orByte

Generic USB2.0 (EHCI) Driver

474 posts in this topic

Advertisement
This still doesn't work for me... :thumbsdown_anim:

i have a strong feeling about this damn memory error is caused by this damn bios! when i closely inspected bios, i found this damned info...

the bios program called Insyde Software SCU when i googled it, found their website and it has some info which i dont really understand the tech side but one thing got my attention... it said somewhere in the page this software has alteration in memory runnin in from low and riding to higher memory space bla bla bla that means it has some relation to this memory cannot be read issue...??? if any more knowledge guys read can explain this as can be the centre of the problem? bcoz of this non standard memory allocation? sounds like things supposed to be in some location are not at the right location..???

http://www.insydesoftware.com/solutions/pc/acpi_firmware.cfm

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been asked before (I couldn't see it). I have a Pavillion ZD7000 currently running Uphuck's 10.4.9 (v1.4i) and absolutely everything appears to work fine except USB. I have been running earlier Jas versions too in the past, but one problem has always existed.

This is what happens when I am trying to copy some data off an external HDD to my local drive: At first all appears to work fine, and I get full speed (with the proper ICH-8 option selected from the installer). The trouble is that I can only transfer about 5GB of data before I get either a kernel panic or the machine reboots itself :P Anyway I came across this thread and thought I would give PCGenUSBEHCI a try. I followed all the instructions and when I tried the external HDD transfer, I could get about 10GB of data across before a kernel panic. Anybody have any idea what I am doing wrong, or perhaps point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

I have laptop Acer Aspire 3608 WNXCi, 1.6 Pentium M, 512 DDR2, Intel GMA 900, 60GB Toshiba. Everything fine with OS X86 JaS, only one problem, EHCI USB2.0.

I've try all for my USB2.0 EHCI to work, but none of those worked.

I've try update from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 still same.

On 10.4.8 I've try your way, on 10.4.9 too, but still.. I always got this messages, from the very start.. nothing change.

Now, I'm trying with 10.4.8 kernel 8.8.1 (JaS) FAILED

Now, trying again with 10.4.9 kernel 8.9.1 (TuH-xnu-792.18.15)

This is my dmesg:

dmesg.txt

This is my kextstat:

kextstat.txt

And this is my ioreg

ioreg.txt:

On About This Mac -> More -> USB there were only 4 USB with AppleUHCI, on Windows there's 5 USBs with 1 of them is EHCI. I also upgrade my BIOS version, but still none. Sorry for bad english. Please help me. Thanks before.

Edit: it seem that the kernel can't get memory address for the device.

to all having problems with usb 2.0 on hackintosh...

the only resolution i have found, or at least the most effective one, and the least painful one, was to purchase a NON-VIA chipset usb card. this applies to both pci and pcmcia on laptops. many usb sets on many mobos are of the VIA variety, and they're {censored}. not to mention osx on x86 is not friendly to it.

by purchasing an $18.99 NEC-based usb 2.0 card, my 10.4.8 install immediately offered me usb 2.0. stable. i would imagine for any laptop users finding a pcmcia card with a similar (non-via) chipset, that this may be an effective solution as well.

caveat: at first, i disabled the onboard usb and booted up osx. osx immediately recognized the 2.0 card and i had good usb 1.1 and 2.0 out of that card, but all the sudden i had no keyboard. somehow the ps/2 keyboard is related to the onboard usb. i re-enabled onboard usb and after a reboot, i got my keyboard back, and now i have good, stable usb 2.0 out of the NEC-based pci card, and i have usb 1.1 only out of the onboard jacks. plus my ps/2 keyboard, of course.

a $20 solution. yes, took a little cash, but i now have absolutely everything working the way it should. and i didn't have to edit any files, etc.

sampacc

New version 276.4.0 stil same for me, nothing works. I've try ALL from IOUSBFamily for 10.4.3, 10.4.4, 10.4.5, 10.4.7, 10.4.8, 10.4.9, 10.4.10. Still nothing, like I said, it has to do with the kernel memory mapping. Anybody can help?

