Zenith432

VoodooHDA with fix for random KP

38 posts in this topic

Link VoodooHDA 2.8.2d6.

Edit [Jan 29 2013]: Uploaded fresh build - v2.8.2d6 from branches/zdev@r86. Main changes are

• Shows channel types in Sound preference Pane.
  • InhibitCache=false setting is safe now with ATI & Nvidia controllers, and probably also works with most HDA controllers.
  • Updated HDA & Codec lists.
  • Minor fix to MSI interrupt handling.

Older builds below

Link VoodooHDA 2.8.1.

Edit [Jan 13 2013]: Uploaded rebuild of 2.8.1 to fix regression described in post #10. There was a conflict with AppleHDA.kext. [They can coexist now.]

Edit [Jan 11 2013]: Uploaded rebuild of 2.8.1 with

• Improvement for the delay at audio start.
  • Default sample rates are limited to 48KHz.

Edit [Jan 8 2013]: Rev 2.8.1 built from r78. Fixes some problems mentioned in svn check-in comments for r76-r78 following problems

• some issues with data safely for multi-HDA-controller support.
  • panic when verbose level set to 2.
  • Updating of prefPane volume knob and settings at bottom of window.
  • Setting InhibitCache=false in Info.plist now really enables caching. [Note: keep this value at true if caching causes problems.]
  • Low volume after sleep (now all mixer settings restored.)

Updated were VoodooHDA.kext (2.8.1) and VoodooHDA.prefPane (1.2.1).

Edit [Jan 6 2013]: Slice has released 2.8.0, with bug fix and improvements to the codec component inter-connection algorithm. Output now mixes PCM and inputs from microphone/line-in. Some audio feedback loops are eliminated. Built from r75.

Link VoodooHDA 2.7.6.

Edit [Jan 3 2013]: New version based on r73. All component now support systems with multiple HDA controllers. This is useful for people who have a 2nd HDA controller providing HDMI audio on a video card.

• prefPane has a new selector for choosing HDA controller to configure. Saves settings for all HDA controllers.
  • SettingsLoader loads settings for all HDA controllers.
  • Format of settings file has been changed (to support multiple HDA), and is now stored in ~/Library/Preferences/VoodooHDA.settings.plist.
  • If you have previous settings you'd like to keep, run VoodooHdaSettingsLoader once before running the prefPane. This will upgrade your old settings file (VoodooHDA.settings in same location) to the new format.
  • VoodooHDA.kext is now safe for multiple instances and getdump dumps codecs from all of them.
  • OS 10.6 and above.

I left the old build below for people who don't need multiple HDA support.

Link VoodooHDA 2.7.6d2.

I fixed a bug in VoodooHDA that was causing random KPs during startup, built a fresh version and uploaded.

Package Contains:

1. Fresh of build VoodooHDA.kext with bugfix. Should work on OS 10.6 and above. Built from r70, versioned 2.7.6d2. [install in /S/L/E]

2. Fresh build of VoodooHDA.prefPane. [install in ~/Library/PreferencePanes]

3. VoodooHdaSettingsLoader from sourceforge.

4. fresh build of getdump (r70), modified to dump codecs from all HDA controllers in the system.

Edit [12/27/2012]: Fix + getdump were incorporated into r69 by slice.

Edit [1/1/2013]: Fixed 2nd potential KP found by neurostatic (posts #2, #4), incorporated into r70.

Edited by Zenith432

Advertisement

nope...

4 KP's in a row, went through on the 5th.

At least it doesn't want to tear my speakers anymore when loading and it fixed the clipping sound issues..

Motherboard (old and cheap, i know, but works fine):

Asrock Wolfdale1333-D667 R2.0 W/Patched bios

HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec)

post-203071-0-37448900-1356748564_thumb.jpg

4 KP's in a row, went through on the 5th.

It's best to boot with "-f" after freshly installing it, because sometimes there's a stale copy in kernelcache. Anyhow, I can't read the stack trace because of the "You need to restart your computer" window that's hiding the crash address in VoodooHDA (it's that line with 7f81dc...). If it's still giving you KPs after booting with "-f", look for a panic log in /Library/Logs/DiagonsticReports and upload it.

