Jump to content
K0gen

Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

5,059 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I had tried copying over High Sierra IO80211Family.kext, but that didn't work, even after several reboots, so thought I would give an external USB wifi dongle a try whilst trying to work out how to get the internal card working.

 

The USB dongle didn't work so I went searching for drivers for that and discovered https://github.com/chris1111/WIFI-Network-macOS-High-Sierra, which I installed. On reboot I had wifi, so assumed it was the dongle, but surprisingly it is actually the built in wifi card. Not sure if it's c combination of both the kext and driver, or whether just the driver.

 

Next problem is that sleep does not work from either the menu nor shutting the lid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

The first post tells you 

Quote

...add the AirPortAtheros40.kext to IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins...

 

So copy the AirPortAtheros40.kext from the HighSierra IO80211Family.kext to the Mojave IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins and run the Kext Utility to repair permissions and update the caches.

 

Will work at the moment, nobody knows if this will work with the official release of Mojave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2018 at 10:12 AM, bedfellow said:

I had tried copying over High Sierra IO80211Family.kext, but that didn't work, even after several reboots, so thought I would give an external USB wifi dongle a try whilst trying to work out how to get the internal card working.

 

The USB dongle didn't work so I went searching for drivers for that and discovered https://github.com/chris1111/WIFI-Network-macOS-High-Sierra, which I installed. On reboot I had wifi, so assumed it was the dongle, but surprisingly it is actually the built in wifi card. Not sure if it's c combination of both the kext and driver, or whether just the driver.

 

Next problem is that sleep does not work from either the menu nor shutting the lid.


Wow. Cool. 
I am downloading the driver you have shared and tried if it works to my USB Dongle.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure this is mentioned before... these are the Apple kexts preserved (copied) from High Sierra to enable Mojave on the T420.  I put them all in /S/L/E. 

Note: the AirportAtheros40.kext does not need to be under the IO80211Family.kext directory. This is found in a subdirectory for HighSierra.

 

tluck@Toms-Mac /System/Library/Extensions

$ ls -ld *3000* *SNB* *Ath*

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  96 Mar  5  2018 AirPortAtheros40.kext

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  96 Mar  9  2018 AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  96 Mar  9  2018 AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  96 Mar  9  2018 AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  96 Mar  9  2018 AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  96 Mar  9  2018 AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  96 Mar  9  2018 AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

 

@bedfellow - i presume the kext/driver bundle from chris1111 is making your USB wifi work - not the built-in Intel WiFi.

Edited by tluck
Updates for Mojave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tluck, my in-built wifi does not work on Mojave but is ok in High Sierra. Installing the driver bundle from chris1111 made the in-build wifi work in Mojave!

 

According to system report in High Sierra, my wifi card is:

Atheros 9280: 4.0.74.0-P2P

 

I have since removed Mojave and reinstalled High Sierra. Again my wifi works in High Sierra with no further drivers/kexts required. Mojave also has an issue with power management on my T420, where the laptop will not sleep when either shutting the lid or from the menu.

Edited by bedfellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bedfellow - so i take it you replaced the typical Intel WiFi chip with the Atheros chip? what model Lenovo do you have? maybe add that info to your signature?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tluck, I'll look at updating my signature. Meantime, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T420 (4238AC6) and read that the standard built-in wifi card was not compatible so changed it to a Dell card (DW1510, I think?), having obtained a whitelist removed BIOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I managed to install Mojave on my T420s with Intel HD3000 (1024 VRAM), but the colours of the menu bar and menus are not OK. See images attached.

 

Anyone knows how to fix this?

 

Thanks!

Screenshot 2018-09-22 at 06.51.16.png

Screenshot 2018-09-22 at 06.53.47.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, freddie said:

Hi, I managed to install Mojave on my T420s with Intel HD3000 (1024 VRAM), but the colours of the menu bar and menus are not OK. See images attached.

 

Anyone knows how to fix this?

 

Thanks!

Screenshot 2018-09-22 at 06.51.16.png

Screenshot 2018-09-22 at 06.53.47.png

 

@Fridde: Different than previous MacOS which run smooth in machines that have non-metal supported graphics cards. MacOS Mojave have more requirements that only machines have Metal supported can able to run smooth. So that when we use HD3000* Kexts and Plugin that from High Sierra, these uncomfortable things are what we have to deal.

Here few things you can try: 
If you want your machine run "well" in Mojave. Turn on Dark Mode features, everything will turn into dark. 

