My Hackintosh Build (Comment/suggest/etc)

b419kid

22 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this; apologies in advance if its not.

I've put together a parts list for a possible hackintosh build. Looking for comments, suggests, criticisms, etc.

Also want to know how easy it will be to get everything running. (Vanilla kernel? DSDT? etc...)

>Attached below<

post-303809-0-36414800-1356499494_thumb.png

EVGA 650 Ti and Corsair 500 Watt PSU Builder Series. That is what was blocked.

Thanks for the list man. Really appreciate it.

Trying to understand what changes you posted.

• more ram
  • more HD space
  • lower wattage PSU
  • same graphics (?)
  • Cheaper case (?)
  • same board

Correct?

If so, I'll make a wishlist out of it on Newegg so I can save it.

Thanks for the list man. Really appreciate it.

Trying to understand what changes you posted.

• more ram
  • more HD space
  • lower wattage PSU
  • same graphics (?)
  • Cheaper case (?)
  • same board

Correct?

If so, I'll make a wishlist out of it on Newegg so I can save it.

Correct. The case is really nice and I use it for most of my customers. 16 GB of ram and a 1TB HDD. Then if you understand how PSU ratings work and the things they due to get what the say the one I listed is more powerful. Same MB as well.

Friends of mine recommended 430+ wattage because of the graphics card. Not necessary?

Also, as far as the actual hackintosh install for this build, will sleep mode work? Is there any way to know? (Based on board?)

------------------------

Anyway, thanks a lot for the post. Very generous of you. Building it soon, hopefully.

Friends of mine recommended 430+ wattage because of the graphics card. Not necessary?

Also, as far as the actual hackintosh install for this build, will sleep mode work? Is there any way to know? (Based on board?)

------------------------

Anyway, thanks a lot for the post. Very generous of you. Building it soon, hopefully.

Just buying a PSU that has "500" or "700" watts means nothing. It is how they are using and what they are using to get 500 or more watts. Your system will never pull more then say 380 watts (my estimate). The 500 watt I listed will be solid for you for many years.

Also I would buy the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB which is a little more money because they have a longer warrenty and are built much stronger.

Nice list Rampage... I would make one suggestion. You have chosen 4x4GB RAM. If you are looking for 16GB, spend just a little more and get 2x8GB. Running in a 4x4GB means you've used all your slots, and you'll have to replace to upgrade in the future.

A good place to get PSU estimates is here. Its what I used, and I'll never need more than 500w. I really did want a single 12v rail, but they were just too damned expensive for me, so I ended up with two 12v rails. It works - I'll just have to pay attention if I start adding stuff to my system.

If budget is your main concern, then by all means go with the 2x8GB as its 10 bucks cheaper. Best of both worlds: cheaper and upgradeability down the road!

www.newegg.com screen capture 2012-12-29-18-15-36.png

And if you are looking at a gaming (i.e. high power) laptop, I would recommend you check out the OSx68 Wiki pages for some HCL lists. You may find a system that you can use for your gaming rig, your college needs, and as a hackintosh. You could even run OSX in a virtual machine on that gaming laptop. Lots of ways to get a hackintosh running on a lot of the hardware that is out there right now.

Good luck with the build!

If budget is your main concern, then by all means go with the 2x8GB as its 10 bucks cheaper. Best of both worlds: cheaper and upgradeability down the road!

And if you are looking at a gaming (i.e. high power) laptop, I would recommend you check out the OSx68 Wiki pages for some HCL lists. You may find a system that you can use for your gaming rig, your college needs, and as a hackintosh. You could even run OSX in a virtual machine on that gaming laptop. Lots of ways to get a hackintosh running on a lot of the hardware that is out there right now.

Good luck with the build!

Both bad ideas.

Mixing kits is not a good thing to do. This is due to vendors changing thing and NOT TESTING kits together causing issues.

VM ware has issues and running on a laptop is not a go idea ever.

Just for your info, if you still need PSU...

You can choose a 400 watt PSU, and it maybe even runs your system just fine....

But it has a load of like 80% all the time, so it won't work for as long as the 500w, which handles the load easily.

This is why you shouldn't buy too small PSU, even if it can run your system.

Thanks for all the suggestions. However, I have decided to go with a gaming laptop. Hopefully, hackintosh works, right?

Thanks to everyone for their input.

0186-facepalm-30px.png

But that's just my opinion, don't take it seriously.

Good luck with the laptop! Dont forget to check out the HCL lists on the wiki so see if you can easily get OSX running natively.