It's best to boot with "-f" after freshly installing it, because sometimes there's a stale copy in kernelcache. Anyhow, I can't read the stack trace because of the "You need to restart your computer" window that's hiding the crash address in VoodooHDA (it's that line with 7f81dc...). If it's still giving you KPs after booting with "-f", look for a panic log in /Library/Logs/DiagonsticReports and upload it.

Sorry about the restart box, takes less than a second to appear and block the text. Will try right now.

Edit:

Tried with -f, and it crashed right away. Didn't change anything after, and it doesn't seem to generate a panic log either, i made sure to delete all logs before rebooting, and i find nothing in /Library/Logs/... /Users/.../Library/Logs/...

There are files that were generated in /Private/var/log but nothing that seems to concern the KP.

I tried to snap a picture in the half a second where the message is visible, which resulted in the blurry image attached to this post. Tell me if you can make out the important bits, otherwise I can try to take a better one, but it's a pain in the a** to try that way.

Btw, it just occurred to me - does -v force the console output to be logged on file ?

post-203071-0-45528400-1356959406_thumb.jpg

I tried to snap a picture in the half a second where the message is visible, which resulted in the blurry image attached to this post. Tell me if you can make out the important bits, otherwise I can try to take a better one, but it's a pain in the a** to try that way.
I was able to read it. It's a different bug. Please find here a quick attempt to fix it [see post #1]. See if it still gives you KPs. I'll come up with a more thorough fix after some code analysis.

Thank you for fixing it Zenith you saved me. It's years since I'm waiting for this update, now the tedius Kernel panic on boot is gone away million thanx!!!!

I have a problem with all VoodooHDAs. My audio card is a SoundMax (Analog Devices) AD1981HD.

When i put my notebook in sleep and i immediately after wake it my sound is very low (also if it's mute!). To solve this, i must turn up and then turn down the volume.

When i put my notebook in sleep and i immediately after wake it my sound is very low (also if it's mute!). To solve this, i must turn up and then turn down the volume.

This is solved in VoodooHDA 2.8.1 (commit r78 in svn.)

Thanks a lot for No KP VoodooHDA,that I searched for years.

In rev. 2.8.1,my situation is that it is no sound from system start-up.

Once computer sleep-&-wake,VoodooHDA is worked again.

So I turned VoodooHDA back to rev. 2.8.0.

Maybe all mixer settings need to be restored from OSX boot-up.

Maybe all mixer settings need to be restored from OSX boot-up.

They are. This shouldn't happen. Do you have prefPane and VoodooHdaSettingsLoader set up? Does prefPane show zero settings? Please run 'ioreg -d 1 -rn VoodooHDADevice' from a Terminal (with 2.8.1) and upload the printout. Thanks.

Following information is from ioreg.