If you want your machine looks "perfect" in Bright mode, 
You can try to put HD3000* Kexts and Plugin into L/E than S/L/E. There will little bit delay or slow down but the menu Bar colors will bright.

 

I hope it help, because I have tried both then I have decided just leave these kexts and Plugin in L/E.

 

Howard,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, maihoward1985 said:

 

@Fridde: Different than previous MacOS which run smooth in machines that have non-metal supported graphics cards. MacOS Mojave have more requirements that only machines have Metal supported can able to run smooth. So that when we use HD3000* Kexts and Plugin that from High Sierra, these uncomfortable things are what we have to deal.

Here few things you can try: 
If you want your machine run "well" in Mojave. Turn on Dark Mode features, everything will turn into dark. 

If you want your machine looks "perfect" in Bright mode, 
You can try to put HD3000* Kexts and Plugin into L/E than S/L/E. There will little bit delay or slow down but the menu Bar colors will bright.

 

I hope it help, because I have tried both then I have decided just leave these kexts and Plugin in L/E.

 

Howard,

 

 

 

Thanks! I will give it a try... what if I but it in both L/E and S/L/E?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, maihoward1985 said:

 

@Fridde: Different than previous MacOS which run smooth in machines that have non-metal supported graphics cards. MacOS Mojave have more requirements that only machines have Metal supported can able to run smooth. So that when we use HD3000* Kexts and Plugin that from High Sierra, these uncomfortable things are what we have to deal.

Here few things you can try: 
If you want your machine run "well" in Mojave. Turn on Dark Mode features, everything will turn into dark. 

If you want your machine looks "perfect" in Bright mode, 
You can try to put HD3000* Kexts and Plugin into L/E than S/L/E. There will little bit delay or slow down but the menu Bar colors will bright.

 

I hope it help, because I have tried both then I have decided just leave these kexts and Plugin in L/E.

 

Howard,

 

 

 

This way it works fine, but my VRAM is 5MB... this makes everything impossible to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't find the experience with Mojave to be very smooth. For me, the inbuilt wifi wouldn't work without additional kext/drivers, the system wouldn't sleep and everything just felt a bit sluggish.Maybe things will get smoother in the future, but for now I have reverted to High Sierra, which runs buttery smooth on my T420.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bedfellow said:

I didn't find the experience with Mojave to be very smooth. For me, the inbuilt wifi wouldn't work without additional kext/drivers, the system wouldn't sleep and everything just felt a bit sluggish.Maybe things will get smoother in the future, but for now I have reverted to High Sierra, which runs buttery smooth on my T420.

 

I also had High Sierra, but I had occasionally glitches on the graphics; some lines appear randomly... Now I switched back to Sierra, which is very stable. Everything works fine...

 

Do you have these types of glitcheS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, freddie said:

 

Thanks! I will give it a try... what if I but it in both L/E and S/L/E?

 

Fredde: I have no idea. You can try to put them in both locations but I think the screen will still the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, freddie said:

 

I also had High Sierra, but I had occasionally glitches on the graphics; some lines appear randomly... Now I switched back to Sierra, which is very stable. Everything works fine...

 

Do you have these types of glitcheS?

 

I used to get lots but using the mojave.plist on High Sierra has reduced these significantly (it required a tweak to get 1600 x 900, as for some reason this was not the default). Now I only get the rare single line glitch whilst watching YouTube videos. I would say that on High Sierra, the hackintosh experience is very satisfactory for me. I wonder is Mojave is pushing the hardware a little too far though, especially with Apple dropping HD3000 support, I guess time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not bad for a 7 year old box...

macOS 10.9, 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12 (Sierra) all worked fantastic.

But with 10.13 High Sierra - generally worked fine - but some glitches started showing up on systems with less than 16GB and some LCDs

Mojave for me seems to work about as good as as High Sierra overall - except with some trade-off in light mode color. so i often switch to dark mode.

 

if you put the HD3000 kexts in /L/E, I don't believe you will get full acceleration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tluck said:

Not bad for a 7 year old box...

macOS 10.9, 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12 (Sierra) all worked fantastic.

But with 10.13 High Sierra - generally worked fine - but some glitches started showing up on systems with less than 16GB and some LCDs

Mojave for me seems to work about as good as as High Sierra overall - except with some trade-off in light mode color. so i often switch to dark mode.

 

if you put the HD3000 kexts in /L/E, I don't believe you will get full acceleration. 

