Is there a way to change my mac's serial #?

DesertFox

59 posts in this topic

if your computer is stolen or u want to fix a computer under someone elses warranty maybe

Also if you had your logic board replaced and the serial number was not restored. That is what happened to me. The boot disk only boots as a hardware information disk on my blackbook sr 2.2. Does anyone have another newer version of this program or can someone test it on a newer macbook (Nov. 2007) to see if it works?

does this disk can work with mbp? I use it to restore my original serial number with mbp, mbp cannot boot from the disk.

Read the README!

it says to boot holding the D key. So i goes in to diagnostics mode and starts the AHT, if you dont have AHT on there then it wont work

Read the README!

it says to boot holding the D key. So i goes in to diagnostics mode and starts the AHT, if you dont have AHT on there then it wont work

After the AHT (apple hardware test?), does it allow you to change the serial number? The CD boots for me into the AHT, but there is no option to restore or change the serial number. Am I missing something?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to get this to work for my MBP 2.2GHz with 10.5.2:

I haven't been able to boot from the CD. :(

Is there a special way to burn this as a bootable CD? Disk Utility and Toast don't seem to have any option to "make CD bootable", and because the files are hidden, I am not sure if there is a certain file I'm looking for that will indicate that the CD is automatically bootable.

Does this program work with 10.5(.2)? I'd really appreciate any help regarding this subject, it'd be very useful.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Set System Serial Number CD

Here's a utility that allows you to set/change your computer's serial number on Intel based Macintosh computers.

NOTE:
Unfortunately this utility doesn't seem to work with a lot of the newer Intel Macs. If anyone has an updated version PLEASE SHARE IT! (or PM me so I can host it).

Download:

Size: 508 KB

Version: 0.3T100

Part Number: 063-6541

Instructions:
  1. Unzip "SysSerNum_cd.zip"

2. Insert a blank CD and open 'Disk Utility'.

3. In the menu go to "
    Images
    " > "
    Burn...
    "

4. Select the disk image "
    \\.PSF\Josh\SetSysSerSum.dmg
    " (the one you just unzipped) and click "
    Burn
    "

5. You're good to go! Simply restart your computer while holding down the "D" key and follow the on-screen instructions.

ReadMe for Set SysSerNum CD v.3T100.txt
(included in the DMG)
USAGE:
Insert the CD and start the system using the D key, then follow on-screen instructions.

If a problem occurs when reading the current value, then the utility will report it as "value unknown".
If a problem occurs when writing the new value, then the utility will report an error, e.g. "( -1  0xfffffe )".

ENTERING DATA:
You need to click in text the field before being able to enter data into it.

SHUT DOWN COMMAND:
On slot fed optical drives:
	- the disk will eject; 
	- a pause of approximately 10 seconds will occur;
	- the unit will then shut down.

On tray fed optical drives:
	- the tray will eject; 
	- a pause of approximately 10 seconds will occur;
	- the tray will inject;
	- the unit will then shut down.
In both cases the pause can be interrupted by pressing any key, including the Return key.

RESTART COMMAND:
The CD will not eject, the unit will immediately reboot.

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS:
'.'	  : "Cancel" button when available
'R'	  : "Restart" button when available
'S'	  : "Shutdown" button when available
return	: default button when outlined

Field Diagnostic Applications, March 2006

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i have never bothered to learn much about the inner workings of my computer, but i figure the only stupid question is the one never asked, so i was just wondering if you could boot your computer up in open firmware and type

reset-nvram

i could be wrong but wouldnt this clear your nvram, and therefore your serial number?

if not, then maybe you could do something more complicated, such as

" name of serial number property" delete-property

and then

nv-update

perhaps? even though you would still need to discover the name of the property containing the serial number string :D

as i said i dont really know what im doing, all this is just copy/paste modifications from whatever resources i could find on OF, and i thought i would ask if this might work before actually trying it on my computer :(

I recently had my logic board replaced,

When I got my MacBook back, some silly repair-centre person had left a CD in the drive called "SetSysSerSum-3T100". The readme file shows it is a utility that when booted into, allows you to, easily with a GUI, change the serial number of any intel mac!

