Will this hardware selection work?

4 posts in this topic

Dear all,

Firstly, may I take the opportunity to wish everyone a very happy new year and thank you for reading this post.

Having always been pining after an iMac, I have decided that the only way of getting one would be to build a Hackintosh.

I'm relatively new to the forums and also new to the building of custom PCs for use with OS X (having spent many years building Windows PCs).

I have drawn up a list of components, but I have a few question over compatibility.

If you could be so kind as to tell me a) whether they will run OS X in the first place and B) answer my queries (see below)

And thanks in advance for any help, support and guidance.

-- Hardware 'Shopping' List --

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4-TH

Memory: 32GB, comprised of (4x Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-Channel)

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570k 3.40GHz (Ivy) Quad-Core Socket LGA1155

Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GT 640 OC 2048MB GDDR3 PCI-Express

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 2TB 6Gb/s SATA Drive

Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-207EBK Blu-ray Writer

First, a little about my usage/intentions. I am not an intense gamer, but I enjoy the occasional HD movie and partake in graphic design projects. Ideally, I would like to use a display that achieves the Apple 'Retina Display' standard, with a resolution of 2560x1440.

Which leads on to my questions:

1) Should I purchase an Apple Thunderbolt Display (27"), will it be compatible with the thunderbolt ports on the motherboard, including driver compatibility and the iSight functionality? Also, will it be able to produce retina-like graphics?

2) I am aware that OS X lacks the ability to play Blu-Ray, are there any workarounds for this? More importantly, will it be compatible as a standard CD/DVD RW?

3) Will the on-board Bluetooth adapter work? (WiFi is not a problem as I have gigabit Ethernet around the house)

Thanks once again for any help.

Much appreciated

I agree with McG - do a search for the HCL. I don't know about the bluetooth, but I have read many forum posts talking about the need for very specific bluetooth adapters to work in a hachintosh.

With regards to BluRay - if you buy a retail drive (not bare-bones/OEM), it should come with the software you need. If you do go the OEM/bare-bones route, you'll need to but some DVD/BluRay player software. This is exactly the same as it is in Windows 7 - no native support. Hell, even Windows 8 dropped DVD player support (without the Media Center add-on). Licensing costs were too much, and neither Apple nor the evil empire are willing to bundle it with everything and charge everyone. Buy the software or buy a retail drive and you're good to go.

Good luck with your build!