orByte

Generic USB2.0 (EHCI) Driver

474 posts in this topic

Thanks for the fix. USB now working on nForce4 mobo (Shuttle XPC SN25P) in 10.4.8.

Edited by kikos

Advertisement

I am using PCGenUSBEHCI-2.6.1a on a Shuttle SN26P (nforce 4) machine because it was having the USB BIOS problem. It fixed everything but one problem remains...

I have a Logitech bluetooth mx-5000 keyboard/mouse which came with a USB/Bluetooth dongle. The dongle is recognized and shows up in the USB section of the System Profiler. The keyboard seems to work, but the mouse doesn't. Strangely, moving the mouse causes the volume settings to go up and down. The sound card is also a USB device - Creative Live! 24 USB.

I have an old Mac PowerPC so I tried the dongle/kb/mouse on it and it all works perfectly with no setup or configuration.

Since the USB did not work at all before your PCGenUSBEHCI driver, I do not know if it would have worked with the original AppleUSBEHCI.

Can anyone suggest a fix or anything which might clarify the problem?

Thanks,

{censored}

I think that my problem is related with the usb driver , that's why I will ask here.

I have a Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24 usb sound card , it is working, 5.1 sound, bla bla, but .. from time to time I hear some click's and distorsions especially when I play dvd's.... under windows, on the same machine, is working ok .. searching the forums (not in here) they told me that is something wrong with usb letancy (?! - no idea what that is ). Can this driver be used with an intel mb ? (is a intel D 945 GNTD mainboard) - I wish to try the driver, but since on the entire house I have only usb mouse and keyboards..... I am afraid that if something will go wrong, I will be stuck .... with an osx reinstall.... and I have a lot of data's on osx hdd - I keep windows on a small and old 30 GB hdd.... and osx on my new 500GB hdd...... any idea or suggestions ?

I am using PCGenUSBEHCI-2.6.1a on a Shuttle SN26P (nforce 4) machine because it was having the USB BIOS problem. It fixed everything but one problem remains...

I have a Logitech bluetooth mx-5000 keyboard/mouse which came with a USB/Bluetooth dongle. The dongle is recognized and shows up in the USB section of the System Profiler. The keyboard seems to work, but the mouse doesn't. Strangely, moving the mouse causes the volume settings to go up and down. The sound card is also a USB device - Creative Live! 24 USB.

I have an old Mac PowerPC so I tried the dongle/kb/mouse on it and it all works perfectly with no setup or configuration.

Since the USB did not work at all before your PCGenUSBEHCI driver, I do not know if it would have worked with the original AppleUSBEHCI.

Can anyone suggest a fix or anything which might clarify the problem?

Thanks,

{censored}

Have you downloaded the Logitech control panel for your x86 Mac? Also, I tend to get a related odd volume/mouse issue when the mouse batteries are running low.

Best.

I think that my problem is related with the usb driver , that's why I will ask here.

I have a Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24 usb sound card , it is working, 5.1 sound, bla bla, but .. from time to time I hear some click's and distorsions especially when I play dvd's.... under windows, on the same machine, is working ok .. searching the forums (not in here) they told me that is something wrong with usb letancy (?! - no idea what that is ). Can this driver be used with an intel mb ? (is a intel D 945 GNTD mainboard) - I wish to try the driver, but since on the entire house I have only usb mouse and keyboards..... I am afraid that if something will go wrong, I will be stuck .... with an osx reinstall.... and I have a lot of data's on osx hdd - I keep windows on a small and old 30 GB hdd.... and osx on my new 500GB hdd...... any idea or suggestions ?

OK, unless your USB Mouse & Keyboard are EHCI, you will be OK. Most Mouse & Keyboards are OHCI/UHCI, so you should be fine. If worse comes to worse, you can always boot up with the install CD and then use the terminal to replace the backed up copy of the AppleEHCI. (You do have a backup copy right??)

Now, onto the cracks.... It is possile that the driver will help BUT most likely not. Why? I suspect that the cracks are caused b/c the EHCI USB driver does not have clock registration. All EHCI drivers not running on Mac x86 hardware will suffer from this, as the driver code fails to detect the on-board clock. This is an area that I have marked for mods but really don't know when exactly I will be getting to it (possibly after I finish the uli626x port) - it looks simple but could turn out to be hairy.