Kinda wary of posting the dmg here, but if there's interest..!

o you hear about newer version of this software?

• 3 weeks later...
I recently had my logic board replaced,

When I got my MacBook back, some silly repair-centre person had left a CD in the drive called "SetSysSerSum-3T100". The readme file shows it is a utility that when booted into, allows you to, easily with a GUI, change the serial number of any intel mac!

Kinda wary of posting the dmg here, but if there's interest..!

As a genuine (and $1100 poorer) MacBook owner who merely wanted to add a serial number to a replaced mainboard, I thank you sincerely for the .dmg. However, as a genuine (and paranoid?) MacBook owner, I urge you to remove the access to this software which will surely be used by nefarious thieves to try and legitimise their ill gotten gains. I know the pricks that steal them are usually too dumb to attempt this, but somewhere along the line there will be someone with (just) enough brains to do it.

• 4 weeks later...
Any news on the version for the 2.2 and 2.4GHz version ?

Had to change the logicboard on my water-damaged 2.4 MacBook !!

just for the record there are 3 versions of this serial changing software and as some one said before it it gets to the wrong hands they can cause a lot of harm, i happen to have all 3 even the one that works on the new 2.2 2.4 macbook and pro vertion. if any one lives in ny and want to set the number i can help but i wont share it sorry.

i think yes (with my method), but i dont know it exactly :/

i think the dmg wouldnt work.

no, not wit commands, you need a bootable cd or usb stick with a special efi software (like the postet dmg, but that dont work anymore)

and macbook air has efi not open firmware?!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i think that if anyone wants to get this working for newer notebooks, they will have to try and figure out the grittier tech aspects of it. i myself have been trying, but lack the code savvy to draw any sound conclusions. i know that i could change the serial through the command line or through one of the various startup modes if i could find where it is and the format in which it is stored (probably a .string, but i dont know for sure). according to the original poster, the serial number is in NVRAM. as far as i can tell, this is not the case. perhaps other users will find this to be otherwise, but on my imac g5 (1gen) it is not here. you can derive conclusive evidence on this simply by opening terminal and entering

nvram -p

which will print the contents of NVRAM to the display. on my computer, the serial number is not among the items that show up.

it seems that the serial number is declared in the IOPlatformExpert header file in IOKit, but because it is a variable that will, well, vary depending on the computer, finding the actual value and storage location of such is something I don't quite understand. if anyone here has a deeper understanding of these things that me, please shed some light on this for us. i have a feeling that this is the only way that a functional means of doing this will be found.

edit: so in the IOKit.framework directory, there is a folder labeled serial. in this folder, there are two c header files. One is titled IOSerialKeys.h, the other ioss.h. The following tags contain their respective contents:

/*
* IOSerialKeys.h
* 2000-10-21	gvdl	Initial real change to IOKit serial family.
*/

/*
Sample Matching dictionary
{
IOProviderClass = kIOSerialBSDServiceValue;
kIOSerialBSDTypeKey = kIOSerialBSDAllTypes
		| kIOSerialBSDModemType
		| kIOSerialBSDRS232Type;
kIOTTYDeviceKey = <Raw Unique Device Name>;
kIOTTYBaseNameKey = <Raw Unique Device Name>;
kIOTTYSuffixKey = <Raw Unique Device Name>;
kIOCalloutDeviceKey = <Callout Device Name>;
kIODialinDeviceKey = <Dialin Device Name>;
}

Note only the IOProviderClass is mandatory.  The other keys allow the searcher to reduce the size of the set of matching devices.
*/

/* Service Matching That is the 'IOProviderClass' */
#define kIOSerialBSDServiceValue	"IOSerialBSDClient"

/* Matching keys */
#define kIOSerialBSDTypeKey		"IOSerialBSDClientType"

