4 posts in this topic

I'm moving to OS X as my main OS, but I would still like to play my Windows games virtualized in Parallels.

I was considering the i5 3570 since that has great performance, best value for money (£160)

However I could spend up to £200 on an i7 if it is really worth the money. Would hyperthreading & 8 threads really be worth the extra money in this situation?

How much would it help performance to play my virtualised games, and what VM settings would you use in either case?

My other specs will be:

GA-Z77-D3H,

Nvidia GTX 560 Ti

12gb 1333mhz RAM

Vertex 4 + HDDs for VMs & storage.

Thanks!

Advertisement

I checked recently and virtualised windows gaming is now a reality with Vt-x and Vt-d at near native performance. The Vt-d enables IO resources of the gfx card to be assigned by the system direct to the VM. Parallels and Vmware have made significant strides in 3D acceleration.

However I could go that route as well, as long as I could also get that Windows install to boot in a VM too. Its just so awkward dual booting if your main system has lots open. Thanks for the reply

Thats pretty impressive.

Parallels has supported this for ages and IHMO it would be a far better setup. You could install windows to an SSD then virtualise it - once you go to an SSD booting from HDDs is just anoying

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By fusion71au
      Making a High Sierra USB Installer Entirely From Scratch in Windows
      This is a proof of concept tutorial, to show it's possible to create a vanilla High Sierra installer, entirely from scratch, in Windows (even without App Store downloaded "Install macOS High Sierra.app" from a real Mac ).  @PikeRAlpha's link to Apple's Software Catalog provides us with all the URLs necessary to download the needed files directly from Apple instead of some dubious source from the internet...

Pre-Requisites
      8GB or larger USB drive Boot Disk Utility v2.1.2017rev021b from @CVAD TransMac (free 15 day trial) Paragon Hard Disk Manager Free Download Installer Files Directly from Apple
      1)  Browse Apple's Regular Software Catalog and find the URLs to download the following 6 installer files...
      BaseSystem.dmg BaseSystem.chunklist InstallInfo.plist InstallESDDmg.pkg AppleDiagnostics.dmg AppleDiagnostics.chunklist (Hint - search page for "InstallESD" to find its URL and others nearby)

to a folder named "SharedSupport" on your Windows NTFS drive.  A browser download manager (eg Chrono for Chrome, dTA for FireFox) is handy since InstallESD is >4GB ---> allows you to pause/resume interrupted download...

2)  Rename InstallESDDmg.pkg to InstallESD.dmg
      3)  Edit InstallInfo.plist with WordPad/text editor to remove the chunklistURL and chunklistid keys for InstallESD, and renaming it from InstallESDDmg.pkg to InstallESD.dmg (example of edited file attached to this post)...
      Note:  You can verify the SHA1 checksum of your InstallESD.dmg and BaseSystem.dmg with the correct ones at this website.
      Boot Disk Utility to format the Installer USB and Restore OS X Base System HFS partition
      1.  Format USB with BDU & latest Clover ---> creates boot files in CLOVER partition + second FAT partition
      2.  Extract 4.hfs from \SharedSupport\BaseSystem.dmg with BDU --> save to it's local folder
      3.  Restore 4.hfs to USB second partition with BDU --->  2nd partition becomes bootable "OS X Base System"
      Paragon Hard Disk Manager to extend HFS Partition to its Full Extent
      Open Paragon Partition Manager Free and resize the second partition of the USB drive to the full size allowed.  Don't forget to apply the changes at the end...
      Transmac to Copy "SharedSupport" folder to OS X Base System
      1.  Open the TransMac program and navigate to the HFS+ Volume/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents folder.  Right click anywhere in the empty space on the RHS pane and select "Copy Here"...
      2.  In the next stage, select the "SharedSupport" folder we created above as the "Files and Folders to be copied to the Mac Volume"...
      Clover Settings
      Clover configuration is required now.  The default config.plist (in the Clover FAT32 partition of the USB) maybe sufficient to boot your machine if you’re lucky.  If not, look at the Clover Wiki, Clover Instructions and Clover Configuration Thread for pointers and edit /EFI/Clover/config.plist accordingly with Wordpad or Notepad.
      The location of the important configuration files for Clover are summarized below
      config.plist--->EFI/CLOVER folder DSDT.aml with or without SSDT.aml--->EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (don't need one if your DSDT is auto patched by Clover in config.plist) Kexts eg FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement --->EFI/CLOVER/kexts/<osx version> or /Other. NB BootDiskUtility by default already has FakeSMC.kext installed here.  You may need to add VoodooPS2Controller for your laptop keyboard/trackpad to work. If UEFI booting, you will most likely need one of the OsxAptioFixDrv-64 drivers copied from /EFI/CLOVER/drivers-off/drivers64UEFI to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI. If you want to use the installer to run High Sierra in Windows on VMware, you can follow my guide to set up the Virtual Machine and replace Clover's default config with EFI_Clover for VMware (which is compatible to run in VMware).  In the screenshots below, I have attached the USB Installer (in this case PhysicalDrive7) to my macOS Virtual Machine.  Reboot the system to the USB installer to install High Sierra ...
      What happens if we don't have access to TransMac or Paragon Hard Disk Manager?
      Not a problem, as long as we get "OS X Base System" bootable, we can launch terminal from the Utilities Menu to copy the SharedSupport folder over to the Installer app.  In essence, we will build the full installer app = 5GB+ on the target HD eg "Macintosh HD", by copying both the "small" installer app = 15MB (on "OS X Base System") and the SharedSupport folder from the NTFS volume (mounted in this example on /Volumes/DATA)...
      -bash-3.2# cd / -bash-3.2# cp -R Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/ -bash-3.2# cp -R /Volumes/DATA/SharedSupport /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/  
      ...then start installation with the startosinstall utility...
      -bash-3.2# /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD --converttoapfs NO --applicationpath /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app  
      The above steps can be automated with the attached "startosinstall.command" script, which will assemble "Install macOS High Sierra.app" on "Macintosh HD" and launch the startosinstall utility targeting the "Macintosh HD" volume.  Copy/download to "Macintosh HD", then run in terminal (after attaching DATA USB with /Shared Support folder)...
      cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD" chmod +x startosinstall.command ./startosinstall.command startosinstall.command.zip
      InstallInfo.plist_edited_10.13.2.zip
      InstallInfo.plist_edited_10.13.3.zip
      InstallInfo.plist_edted_10.13.4.zip
    • By abhinav
      How to install macOS 10.13 High Sierra in Vmware Workstation 14 Pro on AMD Machine
      Unlocker cmd already installed for vmware workstation 14
      vmx file edited...added smc.version="0"