Best

Tanks ! the sound is much better now - still some cracking on some movies, but at least not so often like before. Maybe, if you will manage to implement and the corect clock ... TANKS !

Hi orByte,

I'm new here in this forum, and i also can't download that "PCGenUSBEHCI-261.4.2a.zip"

CAN YOU SEND THAT FILE TO ME WITH THIS EMAIL: ccvannak@gmail.com PLEASE?

Thanks,

Vannak

;)

Hi orByte,

I'm new here in this forum, and i also can't download that "PCGenUSBEHCI-261.4.2a.zip"

CAN YOU SEND THAT FILE TO ME WITH THIS EMAIL: ccvannak@gmail.com PLEASE?

Thanks,

Vannak

:unsure:

Hi sorry but I do not send emails. Try a public proxy server: http://www.publicproxyservers.com. Or perhaps some one else will do so.

Best.

Have you downloaded the Logitech control panel for your x86 Mac? Also, I tend to get a related odd volume/mouse issue when the mouse batteries are running low.

Best.

Yes I had downloaded the latest LogitechUSBHIDevices.kext (which is what I assume you are referring to). I.e., the package is included in the file from Logitech lcc213.dmg.

Also, the mouse is less than two months old and is rechargable (being recharged every night). It works flawlessly under Windows XP and on OSX10.4.8 on an old powerpc mac so I doubt there is a problem with the batteries.

I very much appreciate your suggestions...

Do you have any other ideas I can try?

Thanks,

rwk

Best.

UPDATE!!!

I read in another forum that the logitech contro center drivers do not work on os-x with bluetooth. But it also said that the SteerMouse driver *DO* work. So I installed them and yes, they fixed it!

Found them here:

www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/drivers/steermouse.html

Thanks for a great underlying driver that allowed me to get off the ground.

For the record, your driver solves the BIOS control problem for the SHUTTLE SN26P MOTHERBOARD!

Well, how it is working the ULI implementation ?- to be honest ... I am interested in the clock registration .. ans as you have write on the forum .. maybe after ULI support will be ready .. so ..

Well, how it is working the ULI implementation ?- to be honest ... I am interested in the clock registration .. ans as you have write on the forum .. maybe after ULI support will be ready .. so ..

:rolleyes: Hmmm.... I see .... Uli is halfway there - can get mac addr & activate interface & local ping. But now comes the hard part, which is packet transmission & reception....

However, I am keeping clock reg in mind ...

Best.

is there an automated version of this driver out there? the last time I followed someones instructions which told me to delete kext files my system died on me.

Hi! I tried your method but i got no idea if i really made it. Here are some scrennies : post-64135-1170370048_thumb.png post-64135-1170370197_thumb.png

Hi Speed USB (EHCI) seems to be recognised. Though posting

dmesg | grep EHCI

after a reboot should be helpful to see for sure.

Best

Well, it seem that your driver will be the only good solution for me (for the crack and posp that appear with my usb sound card ). I have try every single possible settings in bios, but the annoying posp are still in here..., I hope that the problems is as you suspect the usb clock (no ideea what it is ... I am not a programmer). I hope that, this to be a solution, so I have to wait with patience .... btw, tanks in advance !

Well, it seem that your driver will be the only good solution for me (for the crack and posp that appear with my usb sound card ). I have try every single possible settings in bios, but the annoying posp are still in here..., I hope that the problems is as you suspect the usb clock (no ideea what it is ... I am not a programmer). I hope that, this to be a solution, so I have to wait with patience .... btw, tanks in advance !

Cheers. hang in there ... And you also have a point, clock registration may not solve the issue. But it is worth a try.

Best

hi orbyte,

Here it is attached. I hope is what you asked

I did:

ioreg -c AppleUSBEHCI -c IOUSBRootHubDevice -w0

on my terminal...

I have deleted the appleusbehci kext.... Does it make a difference?

anyway here is the output I got

IOREG.rtf

hi orbyte,

Here it is attached. I hope is what you asked

I did:

ioreg -c AppleUSBEHCI -c IOUSBRootHubDevice -w0

on my terminal...