/* Currently possible kIOSerialBSDTypeKey values. */
#define kIOSerialBSDAllTypes		"IOSerialStream"
#define kIOSerialBSDModemType		"IOModemSerialStream"
#define kIOSerialBSDRS232Type		"IORS232SerialStream"

// Properties that resolve to a /dev device node to open for
// a particular service
#define kIOTTYDeviceKey			"IOTTYDevice"
#define kIOTTYBaseNameKey		"IOTTYBaseName"
#define kIOTTYSuffixKey			"IOTTYSuffix"

#define kIOCalloutDeviceKey		"IOCalloutDevice"
#define kIODialinDeviceKey		"IODialinDevice"

// Property 'ioctl' wait for the tty device to go idle.
#define kIOTTYWaitForIdleKey		"IOTTYWaitForIdle"

#if KERNEL
extern const OSSymbol *gIOSerialBSDServiceValue;
extern const OSSymbol *gIOSerialBSDTypeKey;
extern const OSSymbol *gIOSerialBSDAllTypes;
extern const OSSymbol *gIOSerialBSDModemType;
extern const OSSymbol *gIOSerialBSDRS232Type;
extern const OSSymbol *gIOTTYDeviceKey;
extern const OSSymbol *gIOTTYBaseNameKey;
extern const OSSymbol *gIOTTYSuffixKey;
extern const OSSymbol *gIOCalloutDeviceKey;
extern const OSSymbol *gIODialinDeviceKey;
#endif /* KERNEL */

/* Copyright © 1997 Apple Computer, Inc. All Rights Reserved */

/* ioctl's for all Apple IOSerialStream based streaming serial ports */

#ifndef _SYS_IOSS_H
#define _SYS_IOSS_H

#ifndef _POSIX_SOURCE

#include <sys/termios.h>
#include <sys/ttycom.h>

/*
* External clock baud rates, for use with cfsetospeed
*/
#define _MAKE_EXT(x)	(((x) << 1) | 1)
#define BEXT1			_MAKE_EXT(1)
#define BEXT2			_MAKE_EXT(2)
#define BEXT4			_MAKE_EXT(4)
#define BEXT8			_MAKE_EXT(8)
#define BEXT16			_MAKE_EXT(16)
#define BEXT32			_MAKE_EXT(32)
#define BEXT64			_MAKE_EXT(64)
#define BEXT128			_MAKE_EXT(128)
#define BEXT256			_MAKE_EXT(256)
#undef _MAKE_EXT

/*
* Sets the receive latency (in microseconds) with the default
* value of 0 meaning a 256 / 3 character delay latency.
*/
#define IOSSDATALAT	_IOW('T', 0, unsigned long)

/*
* Controls the pre-emptible status of IOSS based serial dial in devices
* (i.e. /dev/tty.* devices).  If true an open tty.* device is pre-emptible by
* a dial out call.  Once a dial in call is established then setting pre-empt
* to false will halt any further call outs on the cu device.
*/
#define IOSSPREEMPT	_IOW('T', 1, int)

/*
* Sets the input speed and output speed to a non-traditional baud rate
*/
#define IOSSIOSPEED	_IOW('T', 2, speed_t)

#endif  /*_POSIX_SOURCE */

/*
* END OF PROTECTED INCLUDE.
*/
#endif /* !_SYS_IOSS_H */

taking a break now but will be back.

• 2 weeks later...
i think yes (with my method), but i dont know it exactly :/

i think the dmg wouldnt work.

no, not wit commands, you need a bootable cd or usb stick with a special efi software (like the postet dmg, but that dont work anymore)

and macbook air has efi not open firmware?!

Hello,

I tried the 'famous' set system num serial boot CD found in the topic with my water-damaged intel macbook 2,4. Not working (doesn't boot) but I know there is something inside the dmg, opened it and explored it with FIlebuddy and found a great structure of files .

What is your working method ?

the 'special' EFI software you say it's needed would be " refit " boot CD ? (http://refit.sourceforge.net/)

S.