Budget Workstation MacOS 10.14.1 build: z370 AORUS Gaming 5 - i5-8600K - RX 580 - UHD 630
flawless iGPU/dGPU integration, fast FCPX editing/rendering, great overall performance for ~$1200 / ~£1000
Update: updated WhateverGreen and Lilu, then updated OS to 10.14.3 and everything is fine! Even iMessage, which previously I hadn't been able to make work, is now working - possibly the update flushed the NVRAM?
I'm gonna come straight out and admit it - I used newb tools which are considered taboo on InsanelyMac, and so this isn't so much an installation guide as it is a green flag to anyone considering the same hardware. My first and previous Hackintosh project was just over ten years ago and this site was massively helpful, so this is my (very small) way of giving back.
CPU: Intel i5-8600K 3.6GHz hexacore (contains UHD 630 iGPU)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim (no paste needed, and fan facing front)
Mobo: GIGABYTE z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (WIFI)
RAM: 1x 8GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX C16 2666MHz (in first slot)
GFX Card: Sapphire RX 580 NITRO+ SE
SATA: used ports 0, 1, 3, 5 (HDD problems when connected to port 4)
DVD Drive: generic
PSU: EVGA 500W Semi Modular (but you should get 650W!)
Case: CoolerMaster CM590 III
Fans: 2x stock case fans (one sucky on front, one blowy on back), 3x be quiet! BL046 120mm fans (two blowy on top, one sucky on front). Airflow near-perfectly balanced.
With the Clover configuration, you want to pay close attention to all things relating to graphics. There are some specific settings for ACPI, Boot, Devices and Graphics which should be copied exactly in order to get the iGPU and dGPU to work in perfect harmony. For instance, make sure you use ig-platform-id 59120003 rather than 59120000 if you want FCPX to be usable. With the right settings, FCPX will not only run, but run flawlessly.
I was not able to figure out how to make NVRAM/PRAM behave itself, and I got errors when I tried to issue relevant commands. As a result, I could not at first get iMessage to work properly. It worked once on my first installation attempt but not from subsequent attempts. This Clover configuration therefore has no consideration whatsoever toward iMessage reliability - however, iMessage ended up working somehow, anyway - I noticed it after I'd updated to 10.14.3 but this may just have been coincidence.
Onboard WiFi does not work. There is no driver for it. I'm using wired ethernet to a bridge router as it was cheaper than getting a compatible PCI card.
Audio is working well after I installed the z370 audio patch, then the ALC1220 codecs, then AppleALC.
With kexts for generic 3rd party SATA and generic 3rd party eSATA, my HDDs and DVD drive work perfectly well.
Sleep/Wake functions run perfectly. iCloud functions run perfectly. Shutdown leaves the mobo LEDs on, annoyingly.
My USB 3 ports seem to suffer from low power output, and I don't know why.
Overall, this system appears to run about as well under MacOS 10.14 Mojave as it does under Windows 7. I would solidly recommend this build to anyone looking to build a computer for workstation purposes, on a budget.
Good morning, everyone, I'm sorry if I was wrong in choosing the topic but I need help.
I have found it extremely difficult to mount a Hackintosh in my acer.
I5 2430m 2.4 6GB RAM
Mobo P5we0 - Intel intel Graphics 3000
At the moment I have not found out what my audio codecs are.
but I'll leave the link on the motherboard.
however, my real problem is several.
I have already used the itakos image, I have already used several images that could be installed normally and that after installing the image I do not have internet via cable or wireless.
And another, I already looked in other forums and I know that I will be called a donkey in the logical question but I have not been able to install the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or clover to start from the Hard Disk, so I do not know what to do.At the moment I still do not know if there has already been someone who has already installed the High Sierra or just the Sierra in this notebook model and obtained permanent success.
If anyone can help me, I'll be grateful.
Installations without success, but with the system already installed in ACER;
All with the same symptom. Starting only by the bootable USB stick and without internet connection via cable and wireless.
Appreciate ! Acer 5750 Official Page
Since rev 4844 Vector Themes are supported and there are ready-to-use Clovy by Clovy, cesium by Slice and BGM_SVG by Blackosx.
You may see it's structure to create own theme
Now I want to add vector graphics support in Clover. See rev 4560 and later.
It is not working yet but designers may begin to create Vector Themes.
It supposed to consist of SVG elements and has design size. It will be rendered to any screen size scaled from design size.
What application in macOS can create SVG graphics?
Inkscape is not working in macOS 10.11+. Pity.
LibreOffice Draw works with SVG but buggy.
Boxy SVG cost 10$ but looks good enough. It creates the best in simplicity files and have more then enough features.
Illustrator is good but expensive.
How to improve SVG file?
Clover has restricted support for SVG. It is your job to make compatible file and as small as possible to speedup rendering.
Help:Inkscape – From invalid to valid SVG Inkscape files
From invalid to valid SVG Adobe Illustrator files
From invalid to valid SVG files of other editors: BKchem, ChemDraw and CorelDRAW
Help:Illustrator – Assistance with creating and saving SVG images in Adobe Illustrator that will pass W3C validation
User:Quibik/Cleaning up SVG files manually
Later I will write own instructions specific to Clover abilities.