I have deleted the appleusbehci kext.... Does it make a difference?

anyway here is the output I got

Hi Thanks!

So you deleted, ApppleUSBEHCI.kext but left PCGenUSBEHCI.kext right? OK, it looks like (1) either there is not a match to the USB2 (EHCI) PCI device, or, (2) there is a match BUT initialization fails.

What you dou get from

kextstat | grep PCGen

and, if present can you do

kextunload <path-to>/PCGenUSBEHCI

and

anything from,

sudo dmesg | grep EHCI

Plz. post these and, then depending on those, if it is OK for you I will prepare a special kext for debugging.

Millions of thanks in advance!

Best

Edited by orByte

on my dmesg found :

USBF: 15. 35 Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS

USBF: 15. 36 USBLEGCTLSTS value c0040000

USBF: 15. 38 Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1 - writing OSOwned

USBF: 15. 39 acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001

USBF: 15. 78 AppleUSBEHCI[0x1a0f800]::start EHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

what thats mean on the last line ?

after installing i was unable to use usb disks, found this too

Extension "com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass" has no kernel dependency.

thanks

on my dmesg found :

USBF: 15. 35 Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS

USBF: 15. 36 USBLEGCTLSTS value c0040000

USBF: 15. 38 Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1 - writing OSOwned

USBF: 15. 39 acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001

USBF: 15. 78 AppleUSBEHCI[0x1a0f800]::start EHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

what thats mean on the last line ?

after installing i was unable to use usb disks, found this too

thanks

USBF:   15. 78  AppleUSBEHCI[0x1a0f800]::start EHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

Means the driver has loaded successfully but will be fully unloaded when you sleep the machine. Nothing to worry about. All non-mac hardware is likely to display this message due to the way the usb driver detects power management.

The problem is here

This means that IOUSBMassStorageClass has NOT loaded. So you need to check that it is present in /System/Library/Extensions, and if yes check version and permissions as well. Version info: for 8.4.1-10.4.7/8 use 1.4.2 for 8.1.1/10.4.8 use: 1.4.2 as well. In sum, try version 1.4.2 and repair permissions. And hopefully that will fix the problem.

Best.

Hi, orByte....

I have update my system to the semthex kernel.... the behevior of the usb ports are the same.

I runed the same tests as before (now with the 8.8.1 kext).... I attached the results below

hope it helps... Thanks for your job!

IOREG.rtf

usb_test.rtf

Edited by blackchungo

This means that IOUSBMassStorageClass has NOT loaded. So you need to check that it is present in /System/Library/Extensions, and if yes check version and permissions as well. Version info: for 8.4.1-10.4.7/8 use 1.4.2 for 8.1.1/10.4.8 use: 1.4.2 as well. In sum, try version 1.4.2 and repair permissions. And hopefully that will fix the problem.

Best.

hi orByte,

now it seems this extension fits perfectly , i found nothing about unloaded extensions, just found over current message. This caused my synaptic pad not working.

this is my log

USBF: 14.138 Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS

USBF: 14.138 USBLEGCTLSTS value c0040000

USBF: 14.138 Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1 - writing OSOwned

USBF: 14.138 acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001

USBF: 14.175 AppleUSBEHCI[0x19e7800]::start EHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: ICH4 ATA/100 (CMD 0x170, CTR 0x374, IRQ 15, BM 0x1868)

USB caused wake event (EHCI)

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: ICH4 ATA/100 (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0x1860)

USBF: 14.286 [0x1ad1a00] USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0xfd000000)

USBF: 14.287 AppleUSBHubPort[0x1aa5800]::DefaultOverCrntChangeHandler. OverCurrent condition in Port 1

USB Notification: The device "EHCI Root Hub Simulation" @ 0xfd000000 has caused an overcurrent condition. The hub it is attached to has been disabled

USBF: 14.307 [0x1ad1600] USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x1d000000)

USBF: 14.310 [0x1ad1400] USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x3d000000)

USBF: 14.312 [0x1ad1200] USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x5d000000)

thanks