CodeRush

[UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility

1,988 posts in this topic

from linux maybe, tuxuser wrote a piece of code but I don't know if it's applicable for your needs. Ask him.

Also read this interesting piece of text.

Thank to you, BlackSheep VS RustyNail, I do have found another way to dump my NVRAM without any problems.

But now, I don't know what to change in there ^^

I do have attached my NVRAM, open it with Hex Editor.

I can replace NVRAM, ^^

Hope we can found something related to SMI Lock in there :)

But I can't see anything related to it for now :(

ASUS did not do the job half the way :(

nvram.zip

Advertisement

Laptop now bricked because of NVRAM -_-"

Fu$$$$ ASUS!

I never thought it could have an impact like this one ..

So! User with 2012 - Today, laptop mobo ASUS ! Don't try to touch NVRAM.

@CodeRush

Great job with the tool.

I have an Asus Q301LA laptop which is the same as the S301LA with H87 chipset.  I downloaded the latest bios from the ASUS website and followed the instructions you gave in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285444-uefipatch-uefi-patching-utility/page-57?do=findComment&comment=1984362

and have created a new rom file.

Is there any way to check if it was done correctly?  Attached is the patched rom

S301LAAS.zip

Hello. I'm trying to disable BIOS and NVRAM lock on my Z77 motherboard. I used AMIBCP to disable SMI and BIOS lock in image file, but program produced CAP file with different firs bits, than original. UEFITool shows that I'm opening not capsule file, but rather BIOS file. I'm attaching both files here. Can someone please look at them?

PS. I have Asus Maximus V Extreme motherboard with 1903 BIOS. I can only flash with Flashback because of lock.

MAXIMUS-V-EXTREME-ASUS-1903.rar

MAXIMUS-V-EXTREME-ASUS-1903-SMI-unlock.rar

@ikkoku, there is no way to check it without trying and I don't know any reliable method to flash modified BIOS on notebooks, so please just use Clover's patching engine, if you don't have a SPI flasher to use dump/patch/reflash approach.

@Net-burst, why do you need to disable lock on your platform? NVRAM works fine with recent Clover versions, and removing those locks just make your PC more vulnerable. Newer versions of AMIBCP remove a signature from CAP file, but you can add just replace this modified header with the original one to make the modified image compatible with USB BIOS Flashback.

@CodeRush, I'm losing sleep and half of USB ports with it, unfortunately. One USB2 hub, to be more precise. It somehow messes up my IRQ allocation. At least I think so. Furthermore, I'm still getting rollback to old NVRAM mode in bootlog. Looks like ROG series have something different about them. How much bytes is header do I need to replace? 11? As I understand, I need to copy set number of bytes starting from first one into modified file. Am I correct? Nothing else?

PS. Looking at file differences, it looks like several different modules were either replaced or moved. For example, after PMPatch, I get few different bits. However, after AMIBCP I'm getting a lot of chunks.

Capsule header is 2kb of size for your BIOS, you need to replace it as a whole. I don't know if that NVRAM patch could still work on newer platforms, but you can try anyway.

P.S. make a BIOS dump with FPT -bios -d backup.bin in case of losing individual board data during your testing, you can always restore it from that file later, if anything goes wrong.

@CodeRush, thanks. Will check it later tonight. Replaced 2kb, checked file in UEFITool. Looks like all is OK. Fortunately, I have dual bios, so I think I can revert even if something will go FUBAR :)

PS. Z77 is old platform, so I think all will work. At least I hope so.

@ikkoku, there is no way to check it without trying and I don't know any reliable method to flash modified BIOS on notebooks, so please just use Clover's patching engine, if you don't have a SPI flasher to use dump/patch/reflash approach.

@Net-burst, why do you need to disable lock on your platform? NVRAM works fine with recent Clover versions, and removing those locks just make your PC more vulnerable. Newer versions of AMIBCP remove a signature from CAP file, but you can add just replace this modified header with the original one to make the modified image compatible with USB BIOS Flashback.

I tried to run fpt from your ftk for win, but it says it's not compatible.  

For some reason I can't boot usb to dos either.

hi .. CodeRush. 