New version 276.4.0 stil same for me, nothing works. I've try ALL from IOUSBFamily for 10.4.3, 10.4.4, 10.4.5, 10.4.7, 10.4.8, 10.4.9, 10.4.10. Still nothing, like I said, it has to do with the kernel memory mapping. Anybody can help?

hello mate, i m using acer laptop (Aspire 9503) as well, usb 2.0 wont work on this laptop, as if u ever checked the bios, it has some different type of BIOS SOFTWARE, which is something to do with acpi's bla bla and it will not let os x (i believe thats the reason) to read the pci ids in order for everything to work probably...

In a previous comment mentioned about via cards... my laptop is intel chipset all the way up... and nothing to do with via at all... But it doesnt work... still...

On this laptop: There are 5 usb2.0 ports and all works at 1.1!

infrared - never tried to make it work

wireless ar5005 - works fine after some driver fixing

lan - works

gma 900 - works fine with paperclip / qe/ci everytg working but only at 64 mb (weird it should be able to get 196 max or 128 fixed)

hdd - pata but couple driver meddling to speed it up a bit..

dvdrw/cdrw -works fine (slow a bit though)

sound alc260 - nah just sound out nothing 5.1 or anything input

5-1 card reader built-in doesnt work...

pcmcia doesnt work for sure, i dont know about express card slot never tried

firewire works fine (not to mention it is apple's own tech)

i also have extra remote control which works fine for volume ;)

no usb2.0, no pcmcia, no card reader, no infrared

Hi All,

Pardon me if this is just a repetition of an earlier query.

I am running 10.4.8 on AMD 64 1800+ on ASUS K8V-MX Mobo with GeForce FX 5200, 512 Mb SD RAM.

Everything works fine. AGP, QE, CI etc. With xbench score of 79. Except for USB.

I tried UC's kexts from another thread and the results are encouraging. With legacy disabled, Profiles is listing the USB as High Speed, and recognizing my Jet Flash mass storage correctly with the exception that Disk Utility is not able to detect it correctly.

But, unplugging the device makes it to appear in Disk Utility! If I boot with the device plugged I am able to see it in Disk Utility. But, then I am not able to unmount it. Even when this creature is detected and appearing in Disk Util or in profiler, I am not able to mount it. I tried all the USB ports. For that matter I had only four.

What shall I do? :(

abg wrote: "I am running 10.4.8 on AMD 64 1800+ on ASUS K8V-MX Mobo with GeForce FX 5200, 512 Mb SD RAM.

Everything works fine. AGP, QE, CI etc. With xbench score of 79. Except for USB."

i'm running 10.4.8 on an AMD (Athlon) 64 1800+ on an MSI K8 board with an FX5200 as well. your system sounds extremely similar to mine, all i can suggest (to abg, at least) is to try an NEC-based PCI USB 2.0 card. worked for me.

to mysticus, i have no experience with intel-based usb, so your comments are welcome. all i'm sayin' is simply that an NEC-based USB 2.0 card worked for me, when absolutely EVERYTHING else did not. ;-) and as far as my experience with VIA probs, it's not just usb, it's everything. as an audio guy, all research i've run into suggests that via-based chipsets are globally problematic - has something to do with the way they handle pci - big latency probs, etc.

good luck, all, and keep the posts coming.

Hey,

I used the 2.7.0 file you provided on an Uphuck 10.4.9 install on a Compaq Presario V5205NR laptop. It actually worked ;)

Thank you very much for saving me a load of trouble in finding a working solution

Peace

hello mate, i m using acer laptop (Aspire 9503) as well, usb 2.0 wont work on this laptop, as if u ever checked the bios, it has some different type of BIOS SOFTWARE, which is something to do with acpi's bla bla and it will not let os x (i believe thats the reason) to read the pci ids in order for everything to work probably...

In a previous comment mentioned about via cards... my laptop is intel chipset all the way up... and nothing to do with via at all... But it doesnt work... still...

no usb2.0, no pcmcia, no card reader, no infrared

True Mysticus, I even update my BIOS version, from 1.2 to 2.1, it's still DOESN'T WORK! it's true that ACPI's bla bla bla wont read the pci ids. I'm giving up.. :)

This is what orBytes called KISS OF DEATH. The mobo isn't support for the driver. :)

another success story!

i tried the instructions in PCGenUSBEHCI-256.4.2a.zip and usb driver works like a charm on my HP Pavilion dv5237cl laptop, thanks orByte!!!

