Triple-boot Linux, OS X Mountain Lion, and Windows 8

dannymichel

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time with my triple boot.

I have Mint, Windows 8, and Mountain Lion installed.

I installed Windows first, then installed OS X, installed the latest Chameleon, installed Mint.

Mint has bios_grub , /boot, /home, and / partitions.

After the Linux install, i needed to fix the Windows boot, so I booted into the Windows DVD, set the windows partition to active with select disk 0, select partition 3, active.

Then I did

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /rebuildbcd

This fixed the Windows boot, but disabled OS X, which is what I want to boot with by default. I want to be able to select OS X, Windows, or Mint from Chameleon.

Since it disabled OS X, I then booted into OS X with my ML USB, and did

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1

f 2(my OS X HFS partition)

write

y

and tried rebooting

This didnt boot, so I booted into OS X again, did the same as above, but this time used the 'update' comand and setting partition 2 to active.

That got Chameleon to boot again, so i tried loading Windows from Chameleon, but the boot was broken

Then I tried fixing the windows boot again, this time without rebuildbcd, but that didnt work

While all this is going on with how I can only either get Windows or OS X to boot, and not both, Chameleon still doesnt even recognize my Linux partition as a choice to boot from.

Thanks in advance for any help

Windows 8 & Mac OS you can using EasyBCD but Linux has a problem with Windows 8 Loader, can't boot :)

I think you are right !!!

I had install Linux 12.10 on a external HD & Win. 8 on built in HD, now I can't boot Linux. But same setup can open on another Laptop, which has Win. 7 on main HD.

Anybody can give a solution?

Guys/girls, use DarwinDumper (DiskUtil & Bootloaders, Disk*) to display your boot MBR (master boot record) and PBR (partition boot record) records. It's much more easier to fix it when you see clearly what is installed and where.

I think that the best thing for Win and OSX on the same disk is:

- MBR: boot0hfs (not boot0) - will boot first bootable HFS+ partition

- OSX (HFS+) PBR: boot1h - will boot Chameleon's "boot" file from that OSX partition

- Win and Lin partitions should have their PBR booters

- Win should be made active partition

Guys/girls, use DarwinDumper (DiskUtil & Bootloaders, Disk*) to display your boot MBR (master boot record) and PBR (partition boot record) records. It's much more easier to fix it when you see clearly what is installed and where.

I think that the best thing for Win and OSX on the same disk is:

- MBR: boot0hfs (not boot0) - will boot first bootable HFS+ partition

- OSX (HFS+) PBR: boot1h - will boot Chameleon's "boot" file from that OSX partition

- Win and Lin partitions should have their PBR booters

- Win should be made active partition

On my case Mac & Linux OS's are on external HD, installed chameleon on this disk. I have selected external HD as first device for boot.

So I can boot windows 8 freely & when plugin external HD boot with chameleon.

Now with chameleon win.8, Mac OS - Lion & Mountain Lion boot normally, but if I select Linux partition it restarts!!!

I had chacked it on another hp laptop which has win.7 install, everything boot normally. On Linux nothing damage- nothing error!!!

Why it is not booting on my laptop?

@iFIRE: There is nothing to repair, when I have install Linux first time I have already do this.

I always fixed this by installing, os x, then windows, then linux. Then using diskpart.exe in the windows installer, marking the windows partition active, rebooting and then marking the osx partition active. It only worked for me in that order and it has worked every time. I never had to use the os x installer to make it bootable. This was with Windows 7, SL, and Mint 12.

Windows 8 & Mac OS you can using EasyBCD but Linux has a problem with Windows 8 Loader, can't boot :)

I think you are right !!!

I had install Linux 12.10 on a external HD & Win. 8 on built in HD, now I can't boot Linux. But same setup can open on another Laptop, which has Win. 7 on main HD.

Anybody can give a solution?

Isn't a solution, but I ended up using WIndows for boot and using EasyBCD to load Win, Linux, and OS X. You have to choose Grub 2 and automatically find and load Linux using EasyBCD

this is for Win7, MAC OS and Linux, look if help you : Repairing Windows 7 Boot | osxlatitude.com

Thanks, but that doesnt fix the Linux loading issue

I do exactly this on my laptop: ArchLinux, Lion, and Windows 8.

If you restore GRUB2 as the primary bootloader, you should be able to boot Mint and Windows 8; then, add something like the below entry to /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

menuentry "OS X 10.8" {
search --fs-uuid --set=root YOUR_OSX_PARTITION_UUID_HERE
multiboot /boot
}

OR

menuentry "OS X 10.8" {
set root=(hdX,Y)
multiboot /boot
}

(replacing X,Y with the correct values)

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

I do exactly this on my laptop: ArchLinux, Lion, and Windows 8.

If you restore GRUB2 as the primary bootloader, you should be able to boot Mint and Windows 8; then, add something like the below entry to /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

menuentry "OS X 10.8" {
search --fs-uuid --set=root YOUR_OSX_PARTITION_UUID_HERE
multiboot /boot
}

OR

menuentry "OS X 10.8" {
set root=(hdX,Y)
multiboot /boot
}

(replacing X,Y with the correct values)

Hope this helps!

Thanks, but my problem is that I want Chameleon to be my boot loader. I'm booting all 3 operating systems fine using EasyBCD

Did you try my recommendation? It's worked for me without fail as long as grub is installed to the linux partition and not the mbr. also i forgot you have to use gptsync as well to create a hybrid mbr. after you make the os x and windows partitions active, go back into linux and install gptsync, then run sudo gptsync /dev/sda . The only reason this technique wouldn't work is if windows 8 is different in the way it handles diskpart or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dannymichel,

Have you got any fix of your's?

I am still on same place - with chameleon quick restart!!!!!

Tried also chimera, if I select ubuntu it freeze on boot screen.

Thanks

I ended up giving up and using easybcd on windows to load all three. apparently it's not possible with the new grub and chameleon

I would like to confirm you , still I am able to boot all my OS's with chameleon on my another PC which has Win.7.

No problem!!!!! No freeze !!!!! No restart !!!!!!

But on Laptop with Windows 8, facing the problems.

Thank you

Palash

your guide will work for the older operating systems - not the current