My System Specs
      AMD FX8120 8 Core
      Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 RAM
      Asus 990FX Sabertooth Motherboard
      Sandisk Ultra II 480 GB SSD SATA 3
      Asus STRIX 960 GTX 4 GB DCU II Model Pixel Shader 5 DirectX 12 Support

Virtual Machine Specs
      16 GB RAM
      2 processors and 4 cores = 8 core processor
      SATA hard drive
      128 MB video memory

• By Allan
      Hello guys.   As some of you know, the option fast startup cause some problems in dual-boot Hacks, this happens because the Hibernation mode. But is possible you keep the fast startup on, and disable Hibernation: 1 - powercfg /h /type reduced This command line will reduce the size of hiberfile.sys file, in simple words, will cut the file in the half.

Some people recommend solve that by using this command line bellow:
      2 - powercfg /hibernate off But if you do that, you'll disable Hibernation and Fast Startup.

Use the first command line in Command Prompt (Admin) above (1º), and you'll enjoy this great resource in your dual-boot. 
    • By the_jff
      Hi,

I have a OSX 10.13.2 High Sierra guest running on Win7 pro.

The guest is only used to configure idevice with Apple configurator2.

guest and host as the latest itunes version and driver.

I use an iPhone 6 and 6S and it's working perfectly, my problem started when I got 2 new iphone8+ (and later while writing the post, using an iPhone SE, same problem), on the host machine, no problem at all, they work and they are displayed in itunes.

When I connect to guest, the loop start and I have to physically disconnect the usb cable for it to stop, trying the right-click on icon and connect/disconnect host... not working, it give me a unknown error.

I was running Workstation Pro 12.5, so I decide to upgrade to 14.1.1, same problem.

I tried on the Player 14, same problem... BUT, once, only once it work and I was able to see the device in Configurator and apply the profile that I needed.

I also have a WinXP and a Win7 VM, and they can connect to the iphone8, so look like it's not an issue with the host/vmware application...

VMTools is up to date

Set to USB 2.0,

Use the PC USB 2.0 or 3.0 port, with or without a USB hub (all those options work with the iphone 6/6s)

The "usb.quirks.device0 = "0xvid:0xpid" config been tested and not working

I delete all the files in c:\users\vmware\...

I tested a new fresh guest machine from scratch, same result (so I can get narrow out a faulty .vmx file)

The result is always the same... loop reconnect/disconnect on the guest machine, I hear the "dong" sound on Win7 when usb device is connect looping with the idevice sound when it connect...

This is the log file for the iphone6s with the connection working

2018-02-13T18:54:01.302-05:00| vmx| I125: USB: Found device [name:Apple\ iPhone vid:05ac pid:12a8 path:1/9/0/9/2/3 speed:high family:vendor,audio,hid,imaging virtPath:ehci:0 instanceId:USB\\VID_0E0F&PID_0001\\xxx serialnum:xxx arbRuntimeKey:6 quirks:slow-reconnect ownerdisplay:OS\ 10.13.2\ High\ Sierra version:3], connected to ehci port 0.

2018-02-13T18:54:01.302-05:00| vmx| I125: USB: Device [name:Apple\ iPhone vid:05ac pid:12a8 path:1/9/0/9/2/3 speed:high family:vendor,audio,hid,imaging virtPath:ehci:0 instanceId:USB\\VID_0E0F&PID_0001\\xxx serialnum:xxx arbRuntimeKey:6 quirks:slow-reconnect ownerdisplay:OS\ 10.13.2\ High\ Sierra version:3] should already be connected

And this is the iPhone8+ that doesn't work

2018-02-13T19:23:39.465-05:00| vmx| I125: USB: Found device [name:Apple\ iPhone vid:05ac pid:12a8 path:1/9/0/9/2/3 speed:high family:vendor,audio,hid,imaging virtPath:ehci:0 instanceId:USB\\VID_0E0F&PID_0001\\xxx serialnum:xxx disconnected:1 arbRuntimeKey:8 quirks:slow-reconnect ownerdisplay:OS\ 10.13.2\ High\ Sierra version:3], connected to ehci port 0.

2018-02-13T19:23:39.465-05:00| vmx| I125: USB: Device [name:Apple\ iPhone vid:05ac pid:12a8 path:1/9/0/9/2/3 speed:high family:vendor,audio,hid,imaging virtPath:ehci:0 instanceId:USB\\VID_0E0F&PID_0001\\xxx serialnum:xxx disconnected:1 arbRuntimeKey:8 quirks:slow-reconnect ownerdisplay:OS\ 10.13.2\ High\ Sierra version:3] should already be connected

I highlighted the only difference between both.

Any clue why ??

My next project will be to test it on another PC in the office, fresh Workstation installation.

Thanks