How to create SVG fonts?
You can google to find ready-to-use SVG fonts. I found some problems with too beaty fonts: slow rendering and overflow crash. Be careful.
You can get ttf or otf fonts and convert them into svg by using online WEB services. Not a problem to google.
But then I want to find a way to simplify the font to reduce a size and speedup rendering.
You can create own font by FontForge It is opensource and available for Windows, Mac and GNU+Linux. It creates otf font which you can convert to svg font.
Pictures from Badruzeus
Installing macOS Mojave on Lenovo ThinkPad L440
There are two version of this laptop:
- 20AS = Chipset QM87, without Express Card (mine).
- 20AT = Chipset HM86, with Express Card.
I strong believe is the same thing...
02/05/2019 18:47h GMT-0
- Updated info about CPU replacement and 4G LTE modem.
02/04/2019 15:24h GMT-0
- Sometimes the VoodooHDA.kext doesn't work.
- Added AppleHDADisabler.kext to fix that (attached bellow).
01/24/2019 14:42h GMT-0
- Added more adjustments to use of VoodooHDA.
- Updated VoodooHDA links to 2.9.1 official (without installer).
- Changed PCM volume from 90 to 180 in Info.plist (attached modified VoodooHDA.kext bellow)
- Updated SSDT-L440.aml (Removed HDEF and HDAU, not needed).
- Updated config.plist (Changed to user Audio layout to 1).
01/22/2019 20:47h GMT-0
- I gave up on the AppleALC.
- Headset does not work.
- Now with VoodooHDA is perfect and the sound even louder.
01/22/2019 14:37h GMT-0
- Add info about update 10.14.3.
01/22/2019 13:46h GMT-0
- Add link to BIOS reassing guide.
01/20/2019 11:49h GMT-0
- First version.
What works and what does not
- Processor: Intel Core i5-4300M -> Work. All SpeedStep stages.
- Video Card: Intel HD4600 -> Work. QE/CI and Metal.
- Chipset: Intel QM87 -> Work.
- Mini DisplayPort -> Work. But no audio, yet.
- VGA -> Not work. Normal.
- Audio: ALC292 -> Work.
- WiFi/Bluetooth: Intel AC 7260 -> Not work. Replaced with DW1560 (need whitelist removal).
- Ethernet: Intel I217-LM -> Work.
- Card Reader: Realtek RTS5227 -> Not work.
- Keyboard and Touchpad -> Work.
- Webcam -> Work.
- Fingerprint Reader -> Not work. Normal.
- USB3.0 -> Work.
- Sleep -> Work.
- Airdrop, Handoff, Instant Hotspot and Continuity -> Work after replaced wireless.
- FullHD 1920x1080 display upgrade:
Replaced with AU Optronics B140HAN01.1 30pin eDP (B140HAN01.2 and B140HAN01.3 also compatible)
Apparently same screen as Dell Latitude E6440, E7440, Lenovo Ideapad U430 and E129.
- Make DP audio work.
- Make Card Reader work.
- Upgrade CPU to i7-4712MQ (Ordered. It's on the way) Done, but received i7-4700MQ (47w TDP and I have overheating issues)
- Replace touchpad with T460 model (Ordered. It's on the way)
- Sierra Gobi5000 4G LTE modem EM7355 (Ordered. It's on the way. I hope works. ) Done, but not work. Do not even recognize in LSPCI...
- Upgrade to 16GB RAM Done
What you need to install
- Running install of macOS
- One USB flash drive of 8GB or bigger
- macOS Mojave install app
- Clover EFI
- Clover Configurator
- Some KEXTs and SSDT patches
How create create the install flash drive
Prepare install flash drive
Format the flash drive with GUID partition mapping and name it "Install".
- Open Disk Utility.
- Click in View, then "Show All Devices".
- Select the destination flash drive, then Erase.
- Name: Install, Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Scheme: GUID Partition Map
Create install flash drive
Open terminal and run this command:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ .app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install --nointeraction This will take about 30 minutes.
Download the RehabMan's CloverEFI fork (used 4701) and install with this options on "Install macOS Mojave":
- Install for UEFI booting only
- Install Clover in the ESP
- UEFI Drivers - ApfsDriverLoader-64
- UEFI Drivers - AptioMemoryFix64
Make things works
Will be created a partition named EFI and mounted in Desktop.
- Replace the /Volumes/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist with mine attached below
If you have modded BIOS with Advanced Menu and enabled 128MB DRAM-prealloc use 128MB_DRAM-prealloc_config.plist.zip
If no, then use 32MB_DRAM-prealloc_config.plist.zip
- Put SSDT-L440.aml attached below in /Volumes/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
Generate your Serial, MLB and SmUUID
- Open the replaced config.plist with Clover Configurator (used 126.96.36.199)
- Go to SMBIOS, click few times in "Generate New" in Serial Number and SmUUID.
