InsanelyMac Forum
bbeepp

Proper mouse tracking under OSX is live!

Advertisement

And I have to register on the forum just to download it? No, thanks...

Also, how does it work with custom VoodooPS2 kexts?

beep, Thank you very much for this news. This is long-awaited solution. Cursor behaviour in Mac was unacceptable for me - very big annoyance.

I am unsure if the SmoothMouse offers any actual improvements over the existing native OS X cursor tracking, but it does look interesting.

Somebody may not notice (the lag) this but some yes and this is a big issue for us. If you require precise control in some apps or games this solution is a real game changer. Even Apple developers admited that there is a issue that makes cursor laggy on OS X but did nothing to resolve this.

edit: The lag is more visible when you are using PVA or IPS based LCD display. TN based ones has quicker response time and thus it is less visible.

And there is an option that should be default in OS X - linear mouse movement. I haven't got used to acceleration tracking (Enable cursor precision option) even in Windows and default OS X one is even worse.

Just installed this on 10.8.2 and WOW what a change. Mouse now moves like it should. Thanks for this!

I don't get anyone not noticing the tracking difference in OSX as opposed to other OS's. Apple made it clear a long time ago that their tracking control is way more innovative and intuitive than other OS's. So the difference was intentional and therefore, noticeable. It is the one thing I have always hated about Macs. That and their unergonomic mouse designs which are designed for people with small hands and delicate fingers. Wherever I have had to work on a Mac, I have always replaced the Apple mouse with a generic USB mouse. The way Apple designed the movements is based on how fast you swipe the mouse as to how far the cursor travels. This results in the typical Mac user swiping like a lunatic to get places.

When did a USB replacement mouse get the tracking sorted? I have lost track ... Back in the days of Tiger/L/SL , I used to use a PS2 kext specifically to use the PS2 port to get normal tracking. (USB used to give 'normal' Apple tracking) Only after reading this article, have I realized that that the tracking I get from my natively supported wireless Microsoft mouse is 'normal' as in the same tracking used in Windows & Linux. Little things like this make the world of a difference.

I tried this and it is better than the default tracking, but it doesn't play nice with KeyRemap4MacBook, so it is a dead-end for me. Too bad it is not open source so it could potentially be fixed. Maybe there is a fix that could be done on the KeyRemap4MacBook side (it is open source), but it would probably be handy to look at the source for both to figure out what the conflict might be.

Not open source. Enough said.

This

Sorry, but unless it is open source, I wont trust it if it is from the hackintosh community.

I'm trying this out, thanks! What's the diff between Linear and Windows acceleration curve?

Linear makes cursor move exactly as your hand moves.

Windows acceleration curve behaves in similar way to default OS X mouse movement. It helps you to make quick and fast movements of cursor and very slow and precise ones. You have to try it yourself to feel the difference.

By the way. there is a new version which fixes some bugs and improves performance.

Thank you. I did the update and absolutely love the difference it makes! I'm using the Windows curve which seems to have some acceleration. One side effect I've noticed is that clicking the mouse does not wake my monitor from sleep anymore. They keyboard still works to wake, so I'm using that. Good app!!!

...One side effect I've noticed is that clicking the mouse does not wake my monitor from sleep anymore. They keyboard still works to wake, so I'm using that. Good app!!!

This is a known issue and being worked on.

Had to uninstall it because the log was filled with "... smoothmoused[262]: Failed to get 'HIDTrackpadAcceleration'"

Had to uninstall it because the log was filled with "... smoothmoused[262]: Failed to get 'HIDTrackpadAcceleration'"

Same here. My log file was getting bigger and bigger. Error report every 2 seconds. The tracking was also unusual. Like they say... if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it.

Same here. My log file was getting bigger and bigger. Error report every 2 seconds. The tracking was also unusual. Like they say... if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it.

To be honest I liked the smoothness and the Windows-like acceleration curve, but the log problem was unbeareble, whenever they'll fix it (or maybe it's just my problem) I get back to it

THANK YOU! To make it work smooth on my HP Synaptics touchpad, I had to set it to its slowest setting, and also untick the box saying Ignore Accidental Input in the original trackpad prefpane. Works well so far :)

This works great, but do you think it would be possible to make it also work in tandem with BetterTouchTool? At least button mappings made in BetterTouchTool don't seem to work.