hackintosh freezes

kozel97

11 posts in this topic

It's almost impossible to diag a freeze from console, unlike a kernel panic, whatever causes the freeze usually doesn't make it into the log. It's even more impossible with no info about your system! Turn off any overclocking, remove any additional hard drives and any non critical peripherals, make sure you have a good DSDT and SSDT and provide all your system details for any help beyond that.

Okay, sorry.

I installed iAtkos ML2 on Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, i2500k, MSI Hawk 560ti. I try install DSDT but kernel panic after restart. And atkos is installed on SSD (intel 320 80GB). I have 1TB HDD (WD Blue) and I need it for work, movies...

using nullcpupowermanagement.kext? If you don't have native power management working, start there. Many times freezing when idle is caused by voltage drop that occurs when cpu is about to clock up and bump voltage. Either get native powermanegement and speedstep working with nullcpupower removed, or make sure all c states and speedstep are disabled in bios. First option is much preferred, properly patched DSDT likely needed but maybe not on some UEFI boards. No clue what iatkos may or may not include, install things you shouldn't have or not install things you do need.

:wallbash: That's like robbing Peter to pay Paul, and accidentally shooting yourself in the process. Know what your putting on your system. Sure you might make a mistake or two, but you'll also know how to fix it. [Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X Mountain Lion + Chameleon + DSDT for beginners. read stuff, it's good for you :)
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Yes, I have. And any solution?

Besides AGPM Issue (AKA Fermi Freeze), there are two more known to me causes of random OSX freezes:

1. Incompatible GPU Sensors Plugin (GPUSensors.kext)

In FakeSMC.kext v5.2.725 it is located in /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/GPUSensors.kext

- Remove it from FakeSMC.kext then reinstall FakeSMC.kext. Do not forget to repair permitions and update boot caches with Kext Utility before reboot.

2. Outdated SSD Drive Firmware (if OSX is installed on SSD Drive)

- Update your SSD Drive Firmware

Open console.app. If you see messages about OpenGL Channel Exceptions (use the search to find it) then the freezes are caused by your video card, AKA the Fermi Freeze. We have several topics about this spread around the forums. There is no real fix available. From time to time someone claims that it no longer happens to them after installing update so-and-so, but the freezes always return sooner or later.

There is a little app somebody made that you're supposed to keep running in the background (you can set it as hidden log-in item), it works around this issue by keeping your video card busy and that somehow prevents the freezes from happening.  I don't remember the name of this app.