Anybody got this working with 10.4.10? If so, then how?

I guess we are waiting for the 10.4.10 source code to be released before we can get it working on 10.4.10.

I'm wondering if it'd be possible just to use the KPI to write a generic EHCI driver that would work on any 10.4.x release.

Thank you so much for this driver!

At first i had troubles getting it to even work but now my usb works!...but then i hit a snag...

After the first few reboots, Mac OSX then began to tell me that the driver wasnt installed properly, so i tried reinstalling it and after the reboot it worked again...but then if i restart again, i get the same error!

Is there a solution for this. Im running uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i on a HP dv5000

Has anybody have any solutions for a .10 version yet? Front USB ports quit working so I'm stuck in the rear (no pun intended) and hub just doesn't work well for mouse/kb. Just crossing my fingers that Apple releases the code for .10 soon!

USB DOES work with 10.4.10. The following files are needed for USB external volumes incl. certain mp3 players and USB sticks to work with Mac OS x86 10.4.10:

IOUSBFamily.kext (prepatched) 2.7.5

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext 1.4.7

IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext 1.5.1 (no joke, took me ages to figure out, but it is really necessary!)

See attachment (I had to use StuffIt because no other format compressed below the 2 MB limit- simply unpack with StuffIt Expander). Safari has the tendency to add .zip to attachments. If you have trouble unstuffing just delete the .zip at the end of the filename, THEN decompress with StuffIt (Expander).

[edit] repacked as .rar because a) the old file disapeared out of this thread (whyever..) and ;) rar compression was even 300 kb smaller - it's simply the best! Decompress with Stuffit (Expander) or UnRAR ..

Best install the three kexts with delish's Kext Helper. If you don't have it yet, get it right here.

Here, my mp3 player has to be plugged in before booting, no hot plug&play anymore, but what the heck ..

Also confirmed working are USB Hub and LAN via USB.

USB_with_10.4.10.rar

That pretty much hosed my USB alltogether. That's alright though, I'm thinking it's better to revert back to .9 for the time being until the source (if it's ever) is released for .10.

That pretty much hosed my USB alltogether. That's alright though, I'm thinking it's better to revert back to .9 for the time being until the source (if it's ever) is released for .10.
you mean applying the stuffed kexts from my posting :o ? What happened?

you mean applying the stuffed kexts from my posting :P ? What happened?
Generated a ton of errors on startup along with no USB whatsoever. I finally got some time to work on this and managed to get my .10 back up and running with the backups. Still have to unplug and replug all USB back in and it's only at 1.1. Really painful on my shiny and new external drive!

I may try them again, maybe I messed up somewhere. If it does the same thing next time I'll report with errors.

Hi all; I'm back running JaS 10.4.8 and am having the same basic problems described here; with one caveat: I used to have no problems at all. When I first installed OSX I had to fix a number of issues and USB 2.0 was one of the them and after many hours of scouring the forums I finally found a couple threads (this one included) that were very helpful. After a little work my USB 2 worked perfectly all the time. All it took was installing the new IOUSBFamily.kext from the developer kit.

This was fantastic and I didn't give it a second thought, until my CMOS battery died and I had to replace that and reset my CMOS, now I have no USB 2 at all again. Since I already had the 2.6.1 version of IOUSBFamily.kext installed I attempted to go through the install for orByte's PCGenUSBEHCI to see if that would solve the problem... no dice. OSX even tells me it's still loading AppleUSBEHCI which made no sense because the file doesn't even exist in the IOUSBFamily.kext anymore...

Does anyone have any ideas I can try next??

Thanks!

btw: System profiler does show the High Speed USB as being available (that how I checked to see that it loaded AppleUSBEHCI), but still none of my 2.0 devices show up.

@ Guanavia: The CMOS-incident has changed your USB settings in BIOS. Go into BIOS and alter your USB settings, one by one, whatever is possible, and boot into Mac OS x86 to look for changes. What has worked for many people is diabling USB legacy support. Maybe that was diabled before and is enabled now, or vice versa.