+-o VoodooHDADevice <class VoodooHDADevice, id 0x1000001eb, registered, matche$
{
 "IOAudioDeviceManufacturerName" = "Voodoo "
 "VoodooHDAEnableHalfVolumeFix" = No
 "CFBundleIdentifier" = "org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA"
 "IOMatchCategory" = "VoodooHDADevice"
 "VoodooHDAEnableHalfMicVolumeFix" = No
 "Boost" = 2
 "IOPersonalityPublisher" = "org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA"
 "NodesToPatch" = ({"Node"=17,"Config"="0x03211040","Codec"=0},{"Node"=20,$
 "VoodooHDAVerboseLevel" = 0
 "IOAudioDeviceModelID" = "VoodooHDA:27d8 "
 "IOAudioDeviceTransportType" = 1869899890
 "VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix" = Yes
 "IOProbeScore" = 0
 "IOClass" = "VoodooHDADevice"
 "IOProviderClass" = "IOPCIDevice"
 "AllowMSI" = Yes
 "IOAudioDeviceName" = "VoodooHDADevice27d8"
 "InhibitCache" = No
 "Noise" = 0
 "IOAudioDeviceShortName" = "VoodooHDA "
 "IOPowerManagement" = {"DriverPowerState"=1,"CurrentPowerState"=1}
 "MixerValues" = {"iGain"=0,"PCM"=100,"Rec"=100,"iMix"=0}
 "VoodooHDAEnableMuteFix" = No
 "IOPCIClassMatch" = "0x04030000&0xffff0000"
 "IOUserClientClass" = "VoodooHDAUserClient"
 "IOAudioDeviceCanBeDefaults" = 7
 "Vectorize" = No
}

Yes,prefPane and VoodooHdaSettingsLoader installed.

KEXT is loaded without problem.

My sound device AD1984a need VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix enabled in order to adjusting volume.

But,it is no sound at all before system sleep.

Thank you Zenith. For the longest time the only audio option I've had for my ASUS MOBO 1828S Via chip has been VoodooHDA 0.2.1 and this only worked through SPDIF fiber out to an amplifier. My preferred method has always been to output through my GTX 465 HDMI audio chip.

The 2.8.1 compilation worked for HDMI as long as I have midi output set to 48KHz or less. I cannot figure out how to make midi output frequency stick at 48KHz. Even so this is very encouraging and I've had no KPs.

VoodooHDADevice <class VoodooHDADevice, id 0x100000318, registered, matche$

{

"Boost" = 0

"AllowMSI" = Yes

"IOAudioDeviceName" = "VoodooHDADevicebe5 "

"IOAudioDeviceModelID" = "VoodooHDA:be5 "

"NodesToPatch" = ()

"Noise" = 0

"IOPowerManagement" = {"DriverPowerState"=1,"MaxPowerState"=1,"CurrentPow$

"Vectorize" = No

"IOProbeScore" = 0

"VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix" = No

"MixerValues" = {"iMix"=0,"PCM"=90,"Rec"=70,"iGain"=0}

"InhibitCache" = Yes

}

+-o VoodooHDADevice <class VoodooHDADevice, id 0x100000317, registered, matche$

{

"Boost" = 0

"AllowMSI" = Yes

"IOAudioDeviceName" = "VoodooHDADevice3b56"

"IOAudioDeviceModelID" = "VoodooHDA:3b56 "

"NodesToPatch" = ()

"Noise" = 0

"IOPowerManagement" = {"DriverPowerState"=1,"MaxPowerState"=1,"CurrentPow$

"Vectorize" = No

"IOProbeScore" = 0

"InhibitCache" = Yes

}

+-o VoodooHDADevice <class VoodooHDADevice, id 0x1000001eb, registered, matche$
{
 "InhibitCache" = No
}

But,it is no sound at all before system sleep.

Set InhibitCache to true in Info.plist. It's not a safe setting. On some systems it works, on others it doesn't. Before 2.8.1, setting this to "false" didn't really do anything (caching was still off.) From 2.8.1, setting this to "true" enables caching. If it gives you problems, set it back to true.

This is solved in VoodooHDA 2.8.1 (commit r78 in svn.)

Great great great! Finally!

Is there a solution for the audio delay (about 1 second)? I tried the solutions in the common problems topic but no one didn't work.

Set InhibitCache to true in Info.plist. It's not a safe setting. On some systems it works, on others it doesn't. Before 2.8.1, setting this to "false" didn't really do anything (caching was still off.) From 2.8.1, setting this to "true" enables caching. If it gives you problems, set it back to true.

Sadly,I set it to true and still had no sound.

I tested rev 2.8.1 on desktop without prefPane and VoodooHdaSettingsLoader.

