 3 included .plists for High Sierra. Could it be something to do with the dual link display settings? 

*Update*
I reverted to the EFI Folder that was from 10.08.2018 which was linked form the McDonnell Tech guide. I now have normal resolution no "multi-display" issue on the screen and things to be working fine. As much as I would love to have Mojave on this machine I think I'll stay with High Sierra. It'll get security and application updates for the next few years for sure. It's not a primary machine and more or less one to experiment with.

In my number of actual Macs and Hackintoshesin my house it's #8. It's something I tinker with to keep my skills with OS X fresh and up to date. Working with and building Hackintoshes (especially laptops) have helped keep my skills on the inner workings of OS X up to date. 

Great job at being able to keep the T420/X220 series up to date with the macOS. It definitely helped those who cannot afford a Mac be able to have a "Mac", if you are willing to do some tinkering and some experimentation. 

Edited by roto31

Right now I have El Capitan on T420.

If I want to try out Mojave on a separate partition, I should save the HD3000 kexts from ElCap, or first install HighSierra, save those kexts from HS, and then install Mojave?

Thanks

1 hour ago, davidian said:

Right now I have El Capitan on T420.

If I want to try out Mojave on a separate partition, I should save the HD3000 kexts from ElCap, or first install HighSierra, save those kexts from HS, and then install Mojave?

Thanks

You might need the Wi-Fi driver too, depending on your card and whether you use it. Personally, I would move to High Sierra rather than Mojave

Edited by bedfellow