New Install, need help getting 8500GT working

bug2k12

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get my first ever install of OS X running, 10.8.

I could not get it installed with my PCIe 8500GT 256MB as the screen would just go black during the install.

I took the card out an got the install completed with the built in Intel graphics, although it used low res 1024x768 resolution.

I'm now trying to get the Nvidia card running, I cannot get to the desktop with this card installed. I have put the NVEnabler_64.kext in the extensions folder and inserted the correct device ids for the card but on reboot I just get a black and white screen with random dots (http://biketech.org/pics/screen.jpg), although it appears from the disk activity that the system is running in the background.

The device id for the card I managed to get from my Linux install is 10de0421 which in the scripts appears to be 0x042010de&fff0ffff this mask looks fine for my card.

Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.

Hi

I don't know if this is much help to you or not - but I had similar trouble upgrading to Mountain Lion (from Lion) on one of my hackintoshes - I ended up replacing my 8400 GS with a GT240 and it now boots fine to the mac desktop (seems like my 8400 GS isn't supported in mountain lion but is / was in lion and below)

Kind Regards

Troy :)

I'm trying to get my first ever install of OS X running, 10.8.

I could not get it installed with my PCIe 8500GT 256MB as the screen would just go black during the install.

I took the card out an got the install completed with the built in Intel graphics, although it used low res 1024x768 resolution.

I'm now trying to get the Nvidia card running, I cannot get to the desktop with this card installed. I have put the NVEnabler_64.kext in the extensions folder and inserted the correct device ids for the card but on reboot I just get a black and white screen with random dots (http://biketech.org/pics/screen.jpg), although it appears from the disk activity that the system is running in the background.

The device id for the card I managed to get from my Linux install is 10de0421 which in the scripts appears to be 0x042010de&fff0ffff this mask looks fine for my card.

Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.

Please list specs.

Thanks for the replies.

The spec is:

Asus P5GC-MX

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140

4GB Ram

Nvidia 8500GT

Seagate 250GB SATA HD

The M/B uses an Intel 945GC chipset, Realtek ALC883 sound and Atheros L2 network adapter.

I have 2 of the Nvidia 8500GT cards and both have the same symptoms, my Linux box works fine with either of them.

I can't get the system to boot in safe mode with it installed in the system.

I have tried swapping it out for a Nvidia GT520, this card will boot into safe mode with the npci=0x2000 switch but not boot normally, just hangs.

Thanks.

Edit: ML doesn't support the 8500GT. Use 10.7 instead.

Boot up Lion, if you can't boot up normally, type "-x" when you're selecting your partition in the bootloader.

Open OSX86Tools

Click "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag"

The Boot editor window opens.

Click "GFX Strings" at the top

Scroll to the bottom of the list, and click "Custom GeForce"

Choose your graphics cards VRAM (In my case it would be 512MB for the 9600 GT)

Choose your video outputs (In my case the 9600 GT has two DVI's)

Now at the bottom, a code should be there, right click and copy the long code

Open your Boot.plist inside your Extras folder

Under GraphicsMode type

<key>device-properties</key>

<string> Paste Code Here </string>

Restart Lion and you should be able to change your resolution, use Launchpad properly, and enjoy Lion's graphics.

Edit: ML doesn't support the 8500GT. Use 10.7 instead.

Boot up Lion, if you can't boot up normally, type "-x" when you're selecting your partition in the bootloader.

Open OSX86Tools

Click "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag"

The Boot editor window opens.

Click "GFX Strings" at the top

Scroll to the bottom of the list, and click "Custom GeForce"

Choose your graphics cards VRAM (In my case it would be 512MB for the 9600 GT)

Choose your video outputs (In my case the 9600 GT has two DVI's)

Now at the bottom, a code should be there, right click and copy the long code

Open your Boot.plist inside your Extras folder

Under GraphicsMode type

<key>device-properties</key>

<string> Paste Code Here </string>

Restart Lion and you should be able to change your resolution, use Launchpad properly, and enjoy Lion's graphics.

Never use EFI injection. Bad idea. DSDT injection is the proper fix:

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/how-to-inject-your-nvidia-fermi-graphic-card-into-a-dsdt/