And it is no sound too.

Thanks for help anyway.

Installed modified 2.8.1 and HDMI audio still works perfectly with MIDI sample rate automatically set to 48KHz.

Great work Zenith!

Hi I have a problem with my sound this is what I got

Asrock B75 Pro 3 motherboard

i5 3550

4gig memory

Nvidia Ti 550

OsX 10.8.2

Alc 892

Voodoo 2.8.1

So install went great and all works my problem is I can get Hdmi audio but only 2 channels and would like to get 5.1 or 7.1 audio either through the hdmi or the Alc 892 optical out( right now only 2 channels ) I am a newb when it comes to dsdt so I am hoping for an easy fix but if not maybe a simple guide thanx peace also on the hdmi there are four shown in audio midi and the second says 8 channels but only the 2 front play on the test on a movie it is the 2 front without center vocals so I think Im close

I found another thing.

It is no sound and when changing volume made loginwindow process took high CPU loading with rev 2.8.1.

New rev 2.8.1 works great.

Great thanks!!!

Edited by Eps

Sorry foe my english, but voodoohda 2.8.1 with prefpane e voodoohdasettingloader installed, I have no sound on via vt1705 codec id 0x27d88086. I have sound only with voodoohda 2.7.4. Thanks.

Sorry foe my english, but voodoohda 2.8.1 with prefpane e voodoohdasettingloader installed, I have no sound on via vt1705 codec id 0x27d88086. I have sound only with voodoohda 2.7.4. Thanks.

I thought the same, but after tweeking with the VoodooHDA pref pane in settings, I got sound to work.

Hi Zenith,

I've just come back to VoodooHDA and I am happpy to see how much it has progressed! I have an MSI Z77MA-G45 with 892. I'm using VoodooHDA 2.8.2. I can't get auto switching between Line Out (Green Rear) and Headphones (Green Front.)

I've searched for "auto switching headphones" endlessly but there are many similar questions as mine but could not find the answers. I have attached my plist from the voodoohda kext and a dump. I only changed my device ID in the Info.plist.

Can you help out or point me towards the solution?

Thanks

dumpandplist.zip

Hi!

I've installed 2.8.0, then 2.8.1 and now 2.8.2b6 - but still have a problem with volume - it's too low and volume knob in preferencepane does nothing. I have MSI H55M-P31 motherboard, my device id is: 0x3b568086, ioreg:

bash-3.2# ioreg -d 1 -rn VoodooHDADevice

+-o VoodooHDADevice <class VoodooHDADevice, id 0x10000028f, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (269 ms), retain 7>

{

"Boost" = 0

"AllowMSI" = Yes

"IOAudioDeviceName" = "VoodooHDADeviceaa68"

"IOAudioDeviceModelID" = "VoodooHDA:aa68 "

"NodesToPatch" = ()

"Noise" = 0

"IOAudioDeviceTransportType" = 1651274862

"IOPowerManagement" = {"DriverPowerState"=1,"MaxPowerState"=1,"CurrentPowerState"=1}

"Vectorize" = No

"IOProbeScore" = 0

"InhibitCache" = Yes

}

+-o VoodooHDADevice <class VoodooHDADevice, id 0x10000028e, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (235 ms), retain 11>

{

"Boost" = 0

"AllowMSI" = Yes

"IOAudioDeviceName" = "VoodooHDADevice3b56"

"IOAudioDeviceModelID" = "VoodooHDA:3b56 "

"NodesToPatch" = ()

"Noise" = 0

"IOAudioDeviceTransportType" = 1651274862

"IOPowerManagement" = {"DriverPowerState"=1,"MaxPowerState"=1,"CurrentPowerState"=1}

"Vectorize" = No

"IOProbeScore" = 0

"InhibitCache" = Yes

}

second device is main. I've tried too enable halfvolumefix to no avail, so left it as it was before. Any ideas?