Download those Kexts and put in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
- Download the FakeSMC.kext from here. I used the version 2018-0915.
- Download the VoodooPS2Controller.kext from here. I used version 2018-1008.
- Download the IntelMausiEthernet.kext from here. I used the version 2018-1031.
- Download the Lilu.kext from here. I used the version 1.3.1.
- Download the AppleALC.kext from here. I used the version 1.3.4.
- Download the VoodooHDA from here. I used the version 2.9.1.
- Download the WhateverGreen.kext from here. I used the version 1.2.6.
- Download the AppleBacklightFixup.kext from here. I used the version 2018-1013.
- Download the USBInjectAll.kext from here. I used the version 2018-1108.
- Download the ACPIBatteryManager.kext from here. I used the version 2018-1005.
Wifi and Bluetooth (DW1560 / BCM94352Z)
Unfortunately, some notebook manufacturers are currently blocking the replacement of wireless cards. They want you to only use the models sold by them. And of course, none of them from Lenovo for this notebook model is compatible with MacOS.
If you try to start with an unauthorized wifi card for them, you will receive a screen error:
1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the network card. Since this check is done directly in the BIOS, the only solution is to modify it.
But since nothing is easy in this life, there is one small big problem:
- The BIOS update procedure does not allow you to use modded files as it used to be.
- You will need to physically reach your BIOS on the motherboard and make use of a USB BIOS reader/writer.
So what you need to do:
1. Disassembly your laptop;
2. Dump your BIOS with an USB BIOS reader with SOIC8 clip (to not desolder from the motherboard);
3. Patch it (In addition to removing the whitelist, add the advanced menu);
4. Fix RSA signature;
5. Reflash BIOS;
6. Replace wireless card;
7. Remount your laptop;
Soon, I'll provide step by step in this process. Probably until end of this week.
In the meantime, if you need to, send me your dump that I do steps 3 and 4 for you.
I also add the Advanced Menu so you can increase to 128MB the DRAM-prealloc.
To fix a Modded BIOS to remove the 5 beeps on boot, you need this guide: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/337333-guide-fix-insyde-h2o-bios-signature-5-beeps-on-lenovo (traduzido: pt-BR)
After replaced the wireless card. Download those Kexts and put in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
- Download the AirportBrcmFixup.kext from here. I used the version 1.1.9.
- Download the BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext from here. I used the version 2018-0505.
- Download the BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext from here. I used the version 1.1.2.
Now you can start the instalation without problem (I guess).
UEFI Setup Configuration and Installation
My BIOS is the latest: 1.93 (J4ET93WW)
- Shutdown and insert the flash drive.
- Power on with F1 pressed to enter BIOS setup.
- Change value: Config - Intel(R) AMT - Intel(R) AMT Control to DISABLED
- Change value: Security - Security Chip to DISABLED
- Change value: Security - Anti-Theft - Intel(R) AT Module Activation to DISABLED
- Change value: Security - Anti-Theft - Computrace to DISABLED
- Change value: Security - Secure Boot to DISABLED
- Change value: Startup - UEFI/Legacy Boot to BOTH, Legacy First and CSM Support = Yes
- Save & Exit Setup (F10)
- Now, hold the F12
- In the list, select your flash drive.
The installer will start.
Format destination disk
Format the disk with GUID partition mapping and name it "Macintosh".
- Select Disk Utility in the list, then press Continue.
- Click in View, then "Show All Devices".
- Select the destination Disk, then Erase.
- Name: HD, Format: APFS and Scheme: GUID Partition Map
Close Disk Utility.
Select "Install macOS", then Continue.
Follow instructions in screen.
After first part install the system will reboot. Maybe you have to press F12 again and select the flash drive.
The second part of the installation will begin. This will take 16 minutes.
When the second part of install finish, the system will reboot again.
After performing the user initial setup and go to the desktop, you need to install Clover on internal disk.
Open the Clover installer inside flash drive that you copied before.
Use same options above but choose the system partition this time.
Now you need to replace the config.plist inside your destination disk EFI parittion with config.plist inside flash card EFI partition.
The flash drive EFI partition is unmounted. Mount with terminal "sudo diskutil mount /dev/rdiskXs1". To know what X is, use "diskutil list", most likely is 1.
Copy all Kexts from flash drive to /Library/Extensions, with those commands in Terminal:
sudo cp -R /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/* /Library/Extensions/ sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions sudo kextcache -i / Restart the system.
System update 10.14.3
- Updated with success;
- Everything works perfectly after reboot;
And last but not least
I would like to thank the following community members, by making these dream possible:
@crushers, @snatch, @apianti, @blackosx, @blusseau, @dmazar, @slice2009, @autumnrain, @phpdev32, @EMlyDinEsH, @RehabMan, @Scellow, @mitch_de, @Shailua, @Andy Vandijck, @maxfierke, @ArturXXX, @LexHimself, @brumas, @Shiki and all others members involved directly or indirectly.