 

I certainly have no complaints and really appreciate the continued work you have put into this. I'm more than happy with High Sierra with the mojave.plist and an upgrade to 16GB. I may attempt an upgrade to Mojave again a few months after full release, when everything will likely have settled down.

 

@tluck, what would you consider a good hackintosh successor to the T420?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tluck said:

Not bad for a 7 year old box...

macOS 10.9, 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12 (Sierra) all worked fantastic.

But with 10.13 High Sierra - generally worked fine - but some glitches started showing up on systems with less than 16GB and some LCDs

Mojave for me seems to work about as good as as High Sierra overall - except with some trade-off in light mode color. so i often switch to dark mode.

 

if you put the HD3000 kexts in /L/E, I don't believe you will get full acceleration. 

 

I have 8GB of RAM and I only get a flawless experience with Sierra... 0 glitches. You don't have any glitches with High Sierra/Mojave with 16GB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freddie said:

 

I have 8GB of RAM and I only get a flawless experience with Sierra... 0 glitches. You don't have any glitches with High Sierra/Mojave with 16GB?

 

It's not flawless, but almost. I use Google Chrome for watching YouTube Video and I very rarely get a white line across the video. Quitting and restarting the browser clears it. If you are happy with Sierra and it does all you need it to do, then I see little point in changing. In my circumstances, I came to Hackintosh when High Sierra was the release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my son's T420 has 16GB with LGD LCD replacement and  it works great. I took his 8GB with AUO LCD and i get occasional freeze and glitches.

In terms of next laptop options -- there are lots of other hackintosh-able laptops. i am familiar with Lenovo because it was my former company standard so tended towards these. I was really happy with my T460 (which may be great option again when it gets a little cheaper). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heyhey, 

 

i have a question about the fan control: i am using a t420 with  an i7 2630 and was a litte disappointed with the heat problem running OSX. 

I never ran Windows on that machine until now. And now i realize that the fan can do MUCH more thant 4500rpm. On Windows it goes up to 6500rpm! 

 

What can i do to get this kind of cooling??? 

 

On OSX it usually runs at around 100 Celsius, when on full load. On Windows it does around 80....

 

Any help would just be great!!!

Thank you so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, pcace said:

Heyhey, 

 

i have a question about the fan control: i am using a t420 with  an i7 2630 and was a litte disappointed with the heat problem running OSX. 

I never ran Windows on that machine until now. And now i realize that the fan can do MUCH more thant 4500rpm. On Windows it goes up to 6500rpm! 

 

What can i do to get this kind of cooling??? 

 

On OSX it usually runs at around 100 Celsius, when on full load. On Windows it does around 80....

 

Any help would just be great!!!

Thank you so much

 

My fans are quiet on Sierra with my T420s i7-2620@2.7GHz. Maybe dust on the fans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By STLVNUB
      Script file to clone and help build Clover, Opencore (official and unofficial) repos
      Script will create link to itself in /usr/local/bin/bob
      Wouldn't hurt to check there are no "Bob"'s there, i "Hope" there isn't.
       
      Then you only need to type bob. and a parameter
      "n" for NDK repo, unofficial
      "a" for ACID repo, official
      "c" for CLOVER
      It also takes "all" for ALL, if your game
      Currently NDK Repo has problems so "all" and "n" DON'T WORK
       
      Easier typing bob than.....usual stuff
      Enjoy
       
    • By Kaisar870
      How to Add APPLE RTC PATCH 
      Could you please explain how to add Apple RTC patch in open core Plist? TIA
    • By cvad
      View File Bootdisk Utility
      Make bootable USB Flash Disk for MAC OS X with Latest Clover bootloader revision fast and easy by one click! under OS Windows.
      Special utility from cvad & russian MAC community for new hackintosh users.
       
      Enjoy...
       
      For more information and complete instructions please see this topic.
       
      Anyone who likes the program, please support its Community Score.
       
       
      Feel free to "Rate File"
      Submitter cvad Submitted 04/28/2013 Category Bootloaders  
    • By cvad
      Make bootable USB Flash Disk for MAC OS X with Latest Clover bootloader revision fast and easy by one click! under OS Windows.
      Special utility from cvad & russian MAC community for new hackintosh users.
       
      Enjoy...
       
      For more information and complete instructions please see this topic.
       
      Anyone who likes the program, please support its Community Score.
       
       
      Feel free to "Rate File"
×