MSI do not need .. 
ASUS only PB875-M LX Plus and P8Z77-M. 
The bios .cab 
of PMPatch 
When updating the bios ... ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility. 
Security verification failed. 

How to patch 2 bios.? 
Thank you.

Any Help ?? ..

Ok, my BIOS flashed ok. But now I'm facing another problem, which is out of scope of this thread. I replaced WiFi combo-board to new one and my ASM1061 SATA stopped working. Only in OSX. Talk about esoteric problems :(

Hi all; I think this is where I need to post this.

I have been using osX for a while now, 10.7 to 10.10, and my build consists of a Asus Maximus V Gene mobo (Z77), with 3770K CPU and 32GB of RAM, SSD's. 

I moved to clover a while back, but never could never get it to boot UEFI. After numerous attempts, I saw an error which sometimes appeared 'VGA card not supported by UEFI' or something similar. 

I am using an older modded bios, so I am led to believe I probably need a new modded bios to allow this UEFI to work properly for booting clover from the ESP of the Yosemite drive.

Do I patch it myself with these tools?

Sorry for the noobish type post, but I am not one for messing with bioses (everything else is fine!).

Thanks

@medallo, Z77-M can be flashed using USB BIOS Flashback. P8B75 - using AFU /GAN method linked in old FAQ in the first page.

@shokka9, your GPU has no UEFI firmware, that is why you can't start your system with CSM mode off, but I doubt that it's required for Clover to be off. Anyway, almost any BIOS mod possible is unrelated to this problem.

@shokka9, your GPU has no UEFI firmware, that is why you can't start your system with CSM mode off, but I doubt that it's required for Clover to be off. Anyway, almost any BIOS mod possible is unrelated to this problem.

OK; that's a new one on me. I'm going to buy a new GPU soon (GTX 760).

I don't know what to do then..... thanks for the reply though.

Im a totally newbie  

Im trying to figure out how to use uefitools to patch my z87m-g43 broad. I downloaded the latest tools. I downloaded the latest bios version for my broad. its named E7823IMS.280.

Im stuck right there:(

46QQlsd.jpg

Grab your BIOS file and drop it onto UEFIPatch binary, if .patched file is generated - some patches were applied.

On this screenshot you can clearly see "Usage: UEFIPatch image_file", so the only parameter you need is the path to tour BIOS file. Once, not twice or more.

Hi friends, i'm starting to play with synology, ( a nas appliance ) based on X86 hardware, i'v discovered that the firmware it' sum of bios and operating system but bios it's a normal uefi bios, so, i'm start to think, could be possible discover specific modules and add those into normal uefi bios? 

I think yes, but i dont have needed skills to start investigation.

Could someone suggest me how can start the investigation? 

Many thanks and sorry for my bad English :-) 

@medallo, Z77-M can be flashed using USB BIOS Flashback. P8B75 - using AFU /GAN method linked in old FAQ in the first page.

Thank you ..
I can not find the AFU / GAN route ?.
No video tutorial.?. how to patch the bios p8b75 from MAC OSX
Please.

@amgclk65, just as simple as that:

post-1111314-0-83435600-1415774559.png

@Aigors, I doubt there are any specific modules there, because all NAS work is done by heavily-modified Linux, and the point of UEFI is just to boot it. You can use UEFITool for your investigations.

@medallo, you can't flash anything from OSX on boards newer then Z68 ones, and sorry - no video tutorials here. If you can't find a way to flash your modified BIOS, maybe you just don't need it at all? Use Clover with KernelPatch instead, it's much more safe and can't brick your PC.

hi

i want to patch the updated bios 2303 for my motherboard asus z87-plus actually in 1707 pmpatched and running osx yosemite.

i cant find uefitools ??

links are broken.

thanks.

@medallo, you can't flash anything from OSX on boards newer then Z68 ones, and sorry - no video tutorials here. If you can't find a way to flash your modified BIOS, maybe you just don't need it at all? Use Clover with KernelPatch instead, it's much more safe and can't brick your PC.

ok. I do with windows. I can not find the AFU / GAN route and download links?  I will try.

Hi Coderush, this is for you inform that the last version of uefitool doesn't  work on osx, at first launch i get a trap, if you want i can send you some report if you can explain me how to