Is Mountain Lion compatible with this hardware? If so which one?

CamCracker

11 posts in this topic

Hi. I just bought a setup on eBay. I have a Macbook Pro, but need a desktop to run Windows only software, and this Macbook isn't the fastest ever.

This is the setup I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330852003167

I need to know which OS X Hackintosh disk I should use, (which distribution and version) for installing Mountain Lion, and what will I need to do to get everything functioning? If not everything will function right, what won't function 100%?

If I can't get mac working on it, I will just keep windows only. But if I can get OS X on it with a hackintosh disk, then I will have it as the main system and run windows inside of a virtual machine inside the OS X.

Not a fan of Windows but I run it because I need it for my software.

And this is the ram I bought for the computer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120998070818

Edited by eep357
Merged duplicate topics--only one please!

You want to install OSX Lion on a PC ... so you go and buy an AMD barebones system... with no discreet grapics card... for that price too... WTF! Good luck with that! You obviously have not researched the OSX86 scene at all. Hardly anyone uses distro's these days. Distro's are too hit and miss and you would be restricted to the limitations of the person who put the distro together. Research properly and you will find how easy it is to do a simple install from the version of Lion etc which comes from the App Store. Or just download distro's and hit and miss!

Hint: OSX runs virtually natively on Intel machines (no real 'hacks required... not sure who coined the phrase hackintosh.) , not on AMD. To get it to run on AMD (not 100%) you have to use a modified Kernel (so it's no longer 100% OSX like on Intel systems) . Now that, is a hack-job. The only on-board graphics which are supported by OSX are the Intel HD3000 & HD4000. No amount of 'hacks' will get that board's onboard graphics working. Sound is VIA chipset - unsupported. The only thing on that board taht could work is the LAN. That's pretty much it...

Bottom Line: With zero research, you bought a LEMON. It could make a nice door-stop.

• Like 3

Even if you buy a discrete graphics (and i recommend you a GeForce 640 for oob compatibility with Mountain Lion, or a G210 for the price and oob compatibility with Snow Leopard and Lion), your build will be a bargain.

AMD rigs are more difficult to install. The upside of it is that you have to learn in-depth how your system works, which will give you precious knowledge when the issues come - and the will come, even with the so-called vanilla installations. You'll have to invest quite a lot of time, though, and if time is something you value the most, perhaps Intel is the best option for you.The price/performance ratio of any AMD machine beats any Intel setup hands down, and that is true even with OSX. The reward for the time spent will be a pretty stable OSX system for a tiny fraction you'd pay for a real Mac (or even an Intel hack), besides the knowledge you'll gain and the fun you'll have trying these cats on your computer.

Best regards!

• Like 1

So basically my setup won't work fully with Mountain Lion? What won't work? If I buy this card http://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-Geforce-G210-1-GB-PCIE-DDR3-Video-Adapter-VCG2101D3XPB-/170967597103?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item27ce76802f

Is that the G210 that will work oob?

I just don't know what I need to do to have it working fully.

What would I need to do?

Lots of research, time and hard work, since you bought an AMD rig already. This is the downside of going budget, going AMD, for hackintoshing. It's not easy. Mountain Lion on AMD is experimental yet. Snow Leopard is quite solid and stable, and there's lots of good guides for it. But if you want Mountain Lion, follow the topic "Thoughts About Mountain Lion and AMD (yes, AMD)" on the developer's corner, AMD development.

Good luck.

on 10.6 (Snow Leopard), you'll have just about 100%, and a relatively easy install. On 10.8 (Mountain Lion) you'll have a usable OS, maybe a few panics now and then, but it'll be harder to install. For a stable system 10.7 (Lion) is completely out of the question.

• Like 1

So I should really stick with Snow Leopard with this computer? That's a shame. I wish I could at least use Lion.

So can someone point me to a guide to follow to make a Snow Leopard install USB and to get everything working on AMD hardware?

I should just give up on Mountain Lion and Lion right? For now?

Hey!

Download any IRC client (i recommend Colloquy) and add the chatroom #legacykernel, server chat.osx86.hu, for real-time help with AMD hackint0sh issues.

And yes, since you are beginning your journey in OSX86, i think that you should stay with Snow Leopard for a while, since it's stable and requires little to no maintenance. Remember to not to use distros: go with retail for a clean and safe installation.

Good